TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Coaster Layout

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from being one of the roughest i've been on, ninja does have a really great layout.

I completely agree with this. It has nearly the perfect layout for a looper and the butterfly loop is so disorienting. I would love to see more of those on coasters.

I honestly don't find Ninja rough at all anymore and think it is extremely underrated. It isn't smooth, but it doesn't really hurt with the Arrow trains in my opinion.

When did you last ride it?

Truth. Ninja is great stuff.

Think I have to give another vote to the Batman clones, it's amazing how much action is packed into a relatively small space.

American Thunder at SFSTL. I like the twisted, smooth track. There's not a single straight part except the lift and brakes

That is another good candidate. I loved Thunderbird @ PowerPark, which American Thunder is a clone of.

If you need to put an Arrow Looper train on a coaster to make it smoother then that really speaks volumes about the horrific trains it must have been running before.

Arrow trains run better on Ninja than most Arrow coasters from my experience (not including Tennessee Tornado of course!).

Interesting in this depiction that the tunnels look like a hollowed out tree log. Was that the original intent versus just plopping in the drainage piping?

But I agree, MF does have one of the best layouts of a coaster.

Others that I would give nods for their great layouts (off the top of my head):

Alpengeist

Maverick

The Beast

Diamondback

Magnum

Tatsu

Stormrunner

Skyrush

El Toro

Nitro

Montu

Kraken

Nitro

I-305

Lightning Racer

Bizarro/Superman (SFNE)

Capture.JPG.70f5b24798b40b9f7d8f3fc1d82da150.JPG

Take the log tunnel?

Millennium Force. The future is still riding on it. The haters are still hating on it but as far as I'm concerned it's the best coaster in America.

Again sir, this is one of the many reasons why you're one of the few people on this site who I wouldn't mind sitting down and having a beer with.

MF's layout is beautiful, but not really diverse or exciting in its offering. It's one of my favorites due to height and speed, but not so much layout.

Besides Superman at SFNE like I already mentioned, I do want to also give nods to the marvels that are Boulder Dash and Voyage. Boulder Dash's lineup is amazing due to how it hugs terrain, consistently picks up speed as it rips through the course, and the layout is basically two long lines of double up and downs. Voyage gets a mention due to its insane length, wealth of different elements, and just like Boulder Dash it gets faster as it continues through the course.

Millennium Force. The future is still riding on it. The haters are still hating on it but as far as I'm concerned it's the best coaster in America.

Again sir, this is one of the many reasons why you're one of the few people on this site who I wouldn't mind sitting down and having a beer with.

I'm with ^ on Millennium Force. It's not the tallest, fastest, or most "holy shit!" anymore (but it's still notably close for being 16 years old) but that ride is almost perfect. If I just want to st down for a nice long, fast and smooth ride and just go back to realizing why I love this hobby and why I bothered to travel 800 miles from home and drop almost a grand, I'll ride Milennium Force at night.

At the end of the day (literally) riding Millennium Force just puts a huge smile on my face. And that's what it's all about.

I can attest to Millennium Force's layout being the "best" in my opinion. For someone like myself who loves height and speed along with a smooth ride, Millennium Force is essentially the perfect coaster. Others that come to mind are Storm Runner, Apollo's Chariot, El Toro, I305, Rougarou, Lightning Racer, Alpengeist, Dominator, Magnum XL 200, Nitro and Skyrush. These are just the coaster's I have ridden however. Expedition Ge Force, Goliath(WW), Fury 325, The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, and Superman at SFNE look like they are great coasters judging by their layouts alone. Maybe someday....

IMO. . . I do not think that MF has the "Best layout." Sure it may be one of the "Best Coasters" for height, speed, length, and smoothness. But in all reality, its layout is just banked turn, airtime hill, banked turn, airtime hill, banked turn, airtime hill... There are not that many different elements on MF for it's layout to be "the best."

Interesting in this depiction that the tunnels look like a hollowed out tree log. Was that the original intent versus just plopping in the drainage piping?

Actually, I believe that rendering is an old one from Badnitrus, which later became Virtual Image Productions. You can see that some other minor things are off in the layout, too. Before NL2 and such, those kinds of renderings were seriously impressive and drooled over by the coaster community.

IMO. . . I do not think that MF has the "Best layout." Sure it may be one of the "Best Coasters" for height, speed, length, and smoothness. But in all reality, its layout is just banked turn, airtime hill, banked turn, airtime hill, banked turn, airtime hill... There are not that many different elements on MF for it's layout to be "the best."

Best layout doesn't mean the most insane or varied, just the one with the best aesthetic flow and self interaction. MF is very balanced and aligned looking, it's overall just very well "laid out".

A ride like maverick may have more interesting individual elements, but the flow of the track layout is much more random and scattered looking..