TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Coaster Layout

Aside from being one of the roughest i've been on, ninja does have a really great layout.

I completely agree with this. It has nearly the perfect layout for a looper and the butterfly loop is so disorienting. I would love to see more of those on coasters.

I honestly don't find Ninja rough at all anymore and think it is extremely underrated. It isn't smooth, but it doesn't really hurt with the Arrow trains in my opinion.

When did you last ride it?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I've been on a lot of coasters, I usually pick the first few that come to mind in threads like this.

Diamondback: No, it doesn't give an incredibly forceful ride. However, the layout demonstrates a constant smooth sense of speed, height, and power. It also takes you out and away from the busy parts of the park. The little helix at the end, although practically forceless, is almost like a victory dance into the final splashdown and a pop of airtime into the brakes. It's a handsome looking ride as well, with it's staggered non-typical lift supports.

Banshee: Starting with the lift through the loop, to include the Banshee scream before the plunge, this coaster flows from element to element like a well thought out symphony. It uses its terrain well, with my favorite part being the plunge into the valley after the zero-g. With its unique color scheme and themed, but not overly themed, station and queue, this coaster is also very attractive especially at night.

Honorable mention to the beast, but I don't want to be redundant. King's Island definitely 'does it' for me.

I completely agree with this. It has nearly the perfect layout for a looper and the butterfly loop is so disorienting. I would love to see more of those on coasters.

I honestly don't find Ninja rough at all anymore and think it is extremely underrated. It isn't smooth, but it doesn't really hurt with the Arrow trains in my opinion.

September. . .

I recently rode Manhattan express last week and would take it over ninja any day.

I dunno, this thread feels redundant. Its just mostly people posting their favorite coasters, and we have 891 threads about that already.

Accurate.

Personally, I can probably give you the layout to any ride I've ever been on down to the second. Certain ones get stuck in my head - they're always the ones that feel fluid, like every element belongs exactly where it is at just the pace it's taken at. It's like a weird, nerdy appreciation for how artistic some designs can be.

That being said, I think the ones that stick with me most are:

Medusa: Steel Coaster - potentially the best-paced ride out there, period.

Expedition GeForce - perfect flow, except for the turnaround before the return run.

Millennium Force - also fantastic flow, especially in the overbanks on the island.

Wicked Cyclone - just a stunningly thought-out layout, every element fits perfectly.

The Voyage - mostly for that return run, from flying out of the triple-down tunnel to the brake run crossover.

GateKeeper - only for the first half, where every element is strung together so gracefully.

Alpengeist - that giant immelmann and the flow between the 0-G and corkscrew stick out.

Dominator - the way it wraps in on itself to get to the cobra roll, those turns flow together so well.

Alright, reached my nerd quota for the year.

September. . .

I recently rode Manhattan express last week and would take it over ninja any day.

That's so weird because I honestly have no problem with it at all. My head stays completely above the restraints so maybe that helps. I honestly don't find it rough, but I used to a few years ago. They should look into vest restraints to save the ride.

Drachen Fire - Secretly wishing that B&M would re-create this monster as it was originally planned. BGW was somewhat of a let down when I finally got the chance to visit, as this guy was not still standing...

Viper (SFMM) - Say what you will about the roughness, but this coaster's layout is perfection

Hulk - Twisty Goodness

Jet Star II's - I've got a sucker for these classics.

Kumba, the archtype B&M looper, is in my books the best element-to-element flowing coaster out there. Like Magnum, it's served as inspiration for a bunch of coasters that followed, yet still may be first in its class.

From a business perspective, the Vekoma boomerang & SLC. I have to give credit where it's due, these things have sold like hotcakes for a long time. Vekoma found a niche selling parks on small footprints, reasonable costs, & simple installation when other manufacturers were increasing coaster scale & sprawl. Ehh-to-UUGGHH riding experience aside, that's two very twisty layouts that parks bought into like there's no tomorrow.

Coney Island/Luna Park Cyclone! Hey, this is 1927 we're talking about, and granddad's layout has had plenty of knock-offs. A very solid (albeit rickety), jam-packed mix of hills and turnarounds. Just as it seems to be settling into a hilly formula later in the course, I love how it throws in that little speed bunny hop. The turnarounds bookend a visual-evenness that's very appealing, the prototypical design that you'd get if you asked someone to doodle you a good-looking wooden coaster.

At Kennywood, the woodies and Phantom all have great layouts. Phantom is the big one, but Pippin's conversion to Thunderbolt, Jack Rabbit's double-dip, and Racer's single track all deserve layout appreciation.

Nemesis -- one marvel of a layout, and perhaps my favorite. That whole ride has been given fantastic mythology and love by Alton Towers, but a big part of the legacy is that B&M just knocked it out of the park. Any time in RCT where the game would toss in construction height restrictions, I'd think to myself, "Ah nuts, well I hope they put the B&M invert in this scenario so I can just make Nemesis again."

