TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Forceless coaster?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's certainly an odd term. I've never encountered it myself in the real world. Seems to be unique to coaster forums. Near as I can tell, it's used to describe a coaster that never deviates from a G force of 1, though I think some people may be confusing the coaster with the queue. Most queues spend too much time at 1G. I wish parks would realize no one wants a forceless queue. Put an airtime hill in there, or a loop, or something. They're all just flat turns, straight sections, and railings.

In all seriousness, ignore all posts using the term "forceless." You'll be a happier person. Go ride coasters. Have fun.

It's certainly an odd term. I've never encountered it myself in the real world. Seems to be unique to coaster forums. Near as I can tell, it's used to describe a coaster that never deviates from a G force of 1, though I think some people may be confusing the coaster with the queue. Most queues spend too much time at 1G. I wish parks would realize no one wants a forceless queue. Put an airtime hill in there, or a loop, or something. They're all just flat turns, straight sections, and railings.

In all seriousness, ignore all posts using the term "forceless." You'll be a happier person. Go ride coasters. Have fun.

Seriously that's what they mean? Dummkopts. Even a Wacky Worm coaster deviates from normal Earth gravity (1G).

Everything before the "In all seriousness" wasn't meant to be taken literally. But to call a coaster that hits 0.5G and 4G "forceless" is ridiculous.

Go do things. Have an opinion about things you've done. Find out what you like and what you don't. There's nothing wrong with saying "I went on a B&M hyper and didn't like it" (I'm looking at you, Raging Bull). But to try to make your opinion sound like some sort of objective scientific analysis of gravitational forces is ignorant.

So like I say, just go have fun. The more you ride, and the more kinds of things you ride, the better you'll know what you like and what you don't. And then you can do the things you like more often.

Definition of "forceless":

millennium_vista.jpg

What I find funny about people calling MF forceless is that I went to Cedar Point while dealing with a pulled muscle in my lower back. I rode everything in the park multiple times. Going in I was worried that my back would be an issue as it hurt to stand. The only ride that caused me pain from the forces that whole weekend was MF.

The pullout of Millennium Force's first drop causes me to grey out every single time and once it gets going it delivers a lot of airtime. It's not I305 intense by any stretch (though it's a better ride) but when I think of forceless I don't think of Millennium Force.

Just quickly, here's a list of some of the most forceless coasters I can think of (obviously not small coasters, coasters with impressive stats that should be forceful but aren't). And to clarify, some of them are still very good rides. Millennium Force is more forceful than all of these and it's not close...

- Intinimdator at Carowinds

- Steel Force

- Hydra

- Dragon Coaster (Rye)

- Actually every floorless coaster in America except Dominator and Rougarou (but especially Hydra)

- Silver Bullet

- Wild Eagle

- Intimidator at Carowinds (I already said this one but I can't stress this enough... still fun but holy crap do something).

- Fahrenheit (really the only forceless adult Intamin I can think of... this includes Skull Mountain. Skull Mountain blows Fahrenheit to hell and I'm not even joking).

I actually like all of those rides, but they're all forceless as anything.

PS: I'm tempted to name a few more but they were saved by forceful helixes on otherwise forceless rides. Goliath at Magic Mountain and Nitro come to mind here but again... both are very good rides.

To be fair I understand that no coaster is technically forceless but the forces are minimal and gradual. The one exception is the Dragon Coaster at Rye Playland. It actually might be at 1G for the duration of the ride. I swear I've experienced more G forces on my couch.

Morgan Trains are good for that kind of thing...

- Actually every floorless coaster in America except Dominator and Rougarou (but especially Hydra)

You really think Bizarro is forceless? What are you smoking? It's not relentless throughout for sure, but on a good day it definitely has its moments: the zero-g no doubt, it really rips through the cobra roll, the helix after the midcourse is pretty heavy, the first vertical loop in the front or back of the train. Speaking of which, you really get yanked nicely through the entire course sitting in the back of Bizarro. My fave floorless out of Hydra, Rougarou and Bizarro, and by a large margin.

The pullout of Millennium Force's first drop causes me to grey out every single time and once it gets going it delivers a lot of airtime. It's not I305 intense by any stretch (though it's a better ride) but when I think of forceless I don't think of Millennium Force.

Just quickly, here's a list of some of the most forceless coasters I can think of (obviously not small coasters, coasters with impressive stats that should be forceful but aren't). And to clarify, some of them are still very good rides. Millennium Force is more forceful than all of these and it's not close...

- Steel Force

- Hydra

- Dragon Coaster (Rye)

- Silver Bullet

- Wild Eagle

- Intimidator at Carowinds (I already said this one but I can't stress this enough... still fun but holy crap do something).

