TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

M&D Scotland's Tsunami derails

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
Tsunami has left the park and is up for sale.

Good lord, who had to write the sales sheet for that one?

"This is your chance to own one of Scotland's b̶e̶s̶t̶ most "thrilling" theme park attractions! Ride includes t̶w̶o̶ one gently used train. Ride has only run for 16 days since it passed it's last comprehensive safety inspection by our in-house safety inspector who has since b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶b̶a̶n̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶d̶u̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶b̶o̶r̶d̶e̶r̶l̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶c̶r̶i̶m̶i̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶n̶e̶g̶l̶i̶g̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ retired. Serious offers only."

"It's a shame because Dylan was just starting to love rollercoasters, but I'll never let him on one again."

"I won't be back at M&Ds, and we'll have to cancel our trip to Flamingo Land next month."

These quotes are from the first article in snoflake15's post. I find this article, especially these statements to be quite extreme and overblown. I mean sure, M&D's coasters may not be the safest according to reports but, that doesn't mean everyone else's coasters are dangerous as well. You're more likely to die on your way to an amusement park than at the amusement park itself. Some parents are extremely over protective and wonder why their children become easily bored in life.

If you are the one on the train back then, I highly doubt you will ever go on a coaster without having any flashbacks. Just about any roughness from the track can freak you out so much that you will probably feel like the train is falling off.

"It's a shame because Dylan was just starting to love rollercoasters, but I'll never let him on one again."

"I won't be back at M&Ds, and we'll have to cancel our trip to Flamingo Land next month."

These quotes are from the first article in snoflake15's post. I find this article, especially these statements to be quite extreme and overblown. I mean sure, M&D's coasters may not be the safest according to reports but, that doesn't mean everyone else's coasters are dangerous as well. You're more likely to die on your way to an amusement park than at the amusement park itself. Some parents are extremely over protective and wonder why their children become easily bored in life.

If you are the one on the train back then, I highly doubt you will ever go on a coaster without having any flashbacks. Just about any roughness from the track can freak you out so much that you will probably feel like the train is falling off.

I agree, the experience of a coaster derailing would be completely unnerving and quite traumatic for all those involved. I just find it odd and somewhat annoying how someone who was not involved with the traumatic experience would immediately exclude themselves from riding a roller coaster and accuse other coaster of being unsafe. I'm glad everyone from the incident was able to walk away alive. I also hope this coaster does not open again due to the respect of the people involved.

I'm sure being in the vicinity of a terrible accident like that will have a traumatic effect on a person, too. This wasn't something simple like getting stopped on a lift hill or a smaller accident like a wheel coming off or a "Son of Beast" structure thing:

THE ENTIRE TRAIN FLEW OFF THE TRACKS AND CRASHED INTO A KIDDY RIDE.

Honestly, even if I wasn't directly involved, I don't know how I'd react seeing something like that firsthand, even being as big of a coaster nut as I am. Unless I know what it's like to see something like that, i don't feel I should judge whether their reaction is appropriate or not.

I'm sure being in the vicinity of a terrible accident like that will have a traumatic effect on a person, too. This wasn't something simple like getting stopped on a lift hill or a smaller accident like a wheel coming off or a "Son of Beast" structure thing:

THE ENTIRE TRAIN FLEW OFF THE TRACKS AND CRASHED INTO A KIDDY RIDE.

Honestly, even if I wasn't directly involved, I don't know how I'd react seeing something like that firsthand, even being as big of a coaster nut as I am. Unless I know what it's like to see something like that, i don't feel I should judge whether their reaction is appropriate or not.

I fully agree with you that being in the vicinity of a traumatic event would be horrifying. I also acknowledge that the train derailed from the track and landed upside down, nearly missing people below. I've seen some rather horrific accidents occur on the road but, that hasn't stopped me from travelling. But, I do respect the decision of people to exclude themselves from such activities that most find fun and enjoyable due to horrific circumstances. I will also admit that my previous comments were kind of out of line and insensitive as I have not experienced or witnessed a roller coaster derailment myself. I will admit that would be completely horrifying and traumatic.

One thing I've never come to fully understand is why do people automatically assume that all amusement parks are dangerous once they see this stuff in the media? I hear a lot of crap when I go to amusement parks and how people try to relate a specific incident to the park they're at. I just feel that the media brainwashes people into believing that a certain activity is dangerous by blowing it out of proportion, when it really is quite safe.

"This is your chance to own one of Scotland's b̶e̶s̶t̶ most "thrilling" theme park attractions! Ride includes t̶w̶o̶ one gently used train. Ride has only run for 16 days since it passed it's last comprehensive safety inspection by our in-house safety inspector who has since b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶b̶a̶n̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶d̶u̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶b̶o̶r̶d̶e̶r̶l̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶c̶r̶i̶m̶i̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶n̶e̶g̶l̶i̶g̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ retired. Serious offers only."

Only one careful owner.....

Only one careful owner.....

Give it to Atallah Happy Land Park here in Jeddah. I know the management firsthand and they seem rather desperate for a new coaster.

What surprises me is that they are allowed to sale this piece of crap. Didn't the HSE say they found “significant issues” with the “condition of the mechanical and structural parts of the Tsunami”? Or was this even before the accident happend?

• 4 months later...

Has there been any conclusion on how the Tsunami derail happened?

It would seem impossible that every left-side wheel bogie would shear off at the same moment. I thought perhaps welds failed between the left running rail and the track ties, enabling the rail to dip, and then train to derail (with the shearing of a wheel bogie happening at the same time).

Just wondering about this ride after the accident in Ohio. For such a horrendous "roller coaster derailment," news seemed to dry-up very quickly after this happened.

EDIT - Yes, I was aware Tsunami was gone before I posted this. I'm still curious as to the cause.

Edited by JT325