TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Park Pet Peeves

Most of mine are already mentioned but I have a few:

GP who think they know about how coasters work but clearly do not:

One time when I was in line for Kingda Ka some guy was trying to explain to these girls that there is a Corvette engine in the trains which make them go fast. I never laughed so hard but it was annoying to listen to being an enthusiast.

People who cannot read the EXIT sign when getting off a ride:

When I worked on HellCat at Clementon Park we would always tell the guests to exit to the LEFT where the sign was pointing with an arrow but every other train people would still climb out to the right.

Annoying kids jumping in the way when you are filming a ride:

Once in a while when I am trying to film a good shot of a ride some annoying kids jump in the way & block the shot while making a stupid face.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who cannot read the EXIT sign when getting off a ride:

When I worked on HellCat at Clementon Park we would always tell the guests to exit to the LEFT where the sign was pointing with an arrow but every other train people would still climb out to the right.

We severely had the same problem at AA with Rampage. Maybe it's because our parks are linked......

^Lol at least your park is nicer & the guests aren't from Camden, NJ (#1 city for highest crime rate in the country) carrying pocket knives with them because there is no metal detectors before you enter the park. I was scared some days at work with the guests we get. Thankfully I won't be working for them anymore.

Being a klutz one of the big ones for me is basketballs, just this summer one clown let it roll around and of course I tripped over it.

I think the biggest one for me would be bad operators.

For example on Loch Ness Monster (it shocked me that it happened at Busch Gardens) the person who was at the control panel (who, keep in mind, was a supervisor) would let the spiel play 2 words then start it over and keep doing this about 20 times. Then he'd just keep pressing/letting go of Dispatch while the train was leaving.

Then again, on most days, Loch Ness Monster has one of the best crews.

Matt- I mean, TTD does compare that engine to the engines found in top fuel dragsters, so in that case I wouldn't say it is that absurd. But it is Ka and even a corvette doesn't go 0-128 in 3.5.

Correct me if I am wrong, but HellCat has PTC's? If so, does it have seatbelts? That was something that always drove me nuts with working at Twister II, that people wouldn't buckle and when I would tell them they need to buckle, they ask if they have to.

I really hate when the Ride-ops don't tell the truth about their coasters. Like this summer, I was at Cedar Point, and the Maverick operator said it was the steepest coaster in the world. No, not that it was the first coaster to go past 90º, but that it was still the steepest. Of course I didn't stick my head out at them and tell them they were wrong, as this was a school field trip and I didn't wanna get kicked out, but man was I mad(until Maverick got me in it's airtime-filled grasp).

Matt- I mean, TTD does compare that engine to the engines found in top fuel dragsters, so in that case I wouldn't say it is that absurd. But it is Ka and even a corvette doesn't go 0-128 in 3.5.

Correct me if I am wrong, but HellCat has PTC's? If so, does it have seatbelts? That was something that always drove me nuts with working at Twister II, that people wouldn't buckle and when I would tell them they need to buckle, they ask if they have to.

Yes HellCat's trains are PTC.

I've got some good pet peeves.

GROSSLY overweight guests that complain when they don't fit on a ride and stop the whole operation while they attempt to buckle a seatbelt that is clearly at least 5 inches short of being buckled.

Guests who you tell to put things away, they ignore you, lose the item on the ride, and then proceed to harass you about it the rest of the day.

spitters

Enthusiasts who try to "wow" you with information that is incorrect while waiting in line, or overhearing people making outrageous claims about the rides in conversation while waiting in line.

People who can't get to a trashcan when they are every 10 feet along the midways.

Last but not least, all those little shreds of toilet paper that accumulate on bathroom floors.

9) Parents yelling/scolding their kids in public...parents should know that yelling at their kids in public not only ruins their fun, but also of those around them.

I don't know about this one, it makes my day when kids are scolded.

