TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Park Pet Peeves

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my pet peeves from a ride op standpoint are people who leave their arms on the Racer's buzz bars when I'm trying to check them, and people who place their purses and fanny packs over their seat belts when I'm trying to check those. Arggh! So annoying!!

Let me sum up my pet peeve using quotes from my trip to Cedar Point last year.

"Let's ride THE Raptor!"

"THE Maverick was fun!"

"THE Blue Streak looks like a kiddie ride!"

And from Facebook

"Is that THE Millennium Force? I love that ride!"

It's a minor pet peeve, but annoying once you hear it every 5 seconds.

^Some of these rides (Not Cedar Point) actually do have the word "The" tacked on the front of it's name, as noted as it's signage: The Demon, The Grizzly....Often I'll stick the word "The" on the front of the ride's model name such as "Let's go on the drop tower" or just refer to rides by their type rather than their actual name...as my cousin forgets ride names.

Some other peeves of mine...not sure if I mentioned it but here goes...

-People who complain that they're uncomfortable just before dispatching the ride...then the ops have to undo all the restraints (depending on the type of ride) only delaying what's about to be enjoyed

-Being paired up with other outside people when there's 2 of us (Say riding a 4-seater ride/B&M), I guess this works, helps with keeping the lines going quickly

-Major peeve: People deciding if they want to ride while blocking the ride's entrance. Come on! Stand off to the side and let others pass if you're reading the safety rules and talking it over with your group.

-People who space out when the line moves ahead a good 20 feet...and they just stand there.

-People who look like they're waiting/blocking the single rider line (20 foot gap thing again) but really they're in the 3 or more queue...their group just spreads themselves out

-last rule...the unwritten rule in CGA's Boomerang Bay. Those who've been in Boomerang Bay and rode the 2 slides (Tubed slide, and green airtime slide as I refer them as) know that there's really 1 line to the left (for the 2 slides) and a single line to the right (for the family raft slide). I'm not sure how it goes but I guess just before the railing starts, the people move to the sides determining what side of the pair they're going to ride. The rest of the line before is just in a single line...but is very confusing as it looks like 1 slide has a short line and 1 an extremely long line. Some say that the line splits further up the stairs, while I've seen people just walk by and get in where the split starts. So that's my peeve...queue confusion!

Honestly, There's only one thing that really bugs me. (Thanks to a entire Loud, Obnoxious, Annoying, and plain out rude family at DCA)

When your standing in a queue and the people behind you seriously give you 1" of space. Then, when you ask, very politely if they can give you a little space, they try to start something with you. Yea, 1 hour of that and you're sure to go mad!

And yes the the Disney Cast members took them out of the line and every one in the area clapped in relief.

^Some of these rides (Not Cedar Point) actually do have the word "The" tacked on the front of it's name, as noted as it's signage: The Demon, The Grizzly....Often I'll stick the word "The" on the front of the ride's model name such as "Let's go on the drop tower" or just refer to rides by their type rather than their actual name...as my cousin forgets ride names.

I know some rides do have a "the" on the front. I don't like it when "the" is stuffed in front of a name that doesn't have "the" in it. As for models, that's fine. I'm really picky when it comes to ride names. I think it's because of the amount of times I hear "Fast Track" and "that there space shuttle ride" when I go to Disney World. After a while, it really gets on my nerves.

The only thing that bugs me is when I'm riding solo I see a whole bunch of empty seats leave the station while I'm stuck in line.

Tell me about it. Nothing bothers me more then being a single rider standing in a hour+ line for a ride that seats 4 people across and being stuck sitting there watching every train leave with at least a few empty seats.

B) The Church Youth Group full of little soul-savers who have a dirtier mouth than mine and have sponsors (i.e. parents, college students,ect..)showing off more clevage and leg than my wife , then get bent out of shape for calling them out as hypocrities. They have a special circle of hell designated for pissants like them.

You're calling people "hypocrites" at an amusement park and are surprised that they get mad about it? Gee wonder why. Projecting YOUR morals on people doesn't make you right and them wrong; you sound way too judgmental.

