TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Pokemon GO at Theme Parks!

It's stupid. Get a life. People are trespassing to get these stupid things. Grow up and do something worthwhile. I absolutely will rain on your parade when it starts to consume you to the point it affects other people. Some people's idea of fun is stupid. There rant over.

You realize you are posting on a theme park message board, right? That's something in itself that would make the majority of people go "wait, what?"

People will do stupid things regardless of whether or not the game existed. In fact, you can argue the game is just helping weed them out at a quicker rate.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before, but it is kind of cool. Every single area I've seen where people congregate for Pokemon, it's been nothing but people socializing over something they are enjoying. Kudos to all the theme parks striking while the iron is hot and participating in the phenomenon, since it encourages people to visit new places and get out and walk.

I visited USH with a friend and took the studio tour...I'd say 3/4 of the tram was playing the game for the opportunity to go in an area they wouldn't normally be able to in order to catch pokemon. There's even a gym on the backlot that I am sure USH employees are constantly fighting over.

I'm not against the game itself or having fun. No one is talking about "acting" stupid. Sure we all do stupid things. Pretty sure I made it clear I'm against it controlling people to the extent that they're breaking the law and inconveniencing those around them.

I'd bet 99.99% of the 21 million (and counting) people playing the game are not breaking the law and/or incoveniencing people. It's just that negativity tends to attract more attention from media etc. Most people, like someone mentioned earlier, are using the app to have fun, exercise, socialize etc;

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd bet 99.99% of the 21 million (and counting) people playing the game are not breaking the law and/or incoveniencing people. It's just that negativity tends to attract more attention from media etc. Most people, like someone mentioned earlier, are using the app to have fun, exercise, socialize etc;

Increased wait times because the Pokemon are on the ride is an inconvenience. Dagnabit! Your dumb addiction is interfering with my addiction

In all seriousness I'm just tired of people trampling my fields and scaring my goats because the damn game says there are Pokemon in my duck pond. My friend the other night woke up to police lights flashing his house at 2am because some kids were looking for Pokemon in people's yards. At least that's what they said. Probably got caught peeping around people's homes and just made it up to keep from getting in trouble, but still.

I have actually found this craze to be pretty amusing, seeing how far people will go to "catch" a Pokemon. As long as they aren't being stupid while playing the game, I say let them have some fun. And if it gets them outside, there's an added bonus for the players.

Also, thought that I'd add that it's not just amusement parks tapping into the Pokemon Go market. We were eating at an A&W restaurant yesterday and they were doing some deal/promotion for Pokemon Go players. While advertising that there were Pokemon to be found in the restaurant.

/\ Darn right

BTW how do you make that little arrow thingie?

Shift 6

If you're on mobile (Android or Apple), it's on the third page of the keyboard.

Everything about this pokemon nonsense fills my soul with sadness for the future of humanity.

Agreed.

It's not that I hate the game, nor did I hate those who play it. However, I have grown to hate the game, and those who play it.

My place of employment had 4 people outside (before we opened) all on their phones (which I soon came to find out that they were) trying to catch a Pokemon that was in our building. I opened the door (by mistake) when one of them knocked on it. They asked if they could come in to catch a Pokemon. . . When I explained to them I couldn't let them in due to safety reasons, they started trying to push their way past me to get in the building for the game. That's when I officially came to hate the game, and those who play it.

#ItsGoneToFar

Everything about this pokemon nonsense fills my soul with sadness for the future of humanity.

Agreed.

It's not that I hate the game, nor did I hate those who play it. However, I have grown to hate the game, and those who play it.

My place of employment had 4 people outside (before we opened) all on their phones (which I soon came to find out that they were) trying to catch a Pokemon that was in our building. I opened the door (by mistake) when one of them knocked on it. They asked if they could come in to catch a Pokemon. . . When I explained to them I couldn't let them in due to safety reasons, they started trying to push their way past me to get in the building for the game. That's when I officially came to hate the game, and those who play it.

#ItsGoneToFar

Trust me, you're not alone in the work craziness. I work at a church which, according to the game, acts as a gym and the other building on property acts as a pokestop. There's kids running around from the surrounding neighborhood because there's also tons of Pokemon as well. I've seen parents looking for their kids because they went down to the creek on my church's property that is down a relatively steep hill. It's sad, and I want to say something about getting off the property because who knows who's hiding in the woods, but the parents wouldn't listen because they don't bother to listen and the kids only care about catching Pokemon, so they wouldn't care even if it was for their safety.

Agreed.

#ItsGoneToFar

Trust me, you're not alone in the work craziness. I work at a church which, according to the game, acts as a gym and the other building on property acts as a pokestop. There's kids running around from the surrounding neighborhood because there's also tons of Pokemon as well. I've seen parents looking for their kids because they went down to the creek on my church's property that is down a relatively steep hill. It's sad, and I want to say something about getting off the property because who knows who's hiding in the woods, but the parents wouldn't listen because they don't bother to listen and the kids only care about catching Pokemon, so they wouldn't care even if it was for their safety.

Why do they keep coming to my duck pond? Is it this gym thingie you guys are talking about? Fortunately I live a little ways out in the country or I'd probably get more of the morons out here scaring my goats,

Agreed.

#ItsGoneToFar

Why do they keep coming to my duck pond? Is it this gym thingie you guys are talking about? Fortunately I live a little ways out in the country or I'd probably get more of the morons out here scaring my goats,

It's most likely because you have a lot of water Pokemon there that they want, so they go to your pond to catch them.

^ Lmao there's nothing you can do to get rid of them. The PokemonGo app accesses Google Maps and puts the gyms and such at random places on the map.

I posted about this in the Holiday World thread, but they're actually assigning employees to help guests find the pokemon gyms in the park lol.

