TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Accidental death at Schlitterbahn in Kansas City.

How about I call you insane instead...lol

I'll take it. I've been called worse.

I'm not sure I'd ever ride an attraction at a theme/water park that included a signed death waiver and two weigh-in's before you load the ride.

The weigh-ins were for loading and just a double check (people do stupid things, like have someone else stand in for one weigh in). The waiver was just schtick (until it wasn't and as we see meaningless anyway).

I don't see any reason why a reputable ride maker couldn't make a safe slide attraction like that in the near future. I have no idea why a slide like that would need a 'airtime' hill.

They could, but won't anytime soon due to the bad publicity around Verruckt. Any tall slide will be compared to it, bringing up the tragic incident and court cases. I just don't see any operator/designer wanting that association.

As for need, extreme rides aren't about need. Insano and Kilimanjaro didn't need to be built either.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I'd ever ride an attraction at a theme/water park that included a signed death waiver and two weigh-in's before you load the ride.

You have two weigh-ins before you can ride Flying Turns at Knoebels and lots of rides weight you and you don't even know it's happening (like the Great Adventure parachute tower). Tons of water slides have weight limits and many of them are quite low (like King Cobra at Hurricane Harbor in NJ and tons of rides at Volcano Bay).

I agree that it's sort of insane to want to ride the ride now, but before the incident I don't think I would have been that turned off by that. Most people who rode it claimed that there wasn't a waiver, but if by some chance there was I would have assumed it was either a publicity stunt or just America being America. I mean... we signed a death waiver the other day to go snow tubing. Snow tubing...

I didn't know other rides did that at established parks. The more you know.

Well...I'm a chicken with water rides anyway...so I'm not going to pretend to say I would have rode it even without a waiver. I did intentionally pass the park for going to Oceans of Fun (and WoF) twice on KC trips while that slide was open. The trill wasn't that appealing to me and I did question its safety cause their is no way I'm riding a water ride slide that checks your weight. I'd rather locked in on a coaster that has a better record of not going airborne and doesn't use velcro straps.

Do riders get some type of extra special coaster credit for riding it?

Volcano Bay, and lots of other very modern slides world wide check your weight before you go on (I see it particularly on modern ProSlide slides). If you seem over/underweight, you might be checked for certain trapdoor slides, including Aqualoops. Hydromagnetic ProSlide water coasters also need to weight your group for a red light/green light so your raft isn't overweight.

This incident and the trials were brought up at my workplace today with a co-worker asking about traveling with their kids to water parks within driving distance. When a specific park's water coaster was brought up, they voiced their concerns about Verruckt's incident. I had to tell them they shouldn't need compare other area's water park slides to this one because those others were built by companies who had designed their rides much more thoroughly to safely enjoy, and that it's highly unlikely they'd face a similar problem with those other parks.

Regardless of whether it may have eased their worries or not, it still saddens me that this whole thing is now likely going to affect people's travel thoughts or plans to any other water parks.

Regardless of whether it may have eased their worries or not, it still saddens me that this whole thing is now likely going to affect people's travel thoughts or plans to any other water parks.

Me too. And if it's affecting tamer established rides what will it do to new more extreme rides?

You have two weigh-ins before you can ride Flying Turns at Knoebels and lots of rides weight you and you don't even know it's happening (like the Great Adventure parachute tower). Tons of water slides have weight limits and many of them are quite low (like King Cobra at Hurricane Harbor in NJ and tons of rides at Volcano Bay).

I agree that it's sort of insane to want to ride the ride now, but before the incident I don't think I would have been that turned off by that. Most people who rode it claimed that there wasn't a waiver, but if by some chance there was I would have assumed it was either a publicity stunt or just America being America. I mean... we signed a death waiver the other day to go snow tubing. Snow tubing...

I didn't know other rides did that at established parks. The more you know.

Well...I'm a chicken with water rides anyway...so I'm not going to pretend to say I would have rode it even without a waiver. I did intentionally pass the park for going to Oceans of Fun (and WoF) twice on KC trips while that slide was open. The trill wasn't that appealing to me and I did question its safety cause their is no way I'm riding a water ride slide that checks your weight. I'd rather locked in on a coaster that has a better record of not going airborne and doesn't use velcro straps.

Do riders get some type of extra special coaster credit for riding it?

You didn't miss much by not riding it. I rode it once the year it opened with my kids just so I could say I rode the tallest water slide in the world. The ride is really not that thrilling - so I never bothered riding it again even though my kids rode it a few more times in subsequent years. I'd prefer a front row ride on just about any roller coaster to Verruckt any day.

• 4 weeks later...

That might be Schlitterbahn's owners best way out.

I'm not sure that Six Flags would want to mess with the KC market. Park could be a bargin for an investor though. Buy it, rebrand it, and tear the slide down would be a good way to restart the park.

It's getting morbid that the slide is still standing (I know the courts are preventing it from being torn down).

It's close to a 4hr drive from Schlitterbahn KC to the nearest Six Flags (in Eureka, MO). The only other major water park in Kansas City is Oceans of Fun, which is a bit of a drive from Schlitterbahn, too (Schlitterbahn is kinda out in the farthest spot you could possibly consider to still be part of the KC greater metro area).

I'd feel better about this park if Six Flags took it over. I've never experienced any major safety issues at Hurricane Harbor in St. Louis, almost 20 years on now. The Kansas suburbs have a lot of people, and not having to drive across town could be a big selling point. It's at least 45 minutes from the western suburbs to North Kansas City.

I'd feel better about this park if Six Flags took it over. I've never experienced any major safety issues at Hurricane Harbor in St. Louis, almost 20 years on now. The Kansas suburbs have a lot of people, and not having to drive across town could be a big selling point. It's at least 45 minutes from the western suburbs to North Kansas City.

I grew up near both parks and still visit once a year. We visit both water parks on consecutive days most trips - and they are both always packed early on in the day (dependent on the weather of course). You have to get there early or buy a Fast Lane Pass to avoid huge lines. Add one more decent waterslide where Verruckt was and they'd be good to go (even be ok without it).

well, six flags does seem to have a recent knack for purchasing mediocre waterparks with 1 death, so i'm not sure it'd be overly far fetched

Six Flags purchased White Water Atlanta in 1999, one year after an e.Coli death in a kiddie pool area. They kept the White Water name making it the only separate gate water park in the chain not branded Hurricane Harbor. (SFoG would add a small Hurricane Harbor park to the theme park across town in 2014.)

• 3 weeks later...
That's terrifying.

I wonder what condition their other parks are in. I would imagine that we are looking at a systemic failure here. I could be wrong, but I struggle to see one park in a chain with so many critical deficiencies, and the other parks being steller examples of safety.