Themepark Rent-A-Cops are pretty much failed cops who couldnt cut it on a real police force, so they get a job at Six Flags...
^Or any rent-a-cop in that matter. The untimate low is probably Wal-Mart Rent-a-cops though.

Security is a job like any other job. And it normally pays well enough. No need to generalize and tear down people who are just trying to make an honest buck.

ok about the empty seats thing. As guy who works at ioa we get yelled at if we dont have a certain number trains go an hr. Usually those empty seats get empty because guests are sometimes dumb and bring a bag in the line when there told not to or to slow to get the gates. Theres no point for us holding up a train to fill a row. Hope that kinda explains it. Sorry off topic

-People who space out when the line moves ahead a good 20 feet...and they just stand there.

I understand why. But the line really won't move any faster. You'll still get on the same time as if they moved forwarded.

It's sometimes annoying, but usually I don't care.

--James

Really, I think it's a psychological thing...For me, it's much like those who space out at a green light, or are driving 10mph under the speed limit on a single lane road, and there's no way around them.

ok about the empty seats thing. As guy who works at ioa we get yelled at if we dont have a certain number trains go an hr. Usually those empty seats get empty because guests are sometimes dumb and bring a bag in the line when there told not to or to slow to get the gates. Theres no point for us holding up a train to fill a row. Hope that kinda explains it. Sorry off topic

Ya I understand your point, I wasn't saying it was the parks fault, just saying it in general. It's everyones fault.

Queues that don't have cover/enough cover over them. I've gotten sunburned to many times while waiting to get on FireHawk/Diamondback with there crappy covers over them. For any that haven't seen them, there like a diangled piece of tarp. They are only good for a certain time of the day, when the sun is facing that direction. But when it's morning time, and the sun is blazing there doing nothing at all.

Yes I'm aware there's this thing called sunscreen, but it's still annoying to sit there in the intense sunlight getting cooked alive. Not to mention you can't even bring anything on Firehawk, and the wait can be as long as 2 hours.

One thing I have always wondered about is why some people hold their arms in the air the entire time while going up the lifthill. Looks silly in my opinion.....

I actually kind of feel that way about people putting their arms up in general. I know it's very popular among enthusiasts, and I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but trying to keep my arms up just kind of distracts me from the actual ride.

/Other people doing it is not really a peeve, though--just for clarification.

Yeah, that's kind of how I feel too, although I agree that I don't mind others doing it (we all ride differently, fair enough). These days I kind of hold on out of habit, and because I like to brace against being thrown around too much. It's only when people who do put their arms up act like not doing it makes you a wuss does it really irk me.

My actual park pet peeves:

-People screaming on rides just because they feel like being loud (in my experience this is not a problem really on bigger rides, but on mine trains, indoor coasters & haunted houses it can be a real issue)

-Ride ops that over-abuse the loudspeakers in stations (e.g singing songs, trying to play games with the GP, going on about how cute/awesome/cool they or the ride is)

-Those park employees that stand near the park entrance and are always trying to pull people over "Hey, wanna get a picture?"

-Ride ops texting/talking on their cell phones while operating the ride (again, very common)

-People that let their kids run wild and get in the way

Those awesome people that force the ride operators to e-stop the ride on the lift hill because they epic failed at sneaking their camera on the ride. I love having to wait another 10 minutes for the op to climb the lift hill and take the camera from the rider.

Oh, and obese women in Norway who almost start a fight with Steve C because they don't know that you're not allowed to get out of line to buy a chocolate-covered waffle and then try to cut line to your former place.

Parents who just let their aimless 5-year-old run wild. I've had many near colissions with that kid who would be running 1 direction and a second later going off another direction w/o even looking....The parents are typically 20 feet or so behind them. Really, this is both a park peeve, and just a being out in public peeve...aimless kids in Walmart anyone?

20 pages and I haven't seen one of mine listed yet:

* People who 'make out' in line. You know there is a difference between being friendly and activity that borders on "Get a Room!"

