TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Pokemon GO at Theme Parks!

It's a very fun game that is encouraging people to go outside, interact with people and explore places. It will probably lose its luster soon (because the game is very limited in what you can do) but until then I don't understand why people have to crap on it. And I see no problem in parks encouraging people to play the game on their property.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think it's a fun game. However, the issues start because people don't use common sense. Things such as walking into others, getting hit by cars, and getting robbed by people could all be avoided (not 100% on the last one, but still) if players were aware of their surroundings, used common sense, and played safe. Sadly, not everyone has these things.

So if Cedar Fair has gyms and meeting spots at their parks can we assume that all the good Pokemon's will be at CP, CW, KI, KD, Knott's and Carowinds with MiA, VF and WOF getting next to nothing and stuck with the crappy ones?

It's stupid. Get a life. People are trespassing to get these stupid things. Grow up and do something worthwhile. I absolutely will rain on your parade when it starts to consume you to the point it affects other people. Some people's idea of fun is stupid. There rant over.

It's stupid. Get a life. People are trespassing to get these stupid things. Grow up and do something worthwhile. I absolutely will rain on your parade when it starts to consume you to the point it affects other people. Some people's idea of fun is stupid. There rant over.

The game actually encourages (and forces) you to go on long walks which is worthwhile. Some people do stupid things because some people are stupid, but if they weren't doing something stupid with this game then they'd be doing something else stupid. That's what stupid people do. That would be like blaming cars for people who suck at driving.

I had no interest in this game before it came out (or even a few days ago) and basically never play any video game (and I've never once given a sh*t about Pokemon) but I have to admit, it's a cool idea and I kind of like it. I've done a complete 180 on this game.

People here, myself included, have traveled the world to go on rides for children. Fundamentally, theme park nerds can't say a damn thing.

Hey I'll never grow up!!!!

Kiddie Ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a parent, I can't say enough good things about this game. Getting my children to take a walk around the neighbourhood has always been a chore. Getting them to go Pokémon hunting is easy! We had a blast with this game at Worlds of Fun last weekend too.

For all the haters, just don't go anywhere you shouldn't be. But that's always been true.

How is that bad? Parks making more money = win. As long as they aren't breaking any rules, who cares? I feel as if all the people against this are the ones who just don't like to conform and would be against the "new thing," no matter what it was. People are finally going outside and becoming more active.

For the record, I'm NOT against the new thing. I don't play the game, because I can't afford anything more than the iPhone 4S that I've had for several years. And I'm a Pokémon fan, too! Shame on me!

I guess I'm just unsure about parks explicitly marketing themselves as places to play Pokémon Go - in fact, I'm not sure any place that charges an admission fee should have PokéStops or gyms inside the gates. The game is so much about community, and people who don't want to go or can't afford to go to these places might be left out. I'm not upset, just unsure. I'm probably crazy.

EDIT: And I don't even intend to even THINK about purchasing the game (let alone a new phone for it) until I can catch a Wobbuffet, so...

Edited by A.J.

You realize you are posting on a theme park message board, right? That's something in itself that would make the majority of people go "wait, what?"

People will do stupid things regardless of whether or not the game existed. In fact, you can argue the game is just helping weed them out at a quicker rate.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before, but it is kind of cool. Every single area I've seen where people congregate for Pokemon, it's been nothing but people socializing over something they are enjoying. Kudos to all the theme parks striking while the iron is hot and participating in the phenomenon, since it encourages people to visit new places and get out and walk.

I visited USH with a friend and took the studio tour...I'd say 3/4 of the tram was playing the game for the opportunity to go in an area they wouldn't normally be able to in order to catch pokemon. There's even a gym on the backlot that I am sure USH employees are constantly fighting over.

How is that bad? Parks making more money = win. As long as they aren't breaking any rules, who cares? I feel as if all the people against this are the ones who just don't like to conform and would be against the "new thing," no matter what it was. People are finally going outside and becoming more active.

For the record, I'm NOT against the new thing. I don't play the game, because I can't afford anything more than the iPhone 4S that I've had for several years. And I'm a Pokémon fan, too! Shame on me!

I guess I'm just unsure about parks explicitly marketing themselves as places to play Pokémon Go - in fact, I'm not sure any place that charges an admission fee should have PokéStops or gyms inside the gates. The game is so much about community, and people who don't want to go or can't afford to go to these places might be left out. I'm not upset, just unsure. I'm probably crazy.

EDIT: And I don't even intend to even THINK about purchasing the game (let alone a new phone for it) until I can catch a Wobbuffet, so...

The parks didn't choose what areas were deemed Pokestops or gyms, so it's not like they're teaming up with Niantic to gain exclusivity to boost ticket sales...at least not yet. It's still early, but as far as I'm aware right now there isn't anything exclusive within any park that you can't collect/achieve outside of the park. Other than maybe bragging rights for certain gyms and staking claim to that territory for your team.

Also, the game is free (with micro transactions). If you can, try to find a friend or something to play it a bit now while it's good, before it's ruined by ads and corporate partnerships!

You realize you are posting on a theme park message board, right? That's something in itself that would make the majority of people go "wait, what?"

People will do stupid things regardless of whether or not the game existed. In fact, you can argue the game is just helping weed them out at a quicker rate.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before, but it is kind of cool. Every single area I've seen where people congregate for Pokemon, it's been nothing but people socializing over something they are enjoying. Kudos to all the theme parks striking while the iron is hot and participating in the phenomenon, since it encourages people to visit new places and get out and walk.

I visited USH with a friend and took the studio tour...I'd say 3/4 of the tram was playing the game for the opportunity to go in an area they wouldn't normally be able to in order to catch pokemon. There's even a gym on the backlot that I am sure USH employees are constantly fighting over.

I'm not against the game itself or having fun. No one is talking about "acting" stupid. Sure we all do stupid things. Pretty sure I made it clear I'm against it controlling people to the extent that they're breaking the law and inconveniencing those around them.