TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

INTERACTIVE: Cedar Fair Predictions for 2017

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, a Full Throttle type coaster would be real good at Worlds of Fun, but it definitely won't be coming this year. In my honest opinion, I think they may have to wait until 2019 or 2020 until their next coaster. Canada's Wonderland, Valleyfair, and Kings Dominion are next in line to receive coasters in front of Worlds of Fun.

* and yes, it autocorrects full t h r o t t l e e to YOLOCOASTER

^ Check the Carowinds thread. There's a video in there that you need to watch. Then it'll make sense.
Cedar Point: Update Soak City with 2 new slide complexes' date=' new gate for Soak City

Kings Island: GCI woodie (and possible Trio Tech in Crypt building, but most likely not)

Canada's Wonderland: Mass Effect 4D

Knotts Berry Farm: Soak City Expansion and flat ride in Plantseeker's spot with Fiesta Village refresh

Worlds of Fun: 2 Flat Rides and Luanching Floorless Coaster

Dorney Park: Gersualter Sky Roller and Planet Snoopy Expansion

Kings Dominion: General Improvements with Plants vs. Zombies in Action Theater

Carowinds: 4 Flat Rides and Centurion (a floorless vortex conversion)

California's Great America: Major (Carowinds styled) Waterpark addition

Valleyfair: Triotech

Michigan's Adventure: Zamperla Moto Bike[/quote']

Worlds of hold up what happened here?!

Yeah. I think that WoF's next coaster will be in 2017 and will be a luanching floor less. Cedar Fair did say that their would be a new coaster in their chain (for 2017) that had never been done before, and this fits it.

I'm hoping this Kings Island project is really above and beyond for a traditional GCI wood coaster with the surrounding area/plaza/layout/etc. Every year since 2012 Cedar Fair has done a kind of "transformative" addition to a park or area, often with a massive B&M coaster. I'm all for Cedar Fair moving in directions outside of another new B&M (Banshee was better than expected but Valravn was nothing special IMO) but if that means "just" another GCI I'm not sure that's a huge leap--it just might not have the same overall impact of a massive B&M that inserts itself into the top three at the park before even being built.

That said, I'll go with pretty much what coasterbill said but I'm not sold on Valleyfair's dark ride... maybe another slide complex at Soak City where their Looping Starship is? I'm not really familiar with that park. And I feel like Hurler will actually be in-house instead of GCI but I might be way off base with that.

If all holds true though this is a very small year for these parks. I thought I heard/read something that 2017 would be "back to normal" after a smaller 2016 investment with finishing the Hotel Breakers transformation. I don't know, something kinda "off" at this point.

If all holds true though this is a very small year for these parks. I thought I heard/read something that 2017 would be "back to normal" after a smaller 2016 investment with finishing the Hotel Breakers transformation. I don't know, something kinda "off" at this point.

If I remember correctly, Cedar Fair does have a large chunk of debt coming due in 2018. Close to $250 million or so, with larger chunks due in 2020-2021. Could be the reason for what seems to be a lack of investment dollars in park attractions so far for 2017. The interest you could save on paying down that debt could probably pay for a future coaster itself. Glad I don't carry that debt on my balance sheet!

If I remember correctly, Cedar Fair does have a large chunk of debt coming due in 2018. Close to $250 million or so, with larger chunks due in 2020-2021. Could be the reason for what seems to be a lack of investment dollars in park attractions so far for 2017. The interest you could save on paying down that debt could probably pay for a future coaster itself. Glad I don't carry that debt on my balance sheet!

How did they acquire all of that debt? I can't think of anything recent that would have cost that much, other than maybe the paramount park purchasing in 2006.

Canada's Wonderland, Valleyfair, and Kings Dominion are next in line to receive coasters in front of Worlds of Fun.

Okay, thanks! Poor Kings Dominion. It seems like they've been getting cut in the "line" since 2012 (at least according to insiders).

