TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worst Flat Ride Aesthetics

What is the worst flat ride appearnace you've seen? This can include the colour scheme, faded backgrounds/back drops, the lighting systems, ripped canvas, and so on. This ride can be one you've either seen in person or online. Be sure to post a photo below!

The worst Tilt-A-Whirl paint scheme would have to be the one pictured below! The dark colour scheme and the stripes just doesn’t look good or attractive on a midway, especially for a Tilt-A-Whirl which is the best ride on the midway in my opinion!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For myself, I don't think there's any "Worst Flat Ride Aesthetics" I can remember.

What I do remember, is the disappointingly short cycle of the Star Flyer at Nagashima Spaland

in Japan. I think it was less than a minute, but when we hit the top of the tower, we suddenly started

descending! I don't even remember getting a full turn at the top, before we were coming down.

Very short ride = very disappointing.

(EDIT: I realize this is mostly all about how a flat ride "looks". But I figure how a flat ride rides, is also part of the

"aesthetics" no? Yes?)

139746934_ResizeofIMG_2398.JPG.3cff7ec9666edd0c90843afadd2f7e96.JPG

Shortest - ride cycle - ever. TPR 2013 Japan Tour.

(EDIT: I realize this is mostly all about how a flat ride "looks". But I figure how a flat ride rides, is also part of the "aesthetics" no? Yes?)

I suppose it could especially rides that are not properly maintained or offer really short ride cycles.

What I do remember, is the disappointingly short cycle of the Star Flyer at Nagashima Spaland

in Japan.

That's odd. Last year I got a decent ride time on it! It's not a particularly tall Starflyer but it still yoyo-ed at least twice. That thing has some speed to it, too. It seemed to spin quicker than all of the other Starflyers I've ridden which sure didn't help my catatonia-inducing fear of those rides.

Speaking of catatonia-inducing fear, you guys should have seen me ride the 400-footer at SFOT. I'm pretty sure it gave me PTSD.

in Japan.

That's odd. Last year I got a decent ride time on it! It's not a particularly tall Starflyer but it still yoyo-ed at least twice. That thing has some speed to it, too. It seemed to spin quicker than all of the other Starflyers I've ridden which sure didn't help my catatonia-inducing fear of those rides.

Speaking of catatonia-inducing fear, you guys should have seen me ride the 400-footer at SFOT. I'm pretty sure it gave me PTSD.

It must have been "one of those days," when we were there. I was expecting the cycle to be way longer than it was. Even my partner was

surprised, that I showed up back where he was sitting, so soon!

Apart from this... yeah, Conneaut Lake . Definitely.

The Huss Jump that appeared at the Puyallup Fair (Now Washington State Fair) had an extremely faded and weathered backdrop in this video from 2011! It looks like a great performing ride except the background unfortunately doesn't compliment it. Does anyone know when this Huss Jump last operated and where it is now? It's a shame there weren't more of them produced and on the midway!

Raging Seas at Darien Lake towards the end of its life, it looked like was having a lot of downtime and having some of the boats SBNO. The ride originally had a canopy on top of and the boats had sails, but over time the canopy and boat sails were removed from the ride.

Raging Seas at Darien Lake towards the end of its life, it looked like was having a lot of downtime and having some of the boats SBNO. The ride originally had a canopy on top of and the boats had sails, but over time the canopy and boat sails were removed from the ride.

Did Raging Seas look like it does in the photo below nearing the end of the it's life at the park? It does look quite less of once it once was looking at older photos. It's kind of a shame when ride owners remove a canopy of a ride that is intended to have a canopy. At least they were able to maintain the lights according to the photo below.

^It looked a lot worse than that. The tarp in the center was removed, and the rusty arms were left showing. Most of the lights burned out on the boats and scenery pieces, and the queue railings and building were falling apart. It's a shame they let it go, because those Mack Sea Storms are beautiful rides, and I preferred it to the Mack Matterhorn that was saved.

It's not the only thing DL has left to rot over the years. Only until recently have they begun replacing/refurbishing the flat rides under Herschend and Premier. I won't totally buy into their rehabs until Ride of Steel isn't pink anymore.

I would also have to say that many traveling fun houses and ghost trains aren't that great as many of the props, effects, and mechanical moving parts don't work. But, the artwork can be some of the greatest on these not so great fun houses.

The Cuckoo Haus fun house that comes to my local fair is really broken as the moving barrels leading up the stairs as you enter don't move, the moving platforms don't move, and the turn table on the top floor doesn't spin. But, luckily the rotating barrel spins at the end most of the time when an perator is present. But, like I've said, it does have some of the best artwork for a Cuckoo Haus fun house!