- Fahrenheit (really the only forceless adult Intamin I can think of... this includes Skull Mountain. Skull Mountain blows Fahrenheit to hell and I'm not even joking).

PS: I'm tempted to name a few more but they were saved by forceful helixes on otherwise forceless rides. Goliath at Magic Mountain and Nitro come to mind here but again... both are very good rides.

How can they be forceless? Every ride you listed has at least 3G's.

Like I said

To be fair I understand that no coaster is technically forceless but the forces are minimal and gradual. The one exception is the Dragon Coaster at Rye Playland. It actually might be at 1G for the duration of the ride. I swear I've experienced more G forces on my couch.

Morgan Trains are good for that kind of thing...

And the Dragon Coaster was sort of a joke. But if you ride El Toro, Batman, Maverick, Kuma or Montu and ride one of these you'll see what I mean. It's more about how a ride feels than it's actual stats. Abrupt directional changes, violent airtime and quick changes in G force make a ride feel forceful. Slow, gradual transitions like on modern B&M's make the ride feel less intense than something like Kumba where the elements hit at high speed in short amounts of time.

Skull Mountain blows Fahrenheit to hell and I'm not even joking

Also, I would say I agree that technically Wild Eagle is forceless, but it's the "floaty forecloses" that makes it amazing, especially at night.

- Steel Force

- Hydra

- Dragon Coaster (Rye)

- Silver Bullet

- Wild Eagle

How can they be forceless? Every ride you listed has at least 3G's.

giphy.gif

I already see where this thread is going . . .

Alright, regular skydiver here...

Skydiving from a plane is absolutely "forceless" until you throw your main parachute due to the fact you're traveling at a speed greater than terminal velocity, horizontally, which then translates to vertical freefall over like 8-10 seconds. In other words you're extremely close to a perfect 1G until that point. This experience is more intense than all but two coasters I've ever ridden and for the vast majority of people will far eclipse even something like Intimidator 305 due to the fact that it's skydiving (which for the record I thought I305 was much more "intense").

While a ride may not have quite as much "force" it can still be extremely engaging and be better than rides that have much more force. A perfect example of this is Twisted Colossus which I rode in October. IMO, this ride kicked the living crap out of say...Batman...in that very same park which is way more forceful and honestly more "intense" at least to me. Where I'm going with this is that while a ride should certainly be partially judged on how "extreme" the forces are if that's what you're looking for, that's only one criteria of a the whole experience.

Most people would rank skydiving above every single roller coaster in existence in terms of an "intense experience" but by this definition and argument is more force-less than 95% of all the roller coasters on Earth and therefore "worse". This is simply not reality.

EDIT: Basically what coasterbill said in so many words:

Like I said

And the Dragon Coaster was sort of a joke. But if you ride El Toro, Batman, Maverick, Kuma or Montu and ride one of these you'll see what I mean. It's more about how a ride feels than it's actual stats. Abrupt directional changes, violent airtime and quick changes in G force make a ride feel forceful. Slow, gradual transitions like on modern B&M's make the ride feel less intense than something like Kumba where the elements hit at high speed in short amounts of time.

Edited by bf9

Yeah like I said I really like all the coasters I mentioned. Force does not make or break a ride, but sometimes after riding something like Gatekeeper (which I love) it's nice to get on a ride like Maverick because it's almost like it's trying to say "Okay enough of that floaty fairy tale bulls*t hang on and try not to die or get thrown into the lake".

Yeah like I said I really like all the coasters I mentioned. Force does not make or break a ride, but sometimes after riding something like Gatekeeper (which I love) it's nice to get on a ride like Maverick because it's almost like it's trying to say "Okay enough of that floaty fairy tale bulls*t hang on and try not to die or get thrown into the lake".

Perfectly said

Forceless means lacking in force

Forceless coaster means a coaster lacking in forces

Of course, every coaster has some forces, but people tend to exaggerate.

For example, if I was to say that a person has no common sense, of course that person probably has "some" common sense.

Edited by larrygator

You really think Bizarro is forceless? What are you smoking? It's not relentless throughout for sure, but on a good day it definitely has its moments: the zero-g no doubt, it really rips through the cobra roll, the helix after the midcourse is pretty heavy, the first vertical loop in the front or back of the train. Speaking of which, you really get yanked nicely through the entire course sitting in the back of Bizarro. My fave floorless out of Hydra, Rougarou and Bizarro, and by a large margin.

Bizarro is an awesome ride, and I definitely remember the zero-g roll and how crazy that was. I really don't understand this whole "forceless" thing, because most coasters have great forces. You know, we just have such high standards that we tend to shun the ones that are less than that...