Image.jpg.f81937a6c41bca58b7c588f2252ac736.jpg

Te

How did they acquire all of that debt? I can't think of anything recent that would have cost that much, other than maybe the paramount park purchasing in 2006.

I dont think big businesses use liquid cash for cap expenses, so I'm assuming liabilites must be paid before a certain amount of time (like when u have 18 mos no interest at Best Buy) before crazy interest accrues. I'm no financial expert by any means tho

They bought the Paramount parks for $1.25 billion dollars, then financed the principal amounts of debt to be due years down the road...

..We are now getting close to the years down the road.

They bought the Paramount parks for $1.25 billion dollars, then financed the principal amounts of debt to be due years down the road...

..We are now getting close to the years down the road.

I feel that if this is now becoming a problem, they definitely helped secure the payments with all of the additions added to every paramount park except CGA, which has been stated to get a huge renovation in the coming years.

Let's look at the huge additions (besides the Windseekers) for all of the paramount parks since 2006 first.

Canada's Wonderland got Behemoth, Leviathan, Wonder Mountain's Guardian, and Skyhawk.

Carowinds received Intimidator and Fury 325, with next year's flat ride additions, (the Mondial Topscan being a highlight of the additions and should be looked at with enthusiasm. These rides are extremely fun and insane.)

King's Island added Diamondback, Banshee, and now Mystic Timbers for next year.

King's Dominion only had one major coaster, I305, and Delirium.

California's Great America almost became an abandoned park from the forever dispute with the now neighboring football team, losing Invertigo in the process. However, they did receive Gold Striker, and will be getting some major expansions in the coming future.

This also includes what would be beneficial additions all the other seasons from general improvements to the Planet Snoopy's scattered around the parks.

With this, I presume the financed debt should be taken care of pretty well, as well as presumed help from the sister parks. Every park did get at least one major addition since 2006, whether that's a relocated coaster or not.

In a whole, Cedar Fair has done extremely well to make sure that they didn't sink themselves with the purchase. This is why I still hold hope for the idea that Valleyfair will be getting the next major additions coinciding with CGA in the next few years. They do have to look at paying off the financed debt first, which could be the reason for the purchase of older rides, and the only major coaster in any Cedar Fair park for next season is Mystic Timbers.

I don't think we will see a huge multi-million dollar thrill coaster from any Cedar Fair park this year, but I wouldn't rule out another family coaster going somewhere. What would it be and where? I have no idea. What other parks have been clearing land recently?

Cedar Point: Soak City Expansion, possible relocation of Ripcord

Kings Island: GCI Woodie

Canada's Wonderland: Action Theater Attraction

Knott's: Soak City Expansion

Worlds of Fun: Flat ride (possibly a vintage flat ride)

Dorney Park: Absolutely nothing

Kings Dominion: GCI Hurler upgrade

Carowinds: 4 vintage flat rides

CGA: Flat ride (possibly a vintage flat ride)

Valleyfair: I'll go along with this bumper car building triotech rumor

Michigans Adventure: You're kidding me, right???

Fixed that for ya'!

If I had taken the time to write out a list of CF predictions for 2017, it would have looked almost exactly the same as this^ Thanks for saving me the time, Bill!

Two slight differences I'd make...

-I'm going with an RMC of Hurler at Kings Dominion, as I just don't see what actual benefit GCI does for that boring coaster (similar to how I feel about GCI Mean Streak). Plus, there have been some vague hints of RMC finally teaming up with CF, and KD is in a competitive market, where a simple RMC of Hurler could really bolster their presence there next year. I could be off here, but what's the fun in making predictions if they're all very predictable (CP, KI,DP, MiA), or conservative?

-I'm not sure if CF would do two Triotech Dark Rides in a year, but I'm more inclined to go with WoF than VF, if I had to choose. So I'm not going to choose, just pick one for each of them next year!

Not likely 2017 at this point, but I will be SHOCKED if a large B&M coaster hasn't descended on CW by 2018 at the latest, just sayin'...

