TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite attraction never made?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I think The Beatles should have gotten an entire Rushmore-style mountain thing.*

*Maybe The Stones, too. Actually, this could have been turned into a Mountain Range of sorts.

Nowadays, Rushmore-style mountain things in any park, are passe' IMhO. I mean, Disney created

an entire range for Carsland! The photos of it still amaze me, and I cannot wait to see it for myself.

However, I will give a bow to Nell and Dudley, and Whiplash and the horse(?) in IoA. That was brilliant.

I'm reading this really good Universal Studios history book(seriously it's really good). Shameless praise aside, there is a paragraph referencing the canned Jurassic Park jeep ride. ''Originally Universal intended to build an attraction based around the jeep ride that would be featured heavily in the movie. However Goddard(one of the men behind islands of adventure) felt this would work. In his words, I noted that our T-Rex was not going to be able to chase the jeep or tear thorough trees or jungles''.

I posted the concept art on the first page of the thread.

I'm going to continue. You guys probably seen concept sketches for both Gotham City at IOA and the original Dudley Do Right Ripsaw Falls (the one where your boat splits in half)

I don't remember seeing any of that. Interesting.

And I just found a possible circuit route for four Disneyland attractions

that would interact with each other, inside a Massive Show Building.

indianajonesandthelostexpedition1.jpg.ee26c7af4c8248a178dd77226b3f64a6.jpg

The afore- shown, massive mashup of FOUR attractions: the round-the park train; mine train ride; Indy Jones ride; Jungle Cruise.

indianajonesandthelostexpedition2.jpg.56509309b96a49c5dfc378a575897047.jpg

I forget where I got this from, but THANK YOU for figuring this out, as a possibility.

Everybody's in there, it appears. (o;

How about this gem!

Is this what Hard Rock Park wished it was.

Speaking of heard rock park . . .

The biggest competition for Hard Rock Park was not another theme park, it was the beach. Since they were only a few miles inland, the HRP team knew there would be a huge demand for water attractions, which would appeal to the local audience of sun worshipers. A splashdown boat attraction would have been a natural fit. This boat ride would have been themed after the 1964 classic, “Wipeout” by the Surfari’s. The flume would have fit perfectly beside the Live Amphitheater concert venue in the Born In The USA section of the park. Also, if you zoom in on the picture below, you will see a small expansion of the Banana Splitsville area of the park which would have included kids’ flat rides “Frogger Hopper” and “Rockin’ Tug.”

By far, out of anything Hard Rock Park had planned for the future, Mustang Sally would have been the most kick ass ride at the park had it gotten a chance. Sally would have also fit snugly beside the Live Amphitheater in the Born In The USA section of the park – instead of the Wipeout water ride I described earlier. The queue would have been a showroom illustrating the history of how the Ford Mustang has been synonymous with rock and roll. The six-passenger Mustang-inspired vehicles would have presumably had an on-board sound system provided by JL Audio. Your Mustang’s radio would play songs from American artists like Bob Seger, Huey Lewis, Joe Cocker and many more. The dark ride portion of the journey would have started off in Chicago, the east side of Route 66. Once guests left load, they would stop by a drive through to pick up some food before tearing off towards a drive in movie theater. Just before the car barreled through the screen, it would have made a sharp turn to avoid getting “flashed” by the paparazzi. Riders would have then careened down a street where some of their fans would’ve asked them to slow down to catch a glimpse of their bitchin’ new ride. “Accidentally” the car would hit a puddle, splashing the admirers as it peeled out!

Source

Oops! Forgot the rest of the story for the coaster . . .

Finally the Mustang would have stopped at a red light at the entrance to a tunnel. Some “bad guys” in a car would have pulled up alongside the Mustang and challenged the riders to a race. The “hero” car would have floored it leaving the challengers in the dust, zooming outside for the high speed portion. Leaving the tunnel at a speed of 70 mph in less than four seconds, the car would have passed famous Route 66 landmarks, maneuvering through hairpin turns and catching airtime over hills before reaching the West Coast. Upon reentering the show building, guests would have found themselves in Los Angeles, the other end of Route 66 where they would disembark from their one of a kind coaster experience.

Here's a few concept sketches of Islands of Adventure. Marvel was actually going to be DC comics.

Most of the original plans are here:

http://themeparkuniversity.com/universal/islands-adventure-never-part-1-bat-wing/

http://themeparkuniversity.com/universal/islands-adventure-never-part-2-ripsaw-falls/

There are more in the "related" column at the bottom

image.thumb.jpeg.d3b554ff47fe4216a0779aa5415a29dd.jpeg

image.jpeg.eb5be32522cb1495158084622205891a.jpeg

Lotte Worlds roof expansion would have had some interesting attractions, along with the re-theme of the ice-rink and main hub indoors, there's not many places they can expand inside to make bigger rides and considering most outdoor rides now have scream shields, perhaps because of the super expensive apartments nearby, I can't see this ever happening sadly.

11149682_10153474856564333_8956314770402020517_o.jpg

11942144_10153472652504333_1225796725280000388_o.jpg

There was also a 2nd park proposed, like most things Korea these days, it was aimed at mostly families over thrill seekers:

12377955_10153673708109333_5482088835217927396_o.jpg

And Everland also was going to make a next generation version of Universal's Terminator 3D attraction based around Aliens with James Cameron:

11059315_10153376051199333_7033615875635067013_n.jpg?oh=6ddd2ff22ba7028a552c2ec1d4c3f23c&oe=574EEED8

All photos from the Goddard Group

Here's a few concept sketches of Islands of Adventure. Marvel was actually going to be DC comics.

Most of the original plans are here:

http://themeparkuniversity.com/universal/islands-adventure-never-part-1-bat-wing/

http://themeparkuniversity.com/universal/islands-adventure-never-part-2-ripsaw-falls/

There are more in the "related" column at the bottom

Yeah I remember reading something about that in the Universal Studios book I have.

I remember seeing a blueprint of a Super Tilt-A-Whirl. It seems like it may have been an auction item at one of the Stark Raven Mad events but I can't say for sure. It may have been featured in an article in the magazine that Charlie Jacques(sp?) of Pennsylvania published for a number of years(the name of the magazine escapes me at this moment). I remember that it had twice the number of cars compared to the current models now in use at amusement parks today and it had a track design like the Whip rides in existence today(rectangular shape with round corners). I didn't try Google images to see if it exists on there or not. Also, I remember seeing a drawing or a blueprint of a prototype called Super Zipper that Chance Rides never built as far as I know. It was twice as high as the current models in use now and featured twice the number of ride vehicles too. Does anyone on here know more about either of these rides?

Larson built something like this 5 years ago, not sure if they ever got any buyers or not.

Anyone want to mention the cancelled universal permanent horror ride?

I can't find any information on this. Care to elaborate?

It was going to be a dark ride featuring the works of Stephen King where MIB is now. It would actually feature a fake ending ala Revenge of the Mummy.

"Featuring scenes from several of King's stories, including The Shining and It, this dark ride would have featured a false ending. Riders would approach an unload platform and hear a spiel, then the lights would flicker, and a river of blood would pour from the doors at "unload" platform (a la The Shining). Pennywise the Dancing Clown would then emerge from the control booth to attack the riders, who would narrowly escape as their vehicle lunged forward."

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201312/3813/