TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roller Coasters that could really use a refurbishment?

Where are these Magnum people coming from?

If it's too rough for you then tighten the seatbelt and enjoy the ride. I'm sure you'll find Magnum's relentless ejector airtime to be far more fun than complaining.

I love people who hate on B&M coasters for having airtime hills that are ONLY floater, and not ejector, but then we have people complaining about some of the BEST ejector air time on any coaster of all time. I could understand complaints pre-seatbelts if you were on a wheel seat, but post-seatbelt Magnum should be on any sane person's top-20 list. (My post-seatbelt ride last summer put it back in my top 5).

I'd also like to say, that while I love RMC iron horse, the only coaster I'd entertain seeing it used on right now is Mean Streak. Normally, if RMC is going to do anything to most wooden coasters, topper track is my preference (and even then, only in extreme cases). Sure, Iron Horse coasters are fun, BUT, there is something to be said for a traditional wooden coaster too. The whole point of a wooden coaster is to shake and throw you around, making you wonder if the damn thing is going to fall apart. But maybe I'm just from the "old" generation of coaster enthusiasts, back when people where made of meat and not glass.

I'll actually go the opposite route of most people and say the woodie that needs tweaking the most right now is The Beast. The trims on that thing are out of control, and turned one of the greatest rides ever built into something a little on the bland side. It's still fun, and gives some of the best night rides around, but they need to figure out how to get that thing running back like it did before the trims started sprouting up like weeds in a cracked sidewalk. My day ride on the Beast last summer was so disappointing compared to my last trip there in 2011. It's still a great ride, but so much of it's potential is being squandered.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll actually go the opposite route of most people and say the woodie that needs tweaking the most right now is The Beast. The trims on that thing are out of control, and turned one of the greatest rides ever built into something a little on the bland side.

Disclaimer: I have not yet ridden The Beast

Based on

, The Beast was always trimmed to death.

That's interesting. I remember being blown away my first many rides, but last season we crawled through some of the best parts (like everything between drop 1 and lift 2 where I stays low to the ground).

It's always possible that it was just a test run as well, and the trims were turned on way higher than they would be on a normal operating day. Look how slow it is coming into the brakes, it practically almost valley's (well, would valley if the anti-rollbacks weren't in place)

I can agree with Magnum. I got off it last year going, "well that sucked" along with the entire group I was with. New trains and some track refurbishment would be nice. Maybe try and smoothen out some of those transitions.

****Boulderdash. This ride is just not running that well lately. The trains are falling apart and it seems to get rougher each season. A full re-track and new trains would be awesome and probably put it back in first place.

Kumba. Absolutely amazing ride but new trains and a repaint would be great to see.

Superman SFNE. I'm honestly not too impressed with the improvements. They really just covered up everything with red and blue. The trains are still the same, beaten up Bizarro trains and the ride itself was running kinda sluggish when we rode. A new queue line would be awesome too because the present one is disgusting.

*****The majority of the coasters at Six Flags Great Adventure.

-Kingda ka just needs a full out makeover, new paint, new trains, new loading system.

- El Toro is in need of some retracking

- Bizarro, Batman and Superman are screaming "paint me!! paint me!!"

But the worst of them all is by far Nitro. Somebody please do something, it looks like garbage and rides quite similarly.

If you had posted this last summer I would have said GhostRider. As it is now I'd say Xcelerator. Needs a few inverions like Storm Runner or iSpeed.

Absolutely!

While we're at it, I would love to see YOLO extended to. Maybe an Immelmann into a pop of air and a helix into the break run? Idk but something more than a top hat into a break run would suffice

I can agree with Magnum. I got off it last year going, "well that sucked" along with the entire group I was with. New trains and some track refurbishment would be nice. Maybe try and smoothen out some of those transitions.

But the worst of them all is by far Nitro. Somebody please do something, it looks like garbage and rides quite similarly.

If Nitro is too rattly and rough for you then you should never have tried to ride Magnum in the first place. Might I suggest Steel Force? That seems to be more your speed. It's about as intense as your average couch.

If Cedar Point touches a single thing on Magnum I'll lose my sh*t. I'm sorry if the airtime is too intense for you. You are right about Nitro's paint but keep dreaming.

If you had posted this last summer I would have said GhostRider. As it is now I'd say Xcelerator. Needs a few inverions like Storm Runner or iSpeed.

Absolutely!

While we're at it, I would love to see YOLO extended to. Maybe an Immelmann into a pop of air and a helix into the break run? Idk but something more than a top hat into a break run would suffice

I agree 100%. Yolo is a fun ride, but would be very nice to not fly into the brakes once cresting the loop. And of the SFMM subject, Apocalypse could use the RMC makeover. I think we hit every bolt on the track last time we were on a few weeks ago.

So much this. There's only 3 rough spots that I found were noticeable, with the worst one being right at the bottom of the first turnaround. My back is still sore from the trip I made out on Friday. It's not even rough as in "bumpy" it's "rough" as in "shakey" and it really did a number on my spine.

*****The majority of the coasters at Six Flags Great Adventure.

-Kingda ka just needs a full out makeover, new paint, new trains, new loading system.

- Bizarro, Batman and Superman are screaming "paint me!! paint me!!"

^^^^^^^^says the SFGA fanboy!!!!

Stop riding El Toro in wheel seats. Stop riding all wood coasters on wheel seats. Seriously... stop it.

The only wood coaster that's so well maintained that it rides just as well in wheel seats as non wheel seats is the Phoenix. Otherwise cut it out or stop complaining. You should all know better. Lol

Stop riding El Toro in wheel seats. Stop riding all wood coasters on wheel seats. Seriously... stop it.

True Story. Once I learned to stop sitting in wheel seats on wooden roller coasters I have found several wooden coasters much more re-rideable and enjoyable than before.

I was getting jarred around in the turnaround regardless what row I sat in. I've had back problems all my life though, so it might not be as bad as I think it is. 5 rides back to back really didn't do me any favors. It's still a fantastic coaster, it's just not as fantastic as it could be.

The only wood coaster that's so well maintained that it rides just as well in wheel seats as non wheel seats is the Phoenix. Otherwise cut it out or stop complaining. You should all know better. Lol

Even though I don't doubt this is good advice, you shouldn't have to worry about things like that just like you shouldn't have to adopt certain positions to ride, for instance, an SLC. Naturally it will provide a better ride but ideally every coaster would be smooth in any seat.