TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Wooden Coaster Collection

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1 is Holiday World. For me, the Voyage is perfection itself. I thought the recent work GCI did on the Legend improved the ride a lot. The Raven is great too -- I just wish it was longer.

#2 is Knoebels. I found a new top 5 wooden coaster in Twister when I rode it this summer. Phoenix and Flying Turns were great fun too.

#3 is Six Flags St. Louis. Screamin' Eagle and American Thunder are top notch, and I had a couple of pretty good rides on the Boss this summer.

#2 is Knoebels. I found a new top 5 wooden coaster in Twister when I rode it this summer. Phoenix and Flying Turns were great fun too.

It's kind of funny how many people (even in this thread) just flat out forget about Flying Turns being a wood coaster. It's not mind-blowing but it's a lot of fun and really helps make the collection even better and more well rounded.

*1. Dollywood: 2 top 10 woodies, one being probably the best in the US. (*Too bad LR was closed when I went...)

1. Holiday World: 3 coasters in my top 15 wood...

2. Knoebel's: 1 perfect coaster, and 2 other coasters that are both really good too.

3. Six Flags Great America: One top 10 wood, and a lot of other solid woodies, none of which are bad. (American Eagle Red is outstanding!)

4. Silverwood: Both of their CCI's are very good!

Holiday World without a doubt. All three wooden coasters are so ridiculously intense!

There are many other parks with great wooden coasters, but no park has that one, two, three punch like Holiday World!

I know what you mean. After riding voyage it was one, two, three hard punches to my kidneys

^yep. Everyone seems to hate it, but I absolutely love The Boss. Aside from that pothole at the bottom of the 3rd turnaround, I've ridden way rougher woodies. And although it seems agreed upon that American Thunder is a great ride (it is) I also think that Screamin Eagle is severely underrated. That thing is just nonstop airtime.

Knoebels. You've got a one-of-a-kind flying turns, the legendary Phoenix, and the Twister for lateral fans. Generic summary, but they have the coasters that are the most fun, and easily accessible for the whole family without fatigue between re-rides.

Although I have heard someone has a huge collection of Big Dipper coasters.

Holiday World without a doubt. All three wooden coasters are so ridiculously intense!

There are many other parks with great wooden coasters, but no park has that one, two, three punch like Holiday World!

I know what you mean. After riding voyage it was one, two, three hard punches to my kidneys

I've never experienced any major rough moments on their coasters but I have heard stories about all three getting worn down near the end of the season. When I went to HoliWood Nights last year, they were all running very smooth considering how intense and hectic the layouts are. Not butter smooth but nothing painful. I totally get it though. My bf loves intense woodies but he could only handle Legend and Voyage so many times in a row.

Throw me in the Knoebels camp because they are the only park that I have been to that has more than one wooden coaster, yet didn't have a wooden coaster that sucked.

Kennywood would be a close 2nd, but the Racer wasn't particularly great only because it was so slow and boring. It was like riding a mini-Mean Streak with Gemini trains.

• 5 months later...

Given that having a "collection" means having more than one, these would be the global parks that have a minimum of two operational wooden coasters:

I bolded the parks that seemed to be getting the most mentions in this thread.

Blackpool: 5

SF Great America: 4

Kings Island: 3 + 1 U/C

Mt. Olympus: 4

SF St. Louis: 3

Holiday World: 3

Kennywood: 3

Knoebels: 3

Hersheypark: 3

Michigan's Adventure: 3

Kings Dominion: 3

Canada's Wonderland: 3

Adventureland: 3

Indiana Beach: 3

Camden: 3

Dollywood: 2

Lake Compounce: 2

California's Great America: 2

SF over Georgia: 2

SF America: 2

Silverwood: 2

Worlds of Fun: 2

Valleyfair: 2

Waldameer: 2

Lakemont: 2

PortAventura: 2

Carowinds: 2

Conneaut Lake: 2

Playland: 2

Stricker's Grove: 2

source: RCDB

Please correct any mistakes or omissions I may have made.

My vote goes to Holiday World, though Kings Island may soon outdo it with Mystic Timbers.

Of the major contenders here, i still have never been to Knoebels or Hersheypark (or Blackpool for that matter). I'll have to work on that.

Edited by Steely Dan

I guess id say Six Flags Great America and Holiday World.

Goliath is awesome! Cool to have a homepark with an RMC. I really enjoy American Eagle too even if its a little rough. I like how its steep and pretty tall. It was cool when one of the trains went backwards. Viper is a nice little coaster too although i remember it was a lot more fun when i was younger. It had better air time if I remembered. That might be because we often dont end up all the way in the back. The lines tend to be short for the seats more towards the front. (at least when i go to Great America)

Holiday World has Voyage which was a lot of fun. Love the tall steep drops and the overbanked turns are awesome too. Something you dont see to often on wooden coasters. It kind of has that "headchopper" effect that makes it thrilling. The whole "omg we are so close to the side of the track!" type deal. Legend was fun of course and Raven packed a punch for being a smaller coaster.

I noticed knoebels gets a lot of love on this site. I assume as Cedar Point is to epic modern steel coasters. Knoebels is to traditional wooden coasters and traditional flats. So its like the "Cedar Point" of the classic/old school amusement park category.

1. Holiday World (Voyage is amazing, Legend outstanding, and Raven is great)

2. Knoebels (Phoenix is fantastic and Twister is very good. Flying Turns is unique, but not very exciting)

3. Kennywood (Jack Rabbit and Thunderbolt are awesome and Racer is pretty fun)

Honorable Mentions: Kings Island, Kings Dominion, and El Toro

I can't wait to get to Dollywood and try out their woodies.

Got to give a vote Blackpool which has the most wooden coasters (5). The wooden wild mouse there is still my favourite coaster.

It did have as many as 6 operating between 1958 and 1981 and I was lucky enough to be able to ride the Virginia Reel there before it closed in the early 80's

I would love a trip over the pond and would really like to visit Kennywood one day.