TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PTR: The New England Jaunt 2016

Good god, that thing must have gotten really terrible then. We rode it 2 years ago and I think it was re-tracked in the previous offseason.

I last rode it two years ago as well and it was much better then. Can't really blame them for letting it go to hell so quickly when most of their rides budget most likely goes towards keeping Boulder Dash in tip top shape.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phobia 2x - New Hotness alert. Phobia was amazing and a perfect addition for a park Lake Compounce’s size. Small footprint with a maximum amount of thrills, its a huge winner for them. A bit on the cheaper side too, it allows for them to save some money for future additions.

Cheaper side, Apparently not! LC was trying to minimize long term energy costs, so Phobia uses a kind of regenerative braking where it stores up power whenever it stops the coasters, and uses that to launch it; every 3rd launch, it's using stored power instead of the electrical grid. With that on top of the launch tech and everything else, that comparatively little coaster had a price tag well over $20 million; I believe closer to 25 million. That's straight from the park's GM.

^I also preferred Holiday Park's Sky Scream a bit to Tempesto (and I like the latter quite a bit). There seemed to be a bit more "snap" to it.

I felt the same way. Having two rides in the back of Phobia, going over the vertical drop snapped me 5 different positions in under a second. The laps bars allow more freedom than the OSTR's.

Yankee Cannonball 1x - I was kinda looking forward to this ride after all the different things I heard about it, but boy was that about as forgettable as it gets. Not a bad ride, but just not memorable and average in every sense of the word. I’m sure it could have been better but you can’t choose your row so we got stuck on wheel seats in the middle of the train. It was smooth due to the re-tracking and had a few pops of airtime but that was about it. Hopefully I can give it another chance one day.

You're not missing anything. Canobie Lake is a lovely little park and Yankee Cannonball is a perfectly average ride with a nice classic feel but Canobie fans are absolutely delusional and living in a fantasy world with the way they talk about Yankee Cannonball.

The ride was fantastic before this years retracking. It made the ride so much smoother, but really other than that it doesnt have much going for it anymore. It got rid of the airtime (which before, there was airtime over every hill)

^ You have ridden it many, many more time than I have.

That being said I've also heard it was always a hit or miss coaster on some days.

He's absolutely right. The airtime was insane when the track wasn't done over. Since then, GCI smoothed the coaster out and basically took out the airtime that was there.

Wildcat and Boulder Dash are my favorite two wooden coasters in New England, and Pink's is outstanding.

Great report, thanks for sharing! I went to college on the East Coast but haven't been up there during coaster season since. Never made it all the way out to Canobie, but it's on the list!

Wildcat also stands out to me as one of the worst coasters I've ever been on. And I think I prefer Boulder Dash to El Toro. Insane ride.

Don't forget Wooden Warrior which is also better than Wildcat or Yankee Cannonball (lol the Yankee Cannonball army is coming for me now).

Wooden Warrior was a top 5 coaster on the trip. Me personally it went:

1. Superman

2. Boulder Dash

3. Wicked Cyclone

4. Wooden Warrior

5. Untamed.

Edited by Jcoaster

Don't forget Wooden Warrior which is also better than Wildcat or Yankee Cannonball (lol the Yankee Cannonball army is coming for me now).

This. Wooden Warrior packs a hell of a punch for being so small. Easily the 2nd best woodie in New England.

And I think I prefer Boulder Dash to El Toro. Insane ride.

I have this debate with myself all the time. As of right now I'm leaning Boulder Dash as well, but I'm getting some rides on El Toro this evening to compare.

I think the setting is what gives the edge of Boulder Dash over El Toro for me. Insane ride and one of the best settings anywhere.

As evidenced by my name, I am a huge Canobie fan and have probably ridden the Yankee Cannonball well over 100 times. As Canobiefanatic and Canobie Fan have said, the Yankee Cannonball's retracking over the past 2 years has killed the ride's airtime after the far turnaround. You used to get pops of air the whole way into the brake run. It's still a really fun ride though since it's smooth and the first few drops are still good.