TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

any tips for glasses wearing roller coaster rider?

ul9601

Right - I'm super short sighted so I have to wear glasses to see what's going on - Sure, I can leave the glasses off but that definitely diminishes the sensations which make riding coasters such a rush.

What do my fellow bespectacled coaster enthusiasts do?

At first I either left the glasses off before boarding or had them in cargo pants pocket. Then I started to wear MX goggles over the top of the glasses (got the funny looks without fail ).This worked well, on Millennium Force, Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster and Mean Streak at Cedar Point and a whole bunch of other coasters elsewhere. Except that I wasn't allowed to do that at the Knott's Berry Farm.

Any experience at certain parks and coasters where one was not allowed to wear glasses (or have any items in secure pockets on person - such as zipped pockets on cargo pants etc)?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just make sure you have a glasses strap that is tight. Maybe even carry a spare or two with you just in case. Some parks require them. You'll find a few parks (Knott's Berry Farm comes to mind) that won't let you wear glasses on certain rides at all, even with a strap. Just be prepared for that. And if you run into a park that does not allow glasses at all, please don't argue with the ride ops. Don't be "that guy." All you'll be doing at that point is holding up dispatches and annoying the staff.

Hey thanks - Don't worry, I hate people who make a scene!

Once I get the list of theme parks I'm planning to visit, I'll come back and get more specific feedback on them re: this.

I'd better get straps just in case then, although I think MX goggles would be just as good if not better.

Cheers,

Sam

Pretty much any strap will work. Sometimes the ones that tighten in the back are most common, like this one:

You can pick them up online for next to nothing. So grab a couple of them just in case.

The rule of thumb for the most part is just to make sure you can move your head around and the glasses aren't loose. There won't be many parks you'll run into that won't allow them, but it has been known to happen.

^ Right, but you're not as traveled as we are, and there are absolutely parks that will not allow them. I know at least Knott's Berry Farm on some rides (Xcelerator and Silver Bullet I believe) and I know we ran into at least one or two parks last year during our travels that didn't allow them, but I'm not sure which ones off hand.

Ah the fun world of glasses on rides.

Just to chime in, I always use straps like Robb showed- there are a few parks that sell them with branding as a nice souvenir, I know I've stocked up at Carowinds and Cedar Point in the past. Note that some straps (ones that are all fabric) will get ruined if they get too wet, so it can help to take them off on water rides. I also try to get glasses I know will stay on well- better for the strap to be back up than the only thing keeping them on, and note it is possible to get glasses whose arms are too thin for straps to be effective.

Usually there's no issue at all with glasses at Six Flags parks, though Kingda Ka and probably X2 require straps. Cedar Fair tends to be more uptight, though only on certain rides (Maverick, Dragster) and it can always vary (I was fine last year at Knott's with strap, sometimes it's required for I305 but other times I rode without (not recommended!)). Down here at Busch Gardens it's a requirement for Falcon's Fury and I believe Cheetah Hunt, and it's a requirement on Tempesto up in Williamsburg.

Overseas it can vary as well- quite a few tall rides in Japan didn't allow glasses, even with a strap- Blue Fall (and a smaller Intamin drop tower now that I think of it), the Togo Coaster at Sea Paradise, Vanish Point, White Cyclone, and Steel Dragon come to mind, and of course nearly everything at Fuji-Q.

thanks all.

what about items on person - what are the requirements in general to have phones, wallets, hats on person etc etc?

is it allowed to have them on board or leave them prior to boarding, generally speaking?

do pardon my ignorance as it has been almost ten years since my last ride...

thanks all.

what about items on person - what are the requirements in general to have phones, wallets, hats on person etc etc?

is it allowed to have them on board or leave them prior to boarding, generally speaking?

I'd imagine if you're phones in a zipped/buttoned/sealed pocket, they'd let you... However, be careful where you store it.

P

image.thumb.jpeg.eeccb0e4d4f32a5409fc2b4270bf4d87.jpeg

This was a friend's phone after it had been in their pocket on a coaster last year.

thanks all.

I'd imagine if you're phones in a zipped/buttoned/sealed pocket, they'd let you... However, be careful where you store it.

P

[attachment=0]image.jpeg[/attachment]

That's some serious damage!