And put me down for one more vote for RMC. I always love to see what kinds of new layouts and conversions they'll cook up next.

^I think Skyrush is great, too, as the layout really generates (often frightening) airtime.

I thoroughly agree, although I'll add with comical reflection that I remember the collective letdown when the layout was leaked. There were pages across multiple boards delivering the sentiment, "Oh no, surely that's not all it's going to be. No way. Hershey wouldn't build all this hype and then just build that. That leak is probably a red herring..."

Although the disparity in size between the first hill and the rest of the layout should have clued us into the notion that this ride would be bonkers, very few people thought so initially from a glance at the layout. The insanity throughout the layout of this coaster is why you can't always believe the polls .

I like a lot of the coasters mentioned already. Here are two more obscure coasters that I think for the bill pretty well.

Thunderation at Silver Dollar City has a great layout for a mine ride. The use of the terrain is awesome. I love the double helix into the tunnel followed by huge diving sweeping turn deeper down the valley.

Whizzer at SFGAm. Not a thrilling ride, but the ground hugging turns are what the ride is all about. The pacing is really good for a coaster geared towards little kids and families. It's hard to ride Whizzer without a huge grin on your face.

I think got one that nobody even mentioned on this thread yet, the Arrow corkscrew clones (more specifically Cedar Point's Corkscrew). That design is such a classic and Cedar Point has theirs with the corkscrew element over the walkway.

Hallo to all, at first, i do agree with most posts before, and i will bring here little bit of european breeze. I mostly appreciate out and back layouts (if we are talking layouts), but that is so simple said and also hills only, so better way for me, is when ride includes some straightly made elements or heading somewhere for a while, and actions happens on few places from different parts of ride (track does meet other track near). Spagheti bowls like Joker Jinx etc looks nice but for me is not desired coaster so much (althrough i like those). So lets mention here:

Blue Fire (Europa Park - Germany), and Helix (Liseberg - Sweden) and newly Taron at Phantasialand (there are at least three parallels, and still is bendy a lot), what do you think?

^I think Skyrush is great, too, as the layout really generates (often frightening) airtime.

I thoroughly agree, although I'll add with comical reflection that I remember the collective letdown when the layout was leaked. There were pages across multiple boards delivering the sentiment, "Oh no, surely that's not all it's going to be. No way. Hershey wouldn't build all this hype and then just build that. That leak is probably a red herring..."

Although the disparity in size between the first hill and the rest of the layout should have clued us into the notion that this ride would be bonkers, very few people thought so initially from a glance at the layout. The insanity throughout the layout of this coaster is why you can't always believe the polls .

Agree with the above! Skittish fits the bill pretty well for me as well.

Someone definitely called this. But favorite layout on a coaster I have ridden would have to be Maverick. I really like how fast paced and intense it is. I would like to ride I-305.

Really though, any RMC creation is right up my alley. They have great ejector air and fun elements. I haven't seen a disappointing RMC yet. Rode iron rattler and NTAG. Loved those as well. They just have elements that I prefer in a coaster.

Outlaw Run- everything flows alongside the terrain perfectly, dodging trees while delivering sustained speed and intensity.

Kumba- one of the most aesthetically pleasing rides ever made. Their decision to build terrain and landscape around the track was spot on.

Taron- I mean really. Just look at it.

Voyage- I love every inch of this handsome guy.

Boulder Dash-

* Lake Compounce- You should put like 29 hills in a row on the return run.

*CCI- Otay.

Best steel coaster layouts:

Millennium Force: After thinking a long time about this, I've decided that MF is the most beautiful looking steel coaster ever created. With its monolithic lift hill, gigantic airtime hills, and symmetrical overbanked turns, you just can't help but stare at it in awe. Also, while the pacing of the ride isn't the quickest in the world, it's SO good at keeping its speed through the entire ride. It doesn't ever feel slow, and that speed feeling is magnified by the openness of the trains. It's probably the most comfortably thrilling roller coaster in the world if that makes sense.

I agree completely. There really are so many beautifully designed coasters out there but I've always thought that Millennium Force's design and layout were flawless.

b3457e29f88719e531954791c192a8b0.jpg.4b42c2406a9b87a89cc56967b5fe3e21.jpg

The Smiler is quite impressive. Other honorable mentions for me are Wicked Cyclone and I-Speed

Very true!

I also think that indoor coasters like Rock n' Roller Coaster and the Space Mountains are always awesome, because they can fit so much track under one big roof!

I have seen this new generation multi looper on the Vekoma page for awhile. I love they layout but have they installed any at a park yet?

This coaster layout from Vekoma does look quite amazing but, I don't think its been installed anywhere yet!