TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lake Winnie is adding a Moser Maverick for 2016

I've always wanted to ride one of these, and now it's in my home park.

It seems to be a pretty rare flat ride in the US, especially for a permanent installation. I know Kentucky Kingdom had a Vekoma Waikiki Wave for a while (which I never got to ride, because it was always shut down), but it was non-inverting.

http://www.moserrides.com/thrillrides/maverick-asym/maverick-asym.htm

Facebook video link

13041001_10153482086436680_1555133937489280248_o.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Kentucky Kingdom had a Vekoma Waikiki Wave for a while (which I never got to ride, because it was always shut down), but it was non-inverting.

Ah, you must be referring to "QUAKE"! I got to enjoy that ride because it didn't make me dizzy like its inverting cousins.

I was thinking about another ride that's similar to this one, The Conestoga. I've been to Lake Winnie twice, and both times this ride wasn't running ( come to think of it, neither was Fly-O-Plane - such rotten luck!), so it got me wondering if the park is planning to get rid of Conestoga to put in this ride, or just leave Conestoga be and add in another flat ride. Either way, this will be another great addition to the park ( so would adding another roller coaster, but this is a small family park and should be excused whether they put in another coaster or not).

"LAKE WINNIE - THE HOME OF THE BOAT CHUTE - it may be the oldest ride in the park, but it still gets the longest line!

The boat chute is great. It's actually kind of creepy in that pitch black tunnel, and their ARM drop tower is one of the best I've ridden.

I didn't see any off-axis free flipping, but the ride cycle on this still looks far better than any Top Spin I've ridden, if that video is anything to go by.

This ride is going in place of the Round Up, which is going to re-open in 2017.

I was waiting for someone to post about this here. Why isn't there a Lake Winnie discussion thread?

Love that park so much and this looks like a unique new ride. Looks better than a top spin. I'm certainly excited to try it.

Also for those of you wondering, it is replacing Genie but Genie will return next season. They are also adding cabanas to the water park, new events this summer, and expanding Spookya for Halloweeen.

Lake Winnie is basically a mini Knoebels South. Hopefully we will see them add a new coaster soon. Maybe for their 100th birthday.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know much about lake winnie. but I do want to do the Fly-O Planes. They were one of my faves when I was a kid, AND, was one of my mom's nightmare when she was a kid. This means it is going back to the 1940's Geauga lake ( for my mom, not me ) Oh the stories she would tell....

I'm heading to the park for the first time ever on Sunday. I can't wait. Does anyone have any pointers on how to spin the Fly-O-Planes?

I ride them all the time and they are generally very easy to spin. Basically just rock back and forth by turning the wheel left and right, alternating direction each time you reach a max tilt. It only takes about 15 seconds to go into a spin, at which point you just hold the wheel as hard left or right as you can (depending which way you are spinning) and you will just spiral out of control at a fast speed for the entire ride cycle. It's very intense and there isn't much padding inside the planes. The way you spin the cloth seatbelt will rub your waist area kind of hard and you may hit your head on the ceiling of the plane. I always like to ride it in the fall because the extra layers of clothing and a hoodie help for repeat rides but really it doesn't hurt, it just will wear on you after a while.

Some of the planes spin a bit better than others and if you ask the ride op they often provide pointers on which plane to take. I never notice a huge difference though.

If you want any other advice related to the park, let me know. I go a lot and there really are a lot of awesome things about Lake Winnie. It's basically a mini Knoebels South.

Flyers would be such a great addition to this park, especially if they went out over the water like the ones at Indiana Beach...

On the fly-o-planes, I usually just stop after a couple of spins. That ride is a major workout, lol. I kind of wish it had OTSRs, but that would make it much harder to flip.

I find fly-o-plane super easy to flip endlessly. After a few rocks you just hold the wheel to the side and spin endlessly with no effort. Much easier than snapping flyers, so if you can do that, you'll be fine. It's easy but the spinning is definitely intense on the body. I love it though and haven't experienced a more intense flat other than maybe a Mondial Top Scan I rode at a fair.

