TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Great Places with Rides, But No Roller Coasters

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite like the Huntsville Space Center. Visited it a few times as a kid, and really want to go back. It has a motion simulator, an outdoor Space Shot, a Gravitron, and I think a 5D theater, along with a plethora of interactive exhibits and the iMAX theaters.

Zero Gravity Thrill Park in Tx has a SCAD tower. Terror-dactyl at Cave of the Winds in Colorado. Moses Mabhida stadium jump in S.Africa.

Heritage Park in Calgary has a vintage midway setup with one of only two operating Caterpillar rides left in the world.

Great thread!

I quite like the Huntsville Space Center. Visited it a few times as a kid, and really want to go back. It has a motion simulator, an outdoor Space Shot, a Gravitron, and I think a 5D theater, along with a plethora of interactive exhibits and the iMAX theaters.

I visited back in 2012 when I was on tour with a show. We had a weekend in Huntsville and decided it'd be way more fun than sitting in the hotel or wandering the mall. It's not as cool as Cape Canaveral and it sure has its share of cheese but it's still a fun way to waste a day. The exhibits are incredible and the movies are excellent, as well. On the amusement side of things, though, it was pretty weak aside from the space shot. Being launched directly next to an actual Saturn V rocket is pretty kickass.

I visited back in 2012 when I was on tour with a show. We had a weekend in Huntsville and decided it'd be way more fun than sitting in the hotel or wandering the mall. It's not as cool as Cape Canaveral and it sure has its share of cheese but it's still a fun way to waste a day. The exhibits are incredible and the movies are excellent, as well. On the amusement side of things, though, it was pretty weak aside from the space shot. Being launched directly next to an actual Saturn V rocket is pretty kickass.

my exact feelings on it too - especially the space shot!

(my Ex lived in Huntsville, and i went to visit there and we spend the day, and then went to see Episode 1 in IMAX with the 501st in attendance there).

19_17A.JPG.1a115353d1be2acd0ce4ea50321afe2f.JPG

14_12A.JPG.1969f5ac874882759f3ced07f36f78d7.JPG

and I even got to try on a helmet!

1106668545_bertluvshimsomestormtrooper.JPG.292a627cb6621cb9de936c3ee54abe79.JPG

one of my favorite pics -- bert luvs him some stormtrooper

I haven't been yet, but there is the Carnival Museum that just opened last year in Brantford, Ontario. They have a few operating vintage rides such as a carousel and a couple other rides. They also have memorabilia from many past carnival operators including Conklin Shows. I plan on visiting there this summer and hopefully creating a miniature trip report to share here.

Funland in Rehoboth Beach

That's interesting because not more than a week or two ago I added that to one of my spreadsheets, as it has a legit old timey carousel.

The only thing remotely negative about these non-roller coaster places is that talking about them makes me feel like a dirty hipster.

"My favorite park without roller coasters is this one. You've probably never heard of it." *adjusts hipster glasses* lol

Funland also has a tremendous old-school Haunted Mansion. The park as a whole is really nice. Everything is in immaculate shape all the time and prices are incredibly reasonable. It's a family run business and it really shows. It's like night and day when compared to the parks an hour south in Ocean City.

I never got to visit it, but pre-flood Bushkill Park seems like the kind of place that would have made this list. No coaster to speak of (outside of a vintage powered kiddie ride), but with Knoebels-y traits like a ring carousel, Lusse Auto Skooters, and classic rare attractions like a whip, Pretzel dark ride and even a funhouse with a functioning barrel! Pity it got wiped out in 2004.

A fun place to visit if you're in the Cedar Point area is Put In Bay on South Bass Island. There are several ferry lines that go there. There is a really cool old 1917 merry go round on the strip. The strip is really nothing more than a crazy party town of bars after bars in old time buildings. Also of note is Perry's Monument, a 350+ foot observation tower built in 1912.

255598900_PutinBayOH0798_001A(1).jpg.32faa91f593badcf05e8d8f182e7518f.jpg

Kimberley's carousel photo

perrys.JPG.c5471a4d60c885f51a7eb2c3faa7b2f8.JPG

national park service photo

1551464423_perrysstairway-505x353.jpg.a2b89763bc1676668ed85527a569a524.jpg

construction in 1912. kinda reminds me of a coaster. ntl park svc photo

^ Seconded. City Museum is the greatest playground.

Also, Navy Pier. The Ferris wheel alone is worth it, but they have restaurants, shopping, a museum, and the Crystal Gardens are pretty cool too. It's an amusement park at its heart, but it's much more than that, and a must see when you're in Chicago.

Alton towers has turned into the opposite of this topic! Rollercoasters but no rides.

... Really? Did Ripsaw, the Blade, Nemesis Sub-Terra, Submission, the Enterprise and many more get removed??

(I know Submission and Enterprise's removal was rumoured, but other than that...)

I second this! Loved the space shot when I went! Gives better airtime than a lot of coasters.

Alton towers has turned into the opposite of this topic! Rollercoasters but no rides.

... Really? Did Ripsaw, the Blade, Nemesis Sub-Terra, Submission, the Enterprise and many more get removed??

(I know Submission and Enterprise's removal was rumoured, but other than that... *emphasis on WAS*)

While they're aren't any "rides" there, I am a big fan of the Smithsonian museums in Washington, D.C.--particularly Air & Space. Cape Canaveral in Florida is also a lot of fun.