Cedar Point: Possible relocation of Ripcord to Shoot the Rapids' location

Canada's Wonderland: Action Theater Attraction

Knott's: Soak City Expansion

Worlds of Fun: A used ride from another park that is not Cedar Fair

Dorney Park: A used ride from another park that is not Cedar Fair

Kings Dominion: GCI Hurler upgrade

CGA: A vintage flat ride

Valleyfair: Triotech dark ride/coaster

Michigans Adventure: Maybe some new grass

KI- GCI Woodie (Already announced)

CP- Soak City Expansion, gets new complex like Snake Pit at Dorney

KD- Mass Effect in Action Theater

KBF- Gerstlauer Sky Roller (what CW got last year), Soak City Expansion

CW- Park Improvements

WOF- Huss Troika and Huss Condor

DP- Idk, another flat ride?

VF- Triotech Dark Ride

Carowinds- Music Express, and another flat ride from overseas

CGA- Vortex gets the "Mantarou" treatment; converts to a floorless

MA- New trees!

Cedar Point: Off year

Canada's Wonderland: More waterpark expansions

Knott's: Pony express gets dumped

Worlds of Fun: A used ride from another park that is not Cedar Fair

Dorney Park: Waterpark additions

Kings Dominion: A new flat next to delirium

CGA: Vortex conversion

Valleyfair: New army corp wall and levy to get more buildable land for future growth

Michigans Adventure: Bowl slide

CP: Water Park

KI: GCI Woodie (already announced)

CW: Snoopy Expansion

KD: Mass Effect

Carowinds and WOF: Vintage Flats

KBF: Skyhawk style ride

Dorney: Skyhawk

CGA: Rougarou treatment on Vortex

VF: Flats

MIA: New trash can

Cedar Point: 3 drop pods and 3 tubes and relocation of the sky coaster to shoots the rapids and mean streak rehaul by gci

Kings Island:Mystic Timbers and battle field ride in action theater

Canada's Wonderland:4 drop pods slides

Knotts Berry Farm:4 drop pods 2 tubes and a Python

Worlds of Fun:Troika, condor,disco coaster

Dorney Park:dark ride

Kings dominion:action theater need for speed ride and hurler retrack

Carowinds: Troika, Breakdance, Music Express, Top Scan, Wave Swinger,skyroller,disco coaster, revolution, and python slide

California's Great America:stand up to floodless

Valleyfair:snoopy expansion

Michigan's Adventure:planet snoopy

I might as well try.

Cedar Point: Major Soak City expansion (like Carolina Harbor); GCI makeover of Mean Streak

Kings Island: Mystic Timbers

Kings Dominion: GCI makeover of Hurler; New 4D/5D ride (like Mass Effect or Plants vs. Zombies)

Canada's Wonderland: New 4D/5D ride

Knott's: Soak City expansion; Fiesta Village renovation w/ new flat in Windseeker's spot

Carowinds: New (old) flat rides

Worlds of Fun: New (old) flat rides

Valleyfair: *MAYBE* a Triotech ride

Great America: Floorless Vortex

Dorney Park: Nothing

Michigan's Adventure: Nothing

Cedar Point - RMC Mean Streak and a major water park expansion. The park is still being funded heavily into because of the Breakers upgrades. Turning Cedar Point into even more of a resort destination for multiple day visits.

Kings Island - Mystic Timbers. Something in the shed.

Carowinds - 4 or 5 new flat rides, depending on who you ask.

Kings Dominion - Hurler retracking from GCI

Valleyfair - Obviously a new B&M. This is the biggest addition in the chain this year, sorry Canada's Wonderland.

Canada's Wonderland - Ziz. A brand new water slide.

Knotts - new food offerings.

Worlds of Fun - 1 or 2 flat rides depending entirely on how many Carowinds gets.

Dorney Park - whatever flat rides are removed from Worlds of Fun and Carowinds to make room for their new refurbished flat rides.

Michigan's Adventure - Perfect the way it is. Nothing. They don't want to mess up the charm this park has developed over the last many years of nothing.

California's Great America - I'll jump on the conversion train.