TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Clearance Envelopes

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soo these have to be changed basically because idiots don't follow the "keep your hands inside the cars" rule?

Ffs.

Have you ever put your arms up at any point on any roller coaster??

In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure most coasters are designed with the idea of people putting their hands up in mind.

I think we are led to believe so but I wonder if we can always trust that 100%. I mean, when I'm entering the tunnel on the bottom of shambhala's drop (for instance) I'm pretty sure I can trust the clearance tests but there are some occasions when I'm just not completely sure.

Soo these have to be changed basically because idiots don't follow the "keep your hands inside the cars" rule?

Ffs.

Have you ever put your arms up at any point on any roller coaster??

In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure most coasters are designed with the idea of people putting their hands up in mind.

I think we are led to believe so but I wonder if we can always trust that 100%. I mean, when I'm entering the tunnel on the bottom of shambhala's drop (for instance) I'm pretty sure I can trust the clearance tests but there are some occasions when I'm just not completely sure.

I haven't put my hands up on a rollercoaster because usually not holding onto the restraint (on OSTR coasters) obviously makes headbanging more prevalent since there's nothing to stabilize your upper body and i don't really get the thrill of it, but besides that honestly i'm pretty sure they don't make these rules just to spoil people's fun

There a certain B&M without a floor that has no height limit (I am 6’5”-6’6”) that my foot hit the steps at the bottom of the lift where the steps radius up to the slope of the lift. Scared me quite a bit. I am thinking an oversight on the design, lol... Now I make sure to lift my legs a bit at that point each time.

Yet on all the wing coasters that have 6’6” limits, I don’t seem to be close to anything and they try to enforce that height limit like crazy. I get asked and height checked almost each time on any of them except X-Flight I think. I wish they would open that envelope another 3-4" in design (and maybe another 1-2" in the "limit") on all rides. The only ride though I ever been turned away from due to height though was Green Lantern at SFMM, though.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I know taller people who have claimed to have kicked the support beams on SLCs before.

While sitting in the brake run of an SLC my hands and feet can touch the support beams to the right side of the train. Just barely, but they can touch.

Safety is overrated. Our guests can casually walk between the supports of a Bluefire clone and we put red nylon fences that are barely taller than a puppy around areas where the train might actually hit you.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Speaking of Blue Fire it almost seems like it would be possible to slam your fingers on the roof of the rock tunnel leading into the horseshoe roll (and the one after the big overbank). I've never dared to attempt it since you enter them at such a high speed (in fact I tend to duck when the train approaches them) but it really gives you the impression that there isn't much clearance.

cfae15bdc9bb162bd29dd1fa7e15a9b7.jpg

^That happened to me before on the same ride!

I used to hit my hands on leaves/branches on Mind Bender at SFOG (especially after it rained) before they really trimmed everything back a year or two ago. I also think someone could hit there hands entering the brake run cover on Great American Scream Machine.

There are many rides where I worry about hitting my hands because I am 6 foot but with a tall torso and long arms. I know I could hit wood on many wooden coasters. Most GCIs concern me too. I'm sure it is an illusion most of the time, but there are certainly rides where I could hit my hand if I really tried (which I wouldn't).

On shambhala's tunnel at the bottom of the first drop (in Portaventura) I always have my hands up and my friends think I'm insane but what I really am slightly afraid to try is sitting on an outside seat and twisting my body to the side (which you can do since it has lap bars only) while holding my hands up.