TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

VICE Meets the 'Coaster Geeks'

I'm not sure if this in the right place. Nothing earth shattering for us types but I thought people who love coasters might enjoy an article about coasters and the geeks who love them.

Meet the 'Coaster Geeks' Who Travel the World Trying Out Roller Coasters

By Andy Jones, Photos: Jake Lewis

February 23, 2016

A theme park: not just somewhere you pay to gain access to, before spending the majority of your time standing in a line. These tourist attractions—these paved, fenced-in arenas of looping, colorful steel—are also churches, places of worship to hordes of so-called "coaster geeks."

Roller coaster aficionados tour the world in search of new rides, spending thousands on trips and merchandise and swearing allegiance—kind of like football fans—to their favorites. They obsess over the nuts and bolts of the roller coasters they ride; for a true coaster geek, it's not enough to just stand in line and spend two to three minutes upside down—they have to forensically understand each coil and curve.

Read the rest and check out a few photos at the link above.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but just reading this -

They obsess over the nuts and bolts of the roller coasters they ride; for a true coaster geek, it's not enough to just stand in line and spend two to three minutes upside down—they have to forensically understand each coil and curve.

It made me immediately not want to read the article because it's focusing on the super nerds, not the ones who just want to have fun. I'm sure ACE would go bananas over this article, though.

They obsess over the nuts and bolts of the roller coasters they ride; for a true coaster geek, it's not enough to just stand in line and spend two to three minutes upside down—they have to forensically understand each coil and curve.

It made me immediately not want to read the article because it's focusing on the super nerds, not the ones who just want to have fun. I'm sure ACE would go bananas over this article, though.

The three people they focus on I the article actually seem pretty normal compared to who you mention. But I do agree - That sentence really paints a negative picture. The rest of the article is pretty good I'd say!

No no no no no no, just no. This is exactly why I'm not quick to tell people I have a hobby of riding roller coasters. You couldn't bribe me with free tickets to a park to hang out with those people, or many other over-enthusiasts nerds. I'm not talking about people who enjoy riding a lot of roller coasters. I'm talking about the over obsessive flamboyant types who can't just relax and have a good time without knowing every aspect/specification of a ride they love or criticizing the rides they do not. My wife and I just look at each other and roll our eyes on the rare occasion we're standing next to these people at parks and can't help but overhear them. Hell, I even refuse to purchase or wear theme park merchandise just to make an effort not to be confused as one of these people.

^^^ People on a Theme park message board saying "I'm not a nerd like that!"

Also having an issue with someone you've never met simply because they are extraordinary passionate about their hobby says much more about you than it does about them.

Also having an issue with someone you've never met simply because they are extraordinary passionate about their hobby says much more about you than it does about them.

I don't have an issue with them, personally. I have an issue with how they're portrayed by articles such as this. It's the same issue I have with The Big Bang Theory. Every person I know who works in the science field absolutely HATES that show because it paints such an extreme picture of odd-ness rather than presenting those people as they would be in real life. Rather than just saying they're normal guys who happen to be into this type of thing they blow everything about the quirk to extreme proportions and then that caricature is seen as true.

^ My comment was mostly directed @ prozach626. Also, I get what you're saying about presenting them as characters as that's a bit unfair, but there are definite truths to all stereotypes mentioned and/or alluded to in the piece. There are most definitely TPR'ers that obsess over every nut and bolt LOL. Not to mention, its VICE. Most of their writers are awful, and 95% of the articles focus on the sensational aspect of the subject. I happened to be on there reading a completely unrelated article, noticed the headline, and thought I'd post it here.

jimmy.gif.6b70e4f81224a54f479159920a826f06.gif

The three people they focus on I the article actually seem pretty normal compared to who you mention. But I do agree - That sentence really paints a negative picture. The rest of the article is pretty good I'd say!

One of them called SFMM a roller coaster mecca, so they are definitely not normal...credit whores and fans of mediocre (Twisted Colossus notwithstanding) rides perhaps, but definitely not normal.

Edited by Jew

I really liked the article. It does go into detail regarding our love for coasters. I like it when they explain what we always observe beyond the tracks and trains, The restraints , the wheels, manufacturer, etc. I don't publicly express my knowledge about the rides but I do make it a point to others that I am a nerd when it comes to roller coasters and theme parks and if they have any questions I can try to answer them to the best of my abilities. It makes for better conversation than Intruding into what the gp say about rides. Nonetheless when I hear a nerd talking about it, I don't mind it unless they are being obnoxious.