Parents getting after kids = win! Half the time, parents let their little ones do whatever they please, regardless how much it's bothering anyone else. I've seen a few parents yell at their kids to tell them "watch where you're going, you almost ran into that guy" when their kids aimlessly run or "get back over here with me" when they decide they want to squeeze past the next 10 people. Other times, the parents sit back and the kids do as they please and have no discipline.

I cannot stand people that do not understand how the whole que gate system works. School days are the worst. No matter how many times you announce to board the row you are waiting for you have idiots running from the middle rows to the front or back seat as soon as you open the gates.

^But of all the pet peeves listed, I don't think I do any of them. I don't jump queues, I don't stop walking for no reason in the middle of a midway, I don't talk loudly about things of which I have no idea while waiting in line, I don't step all over people's feet in front of me in line, I don't smoke, I follow all rules. It's really not that hard.

Also what's up with all these supposed injured people getting to go to the front of the line? I had a torn MCL for SFMM and Disneyland with an actual doctors note but still limped around and went through the normal line. Whereas just plain fat people or someone hopping around with no crutches, cast or anything get to ride first??? WTF.

You may not know about the person who gets the backcut. I know someone, that if they stay standed for too long, they could collapse.

Unfortunately, the guy working there told him he needed to wait for the line to clear up.

So yeah, remember if someone is just limping around with no crutchs, it could be a medical problem.

-Matt

But of course, those of us infrequent viewers of football games wouldn't pull stupid things like hopping fences to interfere with the game or start fights/annoy nearby fans/be inconsiderate of others by blocking their view/path/break obvious rules the venue may have; most of what this thread was about.

Yeah...of course not...

^But of all the pet peeves listed, I don't think I do any of them. I don't jump queues, I don't stop walking for no reason in the middle of a midway, I don't talk loudly about things of which I have no idea while waiting in line, I don't step all over people's feet in front of me in line, I don't smoke, I follow all rules. It's really not that hard.

I never do any of that intentionally either, though I can't unequivocally say I'm free of any guilt.

If my group and I are walking along, we typically walk with a purpose and have a goal. But if we're on our way, and someone notices a walk-on along the way in passing, we may very well quickly change our minds and go to the walk-on, which I can see as looking like those obnoxious people who walk crazily or stop for "no reason". I also know that I'll joke around with my friends all the time making up ridiculous stats or claims. But unless you know me, I'd look clueless.

And while I never line jump, a friend and I were accused of it once at Kingda Ka. Well, at least until we explained what was happening (we were actually moving backwards in line to avoid accidentally queuing for front row).

I absolutely agree that in many instances, it's common sense to not be an idiot and try to go Kobe/LeBron with your basketball or scale fences or walls, but some things aren't quite as clear cut or intentional. You don't have to know you're doing something annoying to other people for them to notice it.

Park pet peeves... hmm...

1. When i'm with a group whom, after two hours, say they want to go home and sleep.

2. People who ask me after coming off of an intense coaster "Is it scary?"

3. Too long lines

4. Line Jumpers (I have seen them, all were never caught.)

5. Fast Passes

6. Sitting next to a coaster-phobic person dealing with their fears.

7. Hearing people come off of the parks best rides saying it was boring.

8. Large crowds

9. Hot days

10. operators who take too long to let the people off of rides.

That makes me think that person probably shouldn't be going on a rollercoaster.

I saw a great one going to Magic Mountain on Sunday. On Terminator a couple walked in front of us to get in the line and before walking to where the line starts, started to make out while blocking the whole empty portion of the line. Quite awesome.

Also what's up with all these supposed injured people getting to go to the front of the line? I had a torn MCL for SFMM and Disneyland with an actual doctors note but still limped around and went through the normal line. Whereas just plain fat people or someone hopping around with no crutches, cast or anything get to ride first??? WTF.

You may not know about the person who gets the backcut. I know someone, that if they stay standed for too long, they could collapse.

Unfortunately, the guy working there told him he needed to wait for the line to clear up.

So yeah, remember if someone is just limping around with no crutchs, it could be a medical problem.

-Matt