TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What "little things" make you fall in love with a park?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get nostalgic at Great Adventure on occasion just having flashbacks as a young chil with my grandparents taking me to the park and riding the Mine Train. Most people don't consider Great Adventure to be one of those "special" parks like Knoebels but because I've been visiting for years (through my childhood/early adulthood) Just walking across the bridge from El Toro to Bizarro by the pond and just random little aspects of the park make me smile and experience those fond memories I have as a child.

Oh and playing Roller Coaster Tycoon's Great Adventure scenario way too much when I was younger probably adds to that as I would always dream of the next time I'd get to go to the park and walk around the place I had fallen in love with on my clunky desktop back then...

I think for me this thread mostly makes me think of little reminders of childhood or things today that make me feel like a child. Driving across the Cedar Point causeway does this too, for example.

There's no ride that can make you feel this way, it's a setting. An atmosphere. An experience.

^A turbo charged boxer motor bolted to a six speed transmission and all wheel drive drive train is what makes a real Subaru a Subaru... that and a massive obnoxious rally wing.

(see avatar)

Free soda makes me like a park a hundred times more. Partly because it's awesome to be able to grab a soda or a water whenever, but even more so because it's just so much the opposite of the Six Flags "These are the smallest cups we could buy" free water policy. It's nice to be able to enjoy a park without feeling like you're constantly being taken advantage of.

- Single rider lines

- Friendly and helpful staff around the park

- Variety in food choices

- Vibe / lighting at night time

- General theming

- Any thoughtful addition that makes the experience more convenient (e.g. app with ride wait times and current open/closed status, moving season pass processing to an online experience)

- Discounts that aren't buy one and get x% off. Let me just have 15% off my one soda.

Free soda makes me like a park a hundred times more. Partly because it's awesome to be able to grab a soda or a water whenever, but even more so because it's just so much the opposite of the Six Flags "These are the smallest cups we could buy" free water policy. It's nice to be able to enjoy a park without feeling like you're constantly being taken advantage of.

This is absolutely the best thing about Holiday World.

I like little lines. Little tiny and even nonexistent lines. I like knowing when to find them and the means to use that. This reinforces my relationship with my local park. Fortunately I have a good one. Going there a lot and over time creates one kind of bond though over-familiarity reduces impact. Novelty's good too of course. You just can't get it as often.

I like landscape and hills and stuff (BGW, Hershey) but even that can lose it's charm.

I like small-park funkiness, although my closest recent experience is SFA

I like nighttime, especially when a Drop Tower is projected by the lights onto low clouds, or it's foggy.

And then there's giga coasters.

The little thing that makes me fall in love with a park is when a park adds historical references around the park, which reflect on years gone by when the park was smaller or newer. An example of this is when Canada's Wonderland added the retro logo to the front of their wooden coaster trains for the park's 30th anniversary back in 2011. They've been on the wooden coaster trains ever since and now this year, they even added the retro logo to the front of Thunder Run's train for the ride's 30th anniversary!

Screw the little things to be completely honest I only go to theme parks for the rides

We all go to the parks for the rides, bro. All of us.

I don't give a crap about the rides, I go for the eye candy (Only during the summer months, though. They cover up the eye candy in the fall).

Can I break down the fourth wall here?

This is all a code. When a Knoebels fanboy uses words like "little things that make you fall in love with a park" that basically means "Please tell me your favorite thing about Knoebels and what made you fall in love with it". Even without that last paragraph it was obvious that this was a Knoebels appreciation thread. I'm picking up what you're putting down and I wholeheartedly approve.

I've been had!

No, seriously, while I may have a slight ulterior motive, that's not it, even though I used Knoebels as my own example.

I feel like Disney's effort makes me want to love their parks and be a part of the magic. I've only been a Disney park fan for a bit over a year and I don't know how to sing 95% of the Disney songs, heck I don't even remember what happens in The Lion King. But when I go to a Disney park, I get a different feeling that is hard to describe that makes me fall in love.

I was a cast member a few years ago, when Toy Story 3 was still popular a couple of us would get together during slower periods with a few Lotso-Huggin' Bear plush toys and a basket and we would play basket toss with children outside on the street. We didn't have any prizes to give, it was stupid-warm outside, but everyone had so much fun.

For me it's about the atmosphere once I enter the park. At certain parks it hits me immediately after going through the gates (BGW, KI, Hershey, SFGAm) that I immediately put a smile on my face and am excited to be there.

Landscaping and the abundance of shade areas truly helps which is one of the reasons BGW is my favorite park.

I also like seeing the employees enjoying what they do and interacting with guests. I see that a lot when I go to Kings Island.

• 1 month later...
For me it is not only the quite areas where I can sit down in a rocking chair.

Yep, I also feel the same way. Sometimes the best thing can be to get away from all the hustle and bustle of the park, and relax for a bit. I find Liseberg and Thorpe Park and Alton Towers to be the best parks that I have been to for this.

P4120893.thumb.JPG.be05e14df04957e45a57595be003246a.JPG

Guess the place!