TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Turbo Drop vs Space Shot vs Double Shot

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Superman Tower of Power at SFOT when running combo mode is by far the best S&S tower I've ever been on.

Honorable mentions:

Power Tower drop side at CP

Big Shot on the Stratosphere.

With all of that being said, I typically prefer combo mode, or drop mode.

Whatever the ones at Cedar Point are- those are the very worst drop towers I've ever ridden. I rode each option once years ago the first time I went to the park (a year or two prior to the addition of TTD), and it was so underwhelming that I never bothered with them since- until last year. I figured there was no way they were as bad as I remembered, and the opportunity presented itself in the form of no line. They are essentially floorless, outdoor elevators.

I realize it's probably just the program they run, though. The one at Indiana Beach (double shot?) had a bit more bite.

Turbo Drop but lately when I'm at CP I'll hit the Space Shot side more since it usually has little to no line in comparison. The only other S&S I've been on is Supreme Scream. Would love to try a combo tower/double shot.

Can CP Power Tower be reprogrammed to be all combo towers?

Turbo Drop but lately when I'm at CP I'll hit the Space Shot side more since it usually has little to no line in comparison. The only other S&S I've been on is Supreme Scream. Would love to try a combo tower/double shot.

No, the 2 drop towers have brakes at the top to hold the car, while the launch towers don't.

You can see them in the 2 back towers at the top.

I enjoy the space shot for the sensation of swift ascent and the pop of air at the top. The ride time is a bit shorter and can lead to swifter lines when compared to the turbo drop. I'm not easily intimidated by too many drop towers, so the suspense angle of the turbo drops is lost on me. I also don't think that those drops are very strong. Great presence in a park, though! I love the look/sounds/aesthetic of the larger combo towers.

No, the 2 drop towers have brakes at the top to hold the car, while the launch towers don't.

I'm sure if Cedar Point really wanted to, they could have S&S install brakes at the top of the tower, as well as brake fins on top of the carriages, and have all of the towers run combo mode.

Turbo Drop, but SFNE runs combo mode sometimes which would be the clear winner.

When you guys are saying combo you mean on one tower? How's that work? I thought they were set up for one or the other.

Combo mode is where the tower first shoots you to the top of the tower, you "bounce" a little at the top of the tower, you are slowly pulled up to the top of the tower where you are held for a short period of time, then "shot" back down to the ground, where you bounce at the bottom of the tower till the ride comes to a stop. As can be seen in this video:

It basically takes a shot tower, and combines it with a drop tower for one awesome ride!!

I haven't tried the combo or double shot tower, but a bunch of parks I'm going to have double shot towers, so I'll find out. They're short, but I've heard very great things about them. As for the space shot vs. turbo drop debate, I'd have to choose the turbo drop hands down! The airtime is awesome on it. And the drop is so fast that I'm literally speechless every time, and for me that feeling is rare. That sort of freaks me out.

I have to say S&S 1st generation Space Shots are the best!

The original versions are catapult versions that only had cables on the top, the airtime on these versions are way stronger than the versions that have cables on the top and bottom.

Only got the chance to ride the shoot up part of the drop tower at Cedar Point, its definitely fast acceleration and the suspense is cool before the launch, but honestly its not the most worthwhile ride. You do get some good airtime at the top which is freaky, and my friend and I were talking after how it would be crazy if you SHOT up, then at the top immediately shot down, so therefore getting airtime from the moment you reach peak until the ground. That would be pretty crazy.

Also for the video of the tower at the six flags texas, that looked better, theres no reason for cedar point not to run combo on all 4 towers.

I'm sure if Cedar Point really wanted to, they could have S&S install brakes at the top of the tower, as well as brake fins on top of the carriages, and have all of the towers run combo mode.

Turbo Drop, but SFNE runs combo mode sometimes which would be the clear winner.

When you guys are saying combo you mean on one tower? How's that work? I thought they were set up for one or the other.

Combo mode is where the tower first shoots you to the top of the tower, you "bounce" a little at the top of the tower, you are slowly pulled up to the top of the tower where you are held for a short period of time, then "shot" back down to the ground, where you bounce at the bottom of the tower till the ride comes to a stop. As can be seen in this video:

It basically takes a shot tower, and combines it with a drop tower for one awesome ride!!

Are those shock absorbers supposed to stop the carriage if the cables break?

La venganza del enigma at Parque Warner Madrid has different programs of the ride depending by the hour of the day!

The combined one was surely the funniest, also we have to say that being tall 100 meters high they provide a wonderful view on the top and great tons of wind and feeling of speed when dropping down

S&S towers may be not intense, but they surely are very enjoyable!

Combo Tower.

Get all the benefits of both a Space Shot and a Turbo Drop.

Superman Power of Tower @ SFOT is definitely my favorite S&S Tower (aside from Dr. Doom, and that's because of the theming).