12019845_437276106458365_8147275653169175691_n.jpg?oh=335cb05f76c0583a1ed60cb3c4f9b883&oe=572972E3

Another nice looking fun house on the outside, but non-functional on the inside is North American Midway's Rock N Roll fun house that comes to the Ex in Toronto. Once you go inside, the interior appearance is quite awful as all there is inside are scratched mirrors, a broken TV, and flashing strobe lights. Also, all the moving components (including the floor rollers) are non-operational. As for the rotating barrel at the end, I can't ever remember it functioning during the past nine years that I've been going. Sometime within the past few years, they've decided to put a black mat over it so that way it doesn't disappoint riders.

hqdefault.jpg

Now, as for the Haunted Mansion that comes to The Ex in Toronto, it seems to me that the ride experience keeps on getting more boring each and every year! When I had rode it back in August, there were no moving parts or sound effects working. So, it was just a quiet ride in the dark! But, one thing that is great about the Haunted Mansion is it's exterior design, along with the external sound as you're waiting to board or walking by!

Has anyone else been on any other really bad fun houses at their local fair?

Welcome to what should really be the Conneaut Lake appreciation thread.

I would have to agree with that...

1902426052_Cedar_Point_Labor_Day_2010065.jpg.960339d84c6fb13c2fdf567cf244e09e.jpg

No one was hurt during the making of this photo (I don't think).

1421323719_Cedar_Point_Labor_Day_2010072.jpg.222e314600a4821ce8c6489cc734150c.jpg

This Trabant has to be one of the ugliest...and this is coming from someone who's favorite color is purple!

659133502_Picture050.jpg.baf124d95d5f69d06412c69e6312b2b9.jpg

Skooters they are not...

969603426_Picture043.jpg.f7809b6a16aa26fe9475d808f15ebe96.jpg

You want theming? Go to Universal.

Just going to defend Conneaut Lake Park here and say the park itself is actually beautiful and they have great rare rides. The park may not have the money to keep everything looking great but the public trustees who own the park (as well as the community) are crazy passionate and committed to the park. I love the place!

As for the thread topic, this isn't a particular example but I hate when a permanent park with permanent rides surrounds said rides in temporary fencing/barricades or chain link fencing.

....As for the thread topic, this isn't a particular example but I hate when a permanent park with permanent rides surrounds said rides in temporary fencing/barricades or chain link fencing.

That's what disappoints me about Playland in Vancouver! Most of the flat rides look like they've been just set up,

and will be leaving, eventually. Of course they never do, but you wouldn't know that by looking at some of them.

I must admit, they have done some "landscaping" around the place, but it's not really a lot to make a real visual difference.

IMG_4514.JPG.db5cdc0c237c6e7f854325635291942e.JPG

This is around AtmosFEAR. It helps define the queue area, but that's it.

^Exactly. I know smaller parks have tight budgets but nice fencing can't be that expensive. I mean Conneaut Lake Park has all wooden fencing and it looks great and we know they have no money and the property is a mess overall.

I just feel like any park that can afford permanent rides should go for the next option above temporary fencing for their queues and ride areas.

Of the rides I have seen with my own eyes, my vote goes to the Mondial Roll Over that was at Tusenfryd in 2004-2007. I believe it was a trailer mounted ride, hideously ugly colours and a fairground style lighting package that was rather unneccessary as Tusenfryd is never open after dark any way. The whole ride just looked really cheap, was not very pleasent to ride, and if me memory serves me right it made some rather awful noises as well. So glad they removed it after just a couple of years.

Edited by viking86

Just going to defend Conneaut Lake Park here and say the park itself is actually beautiful and they have great rare rides. The park may not have the money to keep everything looking great but the public trustees who own the park (as well as the community) are crazy passionate and committed to the park. I love the place!

As for the thread topic, this isn't a particular example but I hate when a permanent park with permanent rides surrounds said rides in temporary fencing/barricades or chain link fencing.

Here are some dressed-up photos that actually make this hot mess of a park look pretty awesome.

Enjoy!

925154713_Cedar_Point_Labor_Day_2010060.jpg.30ba6823535b376e922e7710caa9ec1d.jpg

Random burned-out buildings are always cool.

808594144_Cedar_Point_Labor_Day_2010086.jpg.b278dbe5c1aa17a7a200dd95429d5082.jpg

Roll-O-Plane that is now long gone.

1273037483_Cedar_Point_Labor_Day_2010022.jpg.9139d3a1d966f43d16a7a4034bc40fad.jpg

A salute to the now deceased Chance Toboggan.

1565942218_Cedar_Point_Labor_Day_2010047.jpg.1dbd1a6b3d36f6da78c668df4d058b4d.jpg

Devil's Den dressed in hot neon

1454588369_Cedar_Point_Labor_Day_2010145.jpg.45b2d57e261686bd65e359dca73a0e87.jpg

Sexy-looking Flying Scooters

I would have to say that the Wild Bull that operated at Carowinds from 1979-1998 had possibly the worst theming for a Bayern Kurve ride. They could have done so much more with it than just having cut-out figurines in the center of the ride. Taft Broadcasting was usually great with the theming of their rides. Clearly this wasn't the case with this Bayern Kurve.

Photo Credit: Carowinds: The Early Years