TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Should the suspended roller coaster be resurrected?

Or do you believe that the concept of a suspended coaster has become somewhat outdated since the inverted coaster came along? Me personally, I would love to see the suspended coaster make a modernized comeback. As it would not only mean that there would be new suspended coasters, it would also mean that maintainance for the pre-existing Arrow and Vekoma suspended coasters would be easier and they'd be able to last a while longer.

In fact, there already is a company that has already made a modernized suspended coaster....While it sure doesn't look like much, the Zamperla Air Force is essentially a modernized suspended coaster and I think that the concept of the Air Force needs to be expanded to make larger and more thrilling suspended coasters. Reminiscent of rides like Flight Deck/The Bat and The Big Bad Wolf....Of course, this is probably not going to happen, but one can dream, am I right?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it'd be awesome to see a new one of these. The only time in my life I've ridden an inverted and a suspended back to back was earlier this year, Banshee followed by Bat. They're both great rides and very different from each other. Really the only thing they have in common is that you ride below the track. The Bat's swinging on each turn was a very cool and intense experience; I wish there were more of them.

I'd LOVE to see suspended roller coasters make a come back. The few that I have been on are awesome coasters, and IMO highly underrated coasters. With all the new technology that is available to manufactures now (as opposed to when suspended coasters first came out) I can only imagine how much more amazing a modern day suspended coaster could be.

Actually, the Vekoma Family Suspended rides are still true suspended coasters. Each seat, while connected, can swing individually. Look at image 29 on this page.

Is it suspended the same way that the Arrow suspended were? Of course not. However, while larger rides have become less common, the ever growing lineup of Vekoma's suspended coasters have been taking off and show that there is still interest in the suspended coaster market...

R.I.P. XLR-8 in Astroworld.

My very first suspended cars coaster.

And I've ridden the ones in SFMM and CW and Kings Island.

I loved them all. So why not bring back a more updated version

of this particular suspended coaster?

Definitely!! I think the only company that could possibly do it before anyone else is Vekoma since they used to have a swinging suspended model in their catalog and, as stated, are already producing suspended family coasters which seem to be popping up a little more frequently.

Yes, I had wanted to try a suspended coaster for a while and got to ride Bat and Iron Dragon last year. I liked both coasters a lot even though Iron Dragon was kind of tame and wouldn't mind seeing a local park get a suspended coaster.

Yes! Suspended coasters are sweet and they are great for families.

Ninja was a GREAT coaster for me and my younger brother to get used to for the more extreme rides in the park.

And it is STILL and amazing (although short) coaster in the front and back seats.

Boomerangs are marketable. Larson loops are marketable. So yes, as long as your marketing team are not completely inept, they can market a suspended coaster.

Both of those are moderately inexpensive investments, so it doesn't take much to get a return. We're talking full scale rollercoaster here. Can you legitimately get a return on one is what I'm getting at?

In my opinion regarding the return of suspended roller coasters, I don't really think the concept is outdated, but it's too bad Arrow isn't around anymore to make swinging suspended coasters without floorless trains. The swinging suspended coaster concept is good idea for kids who just reach 48" mark and are still not up for riding the more thrilling coasters, but have outgrown kiddie coasters.

Suspended roller coasters can be marketable, if B&M, S&S, Vekoma, or some other company is willing to bring back old style suspended coasters without the floorless trains.

I also love the suspended model. But here's the million dollar question... Is it marketable?
It would be more difficult to advertise than if it included a "world's first" or any kind of record, but the first modern suspended coaster with cars gracefully yet forcefully swinging from side to side would give some good footage. I don't see this as any harder than advertising other mid-sized coasters.

Someone suggested B&M as a manufacturer. I don't see it, at least not until someone else does it, as great as their design would be. I could see Mack or especially Intamin doing it. A dark horse candidate is RMC since Schilke worked for Arrow and might have some insight into the finer details of the physics.

Anyway, I vote YES! A swinging suspended coaster could be a good family ride, but a company like Intamin could make one that's very intense.

Suspended coasters are much more of a nightmare in terms of maintenance when compared to a regular inverted family ride. The question one have to ask is if the added investment and the added cost for maintenance is going to pay itself back and also if the more expensiver suspended ride will bring in any more guests compared to the regular inverted one?

^ Well, hasn't it been a while since a new version of this one, has opened? (just checking here)

With new technology since any last coaster was built, this could be a new challenge to a coaster

designer and mfg-er. And a new ride experience for all of us.

My 5 cents.

And 'nightmares' happen, with the eventual maintenance required, with the best of them,

especially after just opening.

Actually, the Vekoma Family Suspended rides are still true suspended coasters. Each seat, while connected, can swing individually. Look at image 29 on this page.

Is it suspended the same way that the Arrow suspended were? Of course not. However, while larger rides have become less common, the ever growing lineup of Vekoma's suspended coasters have been taking off and show that there is still interest in the suspended coaster market...

I didn't know that. That's a neat little feature.

I think a suspended coaster with open trains like the one referenced earlier could be amazing. The cool part about suspended coasters was how you could use the terrain to enhance the ride without having to have massive inversions (think The Bat and Big Bad Wolf). You would need the right application and terrain to really make it nice, but very feasible and not as expensive as some other coasters.

I've only ridden one suspended coaster in my life, and that's Ninja at Six Flags Magic Mountain, which I believe is considered one of the better suspended coasters. The ride is a decent family coaster, but it's definitely no where near a great ride. In my opinion, spinning coasters like Cobra's Curse and Sierra Sidewinder and family launch coasters like Verbolten and Firechaser Express are better, more reliable options for family coasters.