They also posted a blog encouraging people to play in the park, but also reinforcing the rules and services of the park:

http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2016/07/12/what-to-know-about-pokemon-go/

The moral of the story is that if you give an idiot a tool that enables them to be an idiot, you can rest assured they will be an idiot. Not everyone will be able to use the tool properly. It's the person, not the game. Just like we will continue to love and enjoy roller coasters and not blame the coaster after people die on or near them because they didn't follow rules...

Edited by Jew

Yeah, idiots will always be idiots no matter what! The game is not officially released in Norway yet, but already we've heard news report of a car driving the wrong way down a one-way street because the people in the car were too occupied looking for a pokemon instead of looking at the signs. And we've also had teenagers jumping the fence to get into a shopping mall parking garage at night and setting off the alarm because there were some Pokemons there. Can't blame the game in any way though, it's not Nintendo's fault that (some) people are completely oblivious to the fact that other people actually live in this world...

The parks didn't choose what areas were deemed Pokestops or gyms, so it's not like they're teaming up with Niantic to gain exclusivity to boost ticket sales...at least not yet. It's still early, but as far as I'm aware right now there isn't anything exclusive within any park that you can't collect/achieve outside of the park. Other than maybe bragging rights for certain gyms and staking claim to that territory for your team.

If parks start doing exclusive Pokémon distributions (Universal I'm looking straight at you) I will seriously be done. It's 2016, you shouldn't have to make a trip to Bryant Park on Pokémon Day to catch a certain Pokémon in the game anymore. Nintendo has done so well with the over-the-internet distributions of the current games (X, Y, OR, AS) that adding an element of exclusivity to certain Pokémon Go locations would basically be a step backwards.

#ItsGoneToFar

Yeah, but those are just stupid people... it's not the fault of the game.

And rest assured that like any other craze in a few weeks nobody will care anymore. They might still play the game but they won't act like such insufferable little sh*ts.

It's stupid. Get a life. People are trespassing to get these stupid things. Grow up and do something worthwhile. I absolutely will rain on your parade when it starts to consume you to the point it affects other people. Some people's idea of fun is stupid. There rant over.

Wow, did you get kicked in the balls repeatedly as a child or something??? You know, you can also choose NOT participate in something and NOT be a raging shitbag about it also. That's your choice.

Wow! A lot of Pokémon hate on this thread!

I know a lot of parks have put out "Pokémon Guides" to their parks, with the first rule being "Do not leave regular guest areas" for safety purposes. I actually think its pretty great that a lot of tourist destinations (a museum next to our place is putting lures out every lunch break this week to try and get people in their doors) are jumping on the bandwagon so early. Letting guests know that there are new things to catch in the parks just increases satisfaction (something to do while walking to a ride or waiting in line) and I can't see how that's a bad thing.

Personally I think Pokémon Go has done the one thing no video game has ever been able to accomplish - to get people moving in a meaningful way. I've been to places at 10 or 11PM that are swarming with people just playing the game and that's really cool. And before you get all "get a job!" on me I'll say that I'm in my late 20s, great job, beautiful wife (who also plays) and we've enjoyed the game as a hobby with a beer after work.

Pokémon pub crawls are the best.

Personally I think Pokémon Go has done the one thing no video game has ever been able to accomplish - to get people moving in a meaningful way.

This is what got me into it. I wear a Fitbit but I suck at getting steps, I was great for awhile but lately I sort of gave up on it. With this stupid game I've been over 10,000 steps every day this week (though I won't be today, lol).

Personally I think Pokémon Go has done the one thing no video game has ever been able to accomplish - to get people moving in a meaningful way.

This is what got me into it. I wear a Fitbit but I suck at getting steps, I was great for awhile but lately I sort of gave up on it. With this stupid game I've been over 10,000 steps every day this week (though I won't be today, lol).

Ditto. In the past it was hard to motivate myself to go out for walks, but now I've been out for at least a couple hours each night this week after work.

Pokemon Go may end up becoming the most effective workout regime I've ever done.

/\ Darn right

I didn't really mean that as a compliment. The fact that you took it as one says all we need to know, though.

I'm not playing the game so I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I hope we don't see a bunch of people start jumping fences just to get some Pokemon. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread, then how Daniel Tosh would put that into his comedy routine again... But dumb question.. How are the locations chosen? And could parks tell the game producers to prohibit characters from being placed in certain areas?

I'm not playing the game so I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I hope we don't see a bunch of people start jumping fences just to get some Pokemon. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread, then how Daniel Tosh would put that into his comedy routine again... But dumb question.. How are the locations chosen? And could parks tell the game producers to prohibit characters from being placed in certain areas?

Honestly, I have to ask. If you admit that you're not playing the game, why are you even in this thread? I seriously just don't understand people that make comments and assumptions about something that they aren't even choosing to be a part of. If you're not playing then why don't you just leave those concerns to the people who are and the parks that are hosting them?

Oh, and to answer your question, Google told me in about 15 seconds of searching: http://bfy.tw/6lIg and here: http://bfy.tw/6lIs

Edited by robbalvey

Wow, did you get kicked in the balls repeatedly as a child or something???

I can't think of a better response to this other than what was written here...

Everyone should just stay home and wait to die rather than participate in any sort of outdoor "seeking" activity like Pokemon Go or geocaching.

You know there are a lot of things in the world I don't like, but I don't go out of my way to hate on them for the sake of hate. With all the insane craziness going on in the world right now would it really be too much to ask to just stop being outright assholes to each other and appreciate the while one person likes to listen to country music, another person might want to play Pokemon.

Maybe I'm a fan of both of those things, maybe I don't like either. But you won't find me going out of my way to make hate comments about them just because someone else enjoys them and I don't. FFS people stop the complaining. It's so god damn annoying!

Edited by robbalvey