• 1 month later...

Well, I failed at the Fly-O-Plane again. I really wanted to get it spinning consistently, but I only managed 2 spins before giving up.

I have no idea how to ride that ride. It's easy to spin (to the right. Left is more difficult), but it's so painful.

It's similar to riding the Roll-O-Plane at Knoebels, but the Roll-O-Plane leaves your hands free and rotates slowly and predictably, giving you time to brace yourself against the side wall.

Twister was a fun little ride. It has some nice hangtime and good speed through the flips. It's nowhere near as intense as a Top Spin, but that's ok with me. I was actually dizzy when I got off the ride.

Their pirate ship has to have the slowest build-up I've ever seen. It felt like it spent about 5 minutes getting up to max swing, and another 3 minutes before slowing down again. I doubt it was actually that long, lol. I should have timed it.

Cannon Ball was running better than the last time I rode it. It was relatively smooth, and had a nice pop of airtime going into the brake run.

The boat ride legitimately scared me. I was going through the pitch black and eerily quiet sensory deprivation tunnel, when all of a sudden BAM!, the boat bumped against the side of the trough. I swear I almost had a heart attack

Edited by nannerdw

Well, I failed at the Fly-O-Plane again. I really wanted to get it spinning consistently, but I only managed 2 spins before giving up.

I have no idea how to ride that ride. It's easy to spin (to the right. Left is more difficult), but it's so painful.

It's similar to riding the Roll-O-Plane at Knoebels, but the Roll-O-Plane leaves your hands free and rotates slowly and predictably, giving you time to brace yourself against the side wall.

Twister was a fun little ride. It has some nice hangtime and good speed through the flips. It's nowhere near as intense as a Top Spin, but that's ok with me. I was actually dizzy when I got off the ride.

Their pirate ship has to have the slowest build-up I've ever seen. It felt like it spent about 5 minutes getting up to max swing, and another 3 minutes before slowing down again. I doubt it was actually that long, lol. I should have timed it.

Cannon Ball was running better than the last time I rode it. It was relatively smooth, and had a nice pop of airtime going into the brake run.

The boat ride legitimately scared me. I was going through the pitch black and eerily quiet sensory deprivation tunnel, when all of a sudden BAM!, the boat bumped against the side of the trough. I swear I almost had a heart attack

That boat chute is by far the most terrifying ride i have ever been on in my life! In a way it sorta doubles as a haunted tunnel ride. I think it might even be scarier if it had lights, there's no telling what sort of critters are lurking around in that thing. I would probably have to be drunk to ride it again. The park itself is excellent in my opinion, and should definitely keep it just the way it is.

• 1 month later...

Well, I've been to Lake Winnie and I believe I got a bit disappointed with this park. While the majority of the rides were running, there were a few that were down, including the Twister. Cannonball finally opened up at two o'clock, Fly-O-Plane, Orbiter, and Sea Monster were down, and they only had a total of three antique cars running.

One thing I wish they would do is fix up the old miniature golf course so you can play eighteen holes instead of eleven.

At least I finally got to ride Conestoga - twice.

The Boat Chutes at Lake Winnie -it may be the oldest ride in the park, but it still gets the longest line!

^Sorry your experience wasn't as great as you had hoped. I go to Lake Winnie a few times a year and have never seen Cannonball open late. Sea Monster has always been open until this season, so they are obviously having issues there, but it is a ton of fun and one of my very favorite flats in the park. Fly-O-Plane is always open and is super unique and super insane (possibly my favorite flat ride), but it had an accident injuring two kids a few weeks ago so it is closed until that is resolved.

It sounds like you just happened to be there on an off day. Hopefully it won't deter you from returning because on a good day, Lake Winnie really shines. Their haunt event is great! So is their fireworks nights.

Did you do the water park?