TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

One Dead on Chinese Top Spin Accident

You can see the restraint is completely unlocked in the video. I'm not sure where this debate is coming from. It's quick but as the vehicle flips there's a shoulder harness on the right side of the vehicle that is wide open, presumably the seat this man was in.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is a typo as it is awfully similar to the quote from this article the Mirror posted about another flat ride fatality just a few days ago: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/theme-park-horror-teen-crushed-7392575

I agree, the last three paragraphs are identical in both articles. The standing 19-year-old rider was the fatality on the pirate-ship ride, not on this Top Spin-style ride.

If the shoulder harness was put down and locked, there is no way the man could have been standing. This is likely a lost in translation moment. Restraints, if used properly, prevent riders from standing. The only way he could be standing is if the ride op didn't lock the restraint or his particular restraint was faulty. In this case, the management of the park would have some degree of fault for the accident. Safety is a joint effort between park guests and park employees (from the management to the ride ops). The only way for a rider to be standing is for the ride op to leave the restraint unlocked or for the restraint to fail due to a lack of maintaining the ride. In short, if the restraint is working or used properly, it is impossible for a rider to stand. If ride op fails to push a restraint down far enough and a rider stands, both the park and rider are equally at fault. Let's wait and see what comes out in this before we make any judgement. A locked shoulder harness makes it impossible to stand unless the rider is of a size that enables them to slip out from under it. Even a simple lap bar that is pushed all the way down on a coaster will prevent a rider from standing. The rider may be innocent and the ride may have had some problem.

Even if the restraint were to fail, you'd think they would have had a redundant belt connecting to the restraint and the front of the seat? But, since it is a Chinese manufactured ride, I guess they skipped the back up safety features. It's a horrible incident and it's quite surprising that they caught it on video as if the one filming it knew something like this was going to happen.

A lot of Chinese made roller coasters that have shoulder harnesses also have seat belts that are wrapped around the harness for extra protection. I have also seen these on the fake top spin rides. Restraint failure does happen, but it is very rare. I have taken about 7500 rides on 995 different coasters and have experienced restraint failure on the coasters about four times in 7500 rides. It happened last year north of Beijing on a Golden Horse spinning coaster. I think on the fake top spin rides, the restraints lock all at one time. His opened and the others did not.

Yep, still no desire to go to China.

Can't wait for that time when the pirates finally eat the tourists in Shangahi Disneyland, just like Ian Malcolm predicted.

"The Circle of Life."

I am sorry if this is real, but it looks fake. If you look, the harness opens in a different place to where the man fell, and the man falling looks like a still image, superimposed on, as he does not change position at all, his arms or legs don't move at all. Also, there rides are not massively popular, and people hardly ever gather around it, never mind film it!

Sorry if it real, but it looks fake.

I am sorry if this is real, but it looks fake. If you look, the harness opens in a different place to where the man fell, and the man falling looks like a still image, superimposed on, as he does not change position at all, his arms or legs don't move at all. Also, there rides are not massively popular, and people hardly ever gather around it, never mind film it!

Sorry if it real, but it looks fake.

image.gif.de12cd7b862a99cb5c686c3f430ab5f9.gif

• 11 months later...
I see most of the links are from British media.

They have a real hardon for theme park accidents since The Smiler.

Now the Australian media is picking it up too. They've been reporting everything about theme parks after the dreamworld accident too.

But that video horrible

Although the link I posted was from a British paper since it was first one that came up, the news actually came to my attention by way of the Korean media but seemed a little pointless to link that one when I could find an English copy, so it is getting attention in places that aren't as focused on theme park accidents.