TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Park Pet Peeves

For me it's the parents who think they're all badass until their child is not allowed to ride a certain coaster and then they get into a Gazillion minute argument on why their child can't ride and trying to act tough through it. Like, guy, they're caring about your kid's safety, screw them huh?

Edited by _IntaMAN_

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's the parents who think they're all badass until their child is not allowed to ride a certain coaster and they get in a Gazillion minute argument on why their child can't ride and trying to act tough through it. Like guy, they're caring about your kid's safety, screw them huh?

I was once working on a ride when one of these douchebags turned up. He was walking away and shouting that he was going to guest services to get me fired. At that point I had to laugh. Really? You want your child to be unsafe?

Some things that get on my nerves at parks (other than some of those already mentioned, like basketballs being used on walkways, people milling around and blocking line entrances, lines without adequate shade, teenaged girls screaming their lungs out all during a ride, and especially on the lift hill, etc) include overly-loud recorded announcements that get played in coaster and ride stations. I realize that many people (especially the bulk of the GP) might need to be reminded of such things pertaining to the ride, like where to store their bags, what can and can't be taken on the ride and other info, but some of these announcements are way too loud, too long and repeat way too often. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to have a conversation with someone while waiting for a ride and I have to shout and be shouted at to be heard and to hear. And then (as if parks aren't noisy enough with all the other stuff going on) the next day I invariably wake up barely able to speak with a sore throat and spend the whole day talking like a frog. And unnecessarily loud ride stations are IMO a major contributor to that problem.

After all, people do like to talk to each other and it helps to pass the time while waiting in line, so there's no reason to boost the noise level.

Other things that really irritate me are little kids who behave like wild animals, especially when they are in line behind me. Granted, without children amusement parks probably wouldn't exist, and most children are well-behaved and normally pass the time in line by playing with toys and gadgets or talking to other kids or their parents. However, at least a few times I've I had one or more kids in line behind me who constantly step on my heels, bang and bump into my legs and climb all over the railings and in general act like they have to go to the bathroom really bad, or like an animal leaping around in a cage. And worse yet, the parent(s) (if the parents are even with them and not waiting at the ride exit) just stand there with blank looks on their faces and do nothing, if they even seem to notice at all. This sort of thing can make a half hour wait seem like a 2 hour wait (as well as other aforementioned things, like unshaded lines on hot, sunny days).

For me it's the parents who think they're all badass until their child is not allowed to ride a certain coaster and they get in a Gazillion minute argument on why their child can't ride and trying to act tough through it. Like guy, they're caring about your kid's safety, screw them huh?

I was once working on a ride when one of these douchebags turned up. He was walking away and shouting that he was going to guest services to get me fired. At that point I had to laugh. Really? You want your child to be unsafe?

I love how this happens all the time, too. What would you rather, have our kid possibly die or not ride a coaster that could ride in 1 year when they're tall enough?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are a couple that come to mind:

Dirty, filthy, non-maintained or totally outdated restrooms that just feel disgusting.

Ride attendants that seem to flat out not care or would rather spend time socializing than assisting the guests in the park. And ones that seem to have a lack of urgency and seem to not enjoy their job. When I was a ride attendant at Stratosphere, I thought it was so much fun, getting to talk to people from all over the world, and ensure they have a memorable experience.

I thought I remember hearing one park, maybe Kennywood gave them out without air and it would be nice if all parks did that. Around 5 years Great Adventure some kid was bouncing a basketball in Scream Machine's station (when you could bring loose articles in the station) and he lost control of the basketball and it hit the track in the station and fell under the station area. I was hoping the park wouldn't get it back for him but they sent a mechanic under the station to get the basketball back.

^^When I was at SFNE earlier this year, I kept seeing teenagers running through out the park dribbling basketballs over park benches, railings and even little kids. I don't understand the ignorance of people. People who smoke in non designated areas, is probably my biggest pet peeve by far. I used to smoke for about two years (Going almost a year clean), but never did I once think about leaving a smoking area, as even then I knew how much others can't stand the habit.

Ride attendants that seem to flat out not care or would rather spend time socializing than assisting the guests in the park. And ones that seem to have a lack of urgency and seem to not enjoy their job. When I was a ride attendant at Stratosphere, I thought it was so much fun, getting to talk to people from all over the world, and ensure they have a memorable experience.

The last time I was on the Loch Ness Monster at BGW, the ride op that was supposed to be checking the restrains on my side of the train, was to busy flirting with girl behind the control booth. After the other ride op, who was doing a great job btw, was done checking the restrains on his side of the train, he ended up having to check the half of the other side of the train too since the other one was still to busy trying to impress the girl, who looked really annoyed too. We sat for a good couple minute, till he realized there was a train waiting to be dispatched because of him.

-People smoking in non-designated areas

-Rude park employees

-When ride-ops make kids take off their shoes before measuring

-When the park only has one train running and the lines are horribly wrong but the park's excuse is that it is "early in the season"

Gay days. I hate Gay days.

I'm just #&$%ing with you.

-When ride-ops make kids take off their shoes before measuring

In some cases this is extremely important to do. Many "parents" believe that tall shoes will help a child get to ride something, but the restraints are designed for attached limbs which meet the height restriction. They would come up to the entrance of the ride with 2-3" soles/heels! I couldn't count how many times I would have to enforce this in one week!

So the basketball thing - this is something I didn't encounter in the entire six weeks I spent traveling to US parks earlier this year. Is it more prevalent at certain parks? Or at certain times of the season?

So the basketball thing - this is something I didn't encounter in the entire six weeks I spent traveling to US parks earlier this year. Is it more prevalent at certain parks? Or at certain times of the season?

Some parks (namely Six Flags parks, but there are others) have these basketball challenge games in which winning gets you a basketball. And yes, when people get them, they feel the need to show them off e.g. dribbling them, tossing them, and basically just being as obnoxious as possible with them.

Some parks (namely Six Flags parks, but there are others) have these basketball challenge games in which winning gets you a basketball. And yes, when people get them, they feel the need to show them off e.g. dribbling them, tossing them, and basically just being as obnoxious as possible with them.

I'm glad Kennywood only gives them deflated.