No no no no no no, just no. This is exactly why I'm not quick to tell people I have a hobby of riding roller coasters.

OK, then I'll take the time to say that DirkFunk (YAH THIRD PERSON, COME GET IT) will totally hang out with the crew of people close to his peer group that have tattoos and listen to a lot of the same stuff he does. ACE had two regional reps get busted for sex crimes (both with minors IIRC); that's who I'm worried about being associated with.

No no no no no no, just no. This is exactly why I'm not quick to tell people I have a hobby of riding roller coasters. You couldn't bribe me with free tickets to a park to hang out with those people, or many other over-enthusiasts nerds. I'm not talking about people who enjoy riding a lot of roller coasters. I'm talking about the over obsessive flamboyant types who can't just relax and have a good time without knowing every aspect/specification of a ride they love or criticizing the rides they do not. My wife and I just look at each other and roll our eyes on the rare occasion we're standing next to these people at parks and can't help but overhear them. Hell, I even refuse to purchase or wear theme park merchandise just to make an effort not to be confused as one of these people.

Thats pretty derogatory towards people who have a passion for learning how roller coasters work (nerds) as you call them. Maybe learn something from us "nerds"

One of them called SFMM a roller coaster mecca, so they are definitely not normal...credit whores and fans of mediocre (Twisted Colossus notwithstanding) rides perhaps, but definitely not normal.

Hahaha. I agree with you, but I do know that a lot of non-local people seem to glorify SFMM. It makes me so confused!

THIS!

^ My comment was mostly directed @ prozach626. Also, I get what you're saying about presenting them as characters as that's a bit unfair, but there are definite truths to all stereotypes mentioned and/or alluded to in the piece. There are most definitely TPR'ers that obsess over every nut and bolt LOL. Not to mention, its VICE. Most of their writers are awful, and 95% of the articles focus on the sensational aspect of the subject. I happened to be on there reading a completely unrelated article, noticed the headline, and thought I'd post it here.

Great point. If I've learned one thing from being a coaster enthusiast, its to always take everything you read/watch on the Internet (or any big news platform) with a grain of salt, and do a bit of digging/research to see what's really going on... Most of the time it's not what the headline makes it out to be.

I don't really care about the article. Yeah, they're showing off the absolute nerdiest coaster enthusiasts since reading about someone who counts all the bolts on a ride is more interesting than reading about someone who just really enjoys theme parks and likes to have fun there. I may not nearly as nerdy as the people in the article, though I can spew out some roller coaster enthusiast nerdiness if asked about it. I really don't care about the super nerds. If obsessing over all the nuts and bolts makes you happy, go for it. The only part of the article that annoyed me was the enthusiast who said "My fiancé thinks he's a roller coaster geek". Don't like the idea that you have to be count the nuts and bolts obsessive to be classified as a coaster enthusiast/nerd. If you say you're a coaster enthusiast, you are one. It's all just about having fun anyways. Aside from that, it was a fine article.

^^^ People on a Theme park message board saying "I'm not a nerd like that!"

absofreakinglutely. It's very interesting to me and it's something I enjoy, but it sure as hell isn't something I live my life around. I play ice hockey 2-3 times a week, but that doesn't make me a 'jock,', because I'm not obsessed with it. I enjoy motor sports to the point where I always have a fast car in my garage that I turn wrenches on, but that doesn't make me a 'greaser' or some fast and furious fanboy. Do I have time to cruise the message boards to read/post about things I'm interested in? Considering my career offers me some 200 days off per year, I'd say so. Browsing theme park message boards during my vast amount of free time has allowed me to visit some of the best parks in the country and plan my trips around things I'm interested in riding. Do I want to be grouped in the same category as people who obsess about roller coasters to the point where they defy social norms? Hell no.

I'm perfectly fine with that.

^I'm not cool, nor do I give two sh*ts about being cool. I'm just not obsessive and I'm selective about who I chose to socialize with. I no more want to socialize with the coaster fashion queen wicked witch of Alton Towers anymore than I want to have a conversation with any of the 'peaked in high school' douchers. There are plenty of other people for those individuals to spend time with.

^Sorry... Missed that whole paragraph. Trying to wrap my head around 200 Days off. Amazing... Would kill for that much time off

Sometimes I think about doing something else for a living... and then I look at my schedule or I think about how I spent about 10 hours of my 12 hour shift last night reading my book, driving around aimlessly, youtubing, cruising car lots, and BSing with buddies on my squad. If you offered me double my salary to pick a 9-5 career I would probably turn it down. Living comes before working, as long as you make enough money to comfortably and responsibly support yourself.