TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Garbels does a day in Hong Kong

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's from bad maintenance. I rode it at the end of 2014 before the start of their annual maintenance and that thing was deadly rough.There was a girl around 8 who was in tears after her ride because she had a really bad headache. Trust me I'm not exaggerating a bit about how rough it was. It's the kind of B&M vertical rattling that there's no brace position you can use to avoid it. I'm surely glad they fixed the issue and now it's running well though!

I love that video of Hair Raiser, such beautiful sights and great footage (especially that airtime hill!). I don't remember any sort of roughness at all. All I remember is how much fun I had on an unique B&M with a great layout!

Sounds like I need to head back and try it again, the layout and location are definitely spectacular enough to warrant a repeat visit!

I just got back on monday home from a 3 week trip from asia. Still have jet lag, thus the reason im up at 1am writing this. I spent a week in hongkong and also did disney and opean park. We did disney first on a saturday. It was not busy, longest wait was for RC at about 10 mins, most all other rides where walk one. And i really hope they reproduce mystic manor and mine train ride. I think mystic manor is probably one of my favorite disney fark rides (have bot been to any tokyo park yet), and i loved mine train. We did ocean park monday. It was DEAD. Walk to hair raiser. But my family would be the only ones on the train and they waited for at least 10 mins each time before they disbatched us, i guess hoping more people would show up. Rode it a handfull of time and the most it was full was maybe half a train. I found it to be really jerkey and rattle, but I ride medusa so much and sfdk and it being a smooth b&m, I though hair raiser had the rattles. But overall I enjoyed the ride alot. And ocean park was a very nice park, even though me and my wife felt liked caged monkeys, with all the people taking photos of us. I kid you not as we where leaving, we had a line of people lined up to take photos or selfies with us, we had to just leave it was a but out of hand.

I wouldn't consider myself "experienced" but for me there was a rattle when I went September '13, enough to mention it in a TR since I was surprised with it being so new but not enough to really detract from the experience. Kind of like the rattle I sometimes get on T Express when I get single-rider dumped into an empty car by myself, enough to notice it's there, but not enough to spoil the ride.

Powereds are Real Credits

Also, i am looking at doing something similar to this, because of some cheap airline fares i have found. Good to know that you can do Hong Kong in a day. I did Tokyo for 2 days a few weeks ago and it is totally doable, as Robb says, you dont get to fully experience the place but if thats the most time you can get off you have to take it!

Super, super cool trip and TR. I also wondered how much it would cost to fly to Japan for the weekend or HK, then figured you had to have a lot of sky miles or something like that. Definitely keep doing that sort of thing! I wish I had traveled a bit more when I had the chance. I'm no old maid by any stretch haha but my life is set up such now that to take a weekend off is really difficult, and planning a week-long trip is done 6-12 months in advance. What other destinations are you thinking of jetting off to?? Give us some hints!

Super, super cool trip and TR. I also wondered how much it would cost to fly to Japan for the weekend or HK, then figured you had to have a lot of sky miles or something like that. Definitely keep doing that sort of thing! I wish I had traveled a bit more when I had the chance. I'm no old maid by any stretch haha but my life is set up such now that to take a weekend off is really difficult, and planning a week-long trip is done 6-12 months in advance. What other destinations are you thinking of jetting off to?? Give us some hints!

Thanks for the kind words. Not too much craziness really planned for a while. Next over-seas coaster adventure is a week long Germany/Sweden trip where I use real vacation.

The only other adventure I may do this year is something over Labor Day. Memorial Day is a hard weekend to travel with the summer season starting.

It was the Rosedale Hotel Kowloon. Fantastic property and sky bar, and I picked it because it was super affordable and right by the Olympic train station.

However, there was nothing really in the immediate area for a tourist. I would stay right near Avenue of the Stars or in Hong Kong itself near Central next time.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! That is some serious dedication to seeing new parks!

I'm amazed you managed to get that many rides packed into that short a time - phenomenal trip planning!

Hong Kong is so easy to get around and to/from the airport especially - probably the best public transport system in the world.

Also, don't be too bummed out about missing the Symphony of Lights - it's cool that they do it, but I found it fairly underwhelming - the view is amazing, but the "show" is mostly the existing lights blinking, along with some lasers. Definitely worth seeing the next time you're in town, but I wouldn't sweat it beyond that.

Once Shanghai gets a couple of seasons under it's belt, I want to do a Disney hopping Asia trip and hit all three parks with some other cultural stuff in between like The Great Wall. I'd like to squeeze in a couple of other parks along the way.

Also, don't be too bummed out about missing the Symphony of Lights - it's cool that they do it, but I found it fairly underwhelming - the view is amazing, but the "show" is mostly the existing lights blinking, along with some lasers. Definitely worth seeing the next time you're in town, but I wouldn't sweat it beyond that.

Yea, gotta agree with this we got there early thinking it'd be a bigger deal and were quite disappointed. We couldn't fit it in on our last trip but apparently Macau does some awesome firework displays over the space of a few months in Autumn for a fireworks world championship.