Regarding the others:

* The person who holds up the line - Yes, I know I won't get to the boarding area any faster, but there is just something about the person who zones out and lets a 30' gap get between them and the next person. That said the flip side of that can be nice, that is when you do move 30-50' all at once.

* The children in line - Hey, I understand lines are dull and boring, I don't like waiting in them ether. I draw the line when the misbehaving kid whose chaperones think "Oh, he's so cute" or are totally oblivious to what the kid is doing when the actions of said kid disrupt my day. Note; this can happen in the queues and out on the midway, or yes evenin WalMart. In line its the little kids who crawl or walk around you wether you are in front of in back of them. I like when the parents have moved on in the line forgetting to make sure the kids have kept up with them. Sometimes I take to ignoring the kids and figuring "The parents will figure it out sooner or later" And they usually do when the kid is now five people back in line.

* Its hardly worth mentioning the cases of "My so-and-so is up there" line jumpings I have been a victim of. I've even seen a few make a second LAP while I'm in line. One that strikes me as funny, earlier this month I was in line for Cornball Express. I had just joined the queue. A kid comes up, does the "My friends up there" - said friend was the person ahead of us in line, so no big deal, but then the friend takes off to 'use the bathroom' Now, the bathrooms are located right next to the entrance to Cornball, so your telling me both of them couldn't have used the facilities before getting in line. Same duo proceeded to engage in a spitting-for-distance contest further up the stairs. On the other extreme is Goliath at SFMM where the line jumpers decided to manhandle us out of the way when we wouldn't move. I used to think line jumping only happened in long lines, but I've started to realize there is no line too short that there isn't room for jumping.

* I have to respond to the bit about oversize riders. I admit, I fit that category. I make use of test seats whenever they are available, don't try to make a scene when its obvious things aren't going to work out, etc. It does need to be said though, that sometimes you don't know your not going to fit until its too late. B&M's are bad for that, you get in the seat, pull down the bar, it locks, then you can't get the belt fastened. Yet, you can't try to make a quiet graceful exit because you can't get out of the seat until the bars are unlocked. Then the ride operator comes around and realizes "Great, now I'm going to have to recheck all these bars" I think thats why they might spend 15-30 seconds trying to see if they staple you enough to get the belt fastened. It's that or restart the whole bar check process over again. "Upbar!. Downbar!, Recheck!" Of course I honestly think the ride op standing in the station has a greater mechanical advantage at stapling/tightening a shoulder bar/lap bar than you do sitting in the seat. Plus, these guys are working those rides everyday, they can probably look at a 'borderline case' and tell right off it its hopeful or not.

My main one now is people who see you are taking a picture and walk in front of it anyway. This was beyond bad at Universal FL and SFOG recently. I would wait until the path was almost clear to take a picture and then some "badass" teen would purposelessly ruin the shot.

At Disney World, the problem wasn't people waiting, it was what people wanted others to wait for. People do not get that you can not block an entire walkway in Fantasyland at any point for a picture. Even better when the person gets pissed that a few hundred people did not stop. I make every effort to stop (because I know the pain of trying to get a clear shot) but there is a limit.

Papa John's is an 'okay' pizza when you get it from a real outlet, but I am almost completely dissatisfied whenever I actually get some at Six Flags Great America.

Of course I have no choice in the matter because there is like 12 Papa John outlets at the park (YAY for Variety!!!!) I can eat the same "Mediocre" thing everywhere I turn . . .UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny Rockets on the other hand is quite delicious but wildly overpriced.

Same thing with pop.

Why do I want to spend $12.99 on a souvenir bottle (which I'll have to stow at nearly every ride I like....for a dollar locker rental fee) for a product that is worth about $ .12 to $.15?

I would love to see a pay one price wristband for pop (and I WOULD even pay that) if I could just get my diet coke in a regular cup and NOT have to get nailed for the storage fee.

And If that's available and I just don't know about it, PLEASE someone correct me, there's only so many times I can refill the water bottle I bring into the park before I HAVE to go out to my car and get a Diet outta my cooler. And that takes time out of important things like riding Raging Bull and Viper.