TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Great Places with Rides, But No Roller Coasters

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Air and Space Museum in Kalamazoo, Michigan. They have a Zamperla balloon ride, motion simulators, and my favourite, a plane simulator where you have a joystick and control the movements, and you can make it go upside down and spin like crazy. One of the best places ever!

Since this is a separate gate attraction in a park that only features one coaster, I think I'm safe to mention - Coney Island at Luna Park in Sydney!

It's an indoor facility that features a funhouse, old school wooden slides, an awesome rotor ride and more. Most everything in there would never be built today with H&S rules being what they are, but a couple of bumps and bruises are totally worth an afternoon in there.

2072919157_lunapark.jpg.9918d648740f71d78b3b74c3c4307fcd.jpg

Playland Not at the Beach In Oakland, CA, was an absolute blast. Very unique collection of carnival memorabilia, games, and all you can play pinball!

Along similar lines, Musee Mechanique in San Fransisco, full of unusual vintage (as in, the early 1900s) arcade machines--and free admission to boot!

In terms of just pinball, the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas is always a fun alternative to the strip!

I believe all of the WonderWorks museum's fit into this category! They mostly cater to a younger audience but some of the exhibits/rides are really fun. I've been to the locations in Pigeon Forge and Panama City.

The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago is giant and features some really cool exhibits and a few motion simulators.

Per my research, one type of location with rides that I find interesting are the ones with a legit steam train and a legit carousel, but no roller coasters. They tend to have a lot of traits of amusement parks, but with lower crowds and ticket prices. I know of at least 20 of these places within the English-speaking world and have attached them to this post below. If you like parks and don't mind if there aren't any coasters, you may be interested in visiting these places (if you haven't already, of course).

1481972647_AttractionRankings(RailroadsampCarousels).thumb.png.633f38063673771520b671af05f27619.png

The one suggestion in this that hasn't come up are zoos. Off the top of my head:

-Toledo Zoo has two carousels and a CP Huntington Train

-Cleveland Metroparks Zoo has a carousel and CP Huntington

-Detroit has a set of trains built by Chrysler in the 50s, carousel, 4D theater, and simulator attraction

-Cincinnati has a train, carousel, and 4D theater/simulator.

-Balboa Park and the San Diego Zoo have a train, 4D theater, and Von Roll skyride

-Dallas Zoo has a weird one of a kind monorail and a carousel

I believe all of the WonderWorks museum's fit into this category! They mostly cater to a younger audience but some of the exhibits/rides are really fun.

The location inside the Destiny USA mall in Syracuse has one of my favorite ropes courses.

• 7 months later...

I know i am late on this one but i would have to say Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas has awesome rides. Clifton Hill in Canada is pretty awesome too. That playhouse/funhouse museum looks awesome by the way wish i had a place like that by me. Reminds me of a cool edgy DZ Discovery Zone. Also i do live in Chicago so i could go to Navy Pier anytime and while its a neat place sometimes i wish they install thrill rides. Doesnt have to be a coaster but something like an adult sized drop tower and a Sky Scraper. A few rides over the water kind of like Indiana Beach. Something like that. I mean i doubt it will happen but its always nice to dream.

^ No worries on being "late" ... this is a great thread to bump!

Recently on my radar, but yet to visit: Eldridge Park in Elmira, NY has a set of recently-restored Flyers that is *apparently*, by far, the second-best set anywhere (after you-know-where). There's also a fantastic 19th C. carousel with ring feeder (but it only feeds one ring per ride), and a Mark Twain-themed putt putt course that looks very nice.

I know i am late on this one but i would have to say Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas has awesome rides. Clifton Hill in Canada is pretty awesome too. That playhouse/funhouse museum looks awesome by the way wish i had a place like that by me. Reminds me of a cool edgy DZ Discovery Zone. Also i do live in Chicago so i could go to Navy Pier anytime and while its a neat place sometimes i wish they install thrill rides. Doesnt have to be a coaster but something like an adult sized drop tower and a Sky Scraper. A few rides over the water kind of like Indiana Beach. Something like that. I mean i doubt it will happen but its always nice to dream.

That's an interesting idea regarding Navy Pier. Don't think it'll ever happen, but it's a cool idea on paper at least.

Oh, RB. It doesn't show it in the video, but there is a section where the boat does a series of "jumps" and throws you out of your seat. So technically speaking, it is ejector airtime.

I'm pretty sure you've you gotten some ejector "Airtime" during your college snowboarding lessons too, huh buddy?