TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite attraction never made?

There was a Discovery Channel show about coasters made about 10 years ago,and they mentioned a ride that had been designed called the Golden Gate Thunderbolt:it was a coaster that used the bridge as the support structure and theoretically went like 200 MPH.Any chance of CGA or KBF building it?

1.) I highly doubt that it will ever be built.

2.) More information about the said coaster can be found here.

Actually. . . It was suppose to be a real thing at one point. I remember watching the same documentary about the coaster.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Giga at Cedar Point where Mean Streak is.

Or something like that based on Dick Kinzel's book.

The famous Gerstlauer Racing lift coaster at Alton Towers

A Vekoma 2 Looping Coaster based on Loch Ness Monster at PortAventura

Every idea for the People Mover at Disneyland

Wild Escape Theme Park/ Port Nebraska

DreamVision Theme Park

Robot Theme Park in South Korea

• 8 months later...
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the Fish Hook coaster for the Stratosphere gets my vote.

Jesus, when was that proposed? My guess would've been around 1999 since that was when I started building deathtraps in Roller Coaster Tycoon that looked eerily similar to this.

^^ Woah. That looks like it would be epic! The Strat coaster. I know its out of reach in reality as of now but I honestly cant wait for 1000 foot tall coasters with straight down drops. Heck who knows if it will ever happen at all! Still its fun to imagine. Im guessing it would be to much on the body but back in the day....lets day the early 1900s I doubt they would be able to handle the coasters we have now. But now we have built up a tolerance through out years and now look at the coasters we have now that might of not been imagined 110 or so years ago...

I still feel like making another thread, entitled "Favorite Attraction Never Cloned?"

And that would be the Alice In Wonderland attraction in Disneyland. A definite fan fave

as well as Peter Pan and Mr.Toad. Alice would be perfect for a trackless attraction, with

levels of travel, if they can figure it out with the trackless tech. And holographic theming.

Hey, even Toad got cloned once, at WDW, before being turned into... Pooh.

p.s. A high tech version of Alice would fit perfectly with the UK pavilion at EPCOT.

As well as Ratatouille for France... (o:

Some of the coasters in the earlier part of the 20th century definitely had stronger forces than the majority of coasters operating today. It's not like people have suddenly adapted to intensity or anything, and no modern coaster is intentionally designed above what humans can handle (other than maybe I-305 lol). I'm sure forces are not what stopped that coaster from being built.

^ Yea i read that a few times too actually but wasnt sure if it was true or exaggerated. A lot of elderly people admitted how coasters of there time pretty blew a lot of todays coasters away. However again I assumed they were exaggerating! Well if they are right that kind blows that they tamed down most coasters rather then intensify them....Im sure we can blame it on our sue happy society....Its a shame really. It also seems like the older coasters that are from that era that are still around just happen to be the tamer ones. As I never hear people say how those coasters beat many modern ones. Isnt there one in Knobels thats like that though?? One of the rougher grand daddies? But for real if what the elderly said is true,it must mean we mostly became to soft or/and sue happy.

I remember reading (after the fact of course) that Ultra Twister was going to be sent from the shuttered Six Flags Astroworld to Six Flags America, but it had been damaged in transit and ended up in the boneyard for a couple of years.

1. Where in SFA would it have been re built?

2. Whatever became of the ride?

^ Yea i read that a few times too actually but wasnt sure if it was true or exaggerated. A lot of elderly people admitted how coasters of there time pretty blew a lot of todays coasters away. However again I assumed they were exaggerating! Well if they are right that kind blows that they tamed down most coasters rather then intensify them....Im sure we can blame it on our sue happy society....Its a shame really. It also seems like the older coasters that are from that era that are still around just happen to be the tamer ones. As I never hear people say how those coasters beat many modern ones. Isnt there one in Knobels thats like that though?? One of the rougher grand daddies? But for real if what the elderly said is true,it must mean we mostly became to soft or/and sue happy.

More like high intensity adds to the maintenance costs. For example, the snappy transitions from the old B&Ms are fantastic but they wear out the track, side guide wheels and the upstop wheels a lot faster than the modern/slower transitions. As for wooden coasters, crazy airtime and lateral are very bad for the track and structure and we all know how expensive it is to do maintenance on wooden coasters. Money wise, tamer coasters are definitely the way to go.

I remember reading (after the fact of course) that Ultra Twister was going to be sent from the shuttered Six Flags Astroworld to Six Flags America, but it had been damaged in transit and ended up in the boneyard for a couple of years.

1. Where in SFA would it have been re built?

2. Whatever became of the ride?

1. No clue

2. This site has it being scrapped, but no sources. This seems like the most likely scenario, I doubt it had much value other than scrap metal. There are a few other posts on here saying it was scrapped also. It's also not on the google satellite view of the park, which was taken at some point after apocalypse was built, so I think it's safe to assume that it's gone.

chris.gif.85de9d9a8bd58abdbffbd94d751a6f09.gif

Our "sue happy society" has absolutely nothing to do with how intense a coaster a manufacturer creates. There are limits to what the human body can take and that dictates the forces that the designers have in mind during the design process.

Also an elderly person telling you that coasters/rides back in their day blew modern rides away is entirely subjective. There is no true/not true. No one is taming down their coaster designs for fear of being sued, more like fear of killing/hurting people.

Besides the maintenance costs, the reason so many of the rides in the past felt so wild and out-of-control is because they were basically engineered on site through a lot of trial and error. Builders at the time didn't have the sophisticated programs their contemporaries do. They didn't know how their coasters would ride until they actually tested them after construction. That's how you got some insane rides in the past, too, like the Travers coasters notorious for nurses in stations and people flying off the coaster. It's not really a matter of people being too soft nowadays, it's because it literally used to just throw s**t at the wall to see what stuck.

^ Yea that was the main coaster I had in mind was that Cyclone coaster. I heard the Bobs in Riverview Chicago was pretty good too. Despite the lack of technology the early 1900s sure did seem like an interesting period for coasters. Hey at least we got the RMCs and many of the Intamins to make up for it. As well as of course as mentioned the older B&Ms.

Despite people here making fun of you, I think you have a good point! I've heard similar stories from older people who've been on old wooden coasters. One reason why I think older wood coasters might have been "wilder" is the old restraints and trains.

Lots of wooden coasters back in the day had single-position lapbars that sat far above your lap, therefore giving riders a lot more space to move around and fly out of the seat. The only two wooden coasters I've been on with those style restraints are Coaster at Playland (In Vancouver, Canada) and Phoenix. Both of which are in my top coasters because of this reason. Look at how high the restraints sit in this picture - There's like nothing holding them in: