TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

La Ronde Discussion Thread

This thing is almost definitely headed for the scrap yard. I'd imagine that finding spare parts for it is problematic, the ride usually opens late (though what doesn't at La Ronde?) and demand for it seems very low. Then again maybe they'll just leave it there and let it turn into a giant, crumbling eyesore like they do with everything else...

I suppose La Ronde could have B&M come in and refurbish Cobra even though it is a 28 year old Intamin stand-up coaster (which operated at Skara Sommarland from 1989-1994 until arriving at La Ronde in 1995). But, I don't see La Ronde doing so as it would be quite expensive to have B&M to come in and install custom trains and rework the coaster as it is quite aged and not in great condition. It would be sad to see Canada's now only stand-up coaster get removed but, if that's the case then that means an end of an era of stand-up coasters in Canada as SkyRider was relocated to Cavallino Matto after closing in late 2014. Luckily, the Togo creation was relocated and has been thrilling many who visit Cavallino Matto in Italy. I wonder if Cobra would be relocated again if it were removed from La Ronde?

^Every single one of your posts sounds like an overly thought out Wikipedia article or park biography. It's astounding.

Well, I wouldn't say every post but, I suppose I do tend to put great detail into the majority of my posts. I should really try to reduce the content and get to the point.

• 1 month later...
^Every single one of your posts sounds like an overly thought out Wikipedia article or park biography. It's astounding.

Well, I wouldn't say every post but, I suppose I do tend to put great detail into the majority of my posts. I should really try to reduce the content and get to the point.

Your points are fine. Estimated to be better than 95% of the contributor's posts.

If it still works, why not ship it somewhere else? Six Flags is opening two parks in China and there hasn't been a standup coaster in China at all. It's pure trash anywhere else but with a few fixes here and there, Cobra can find a new home in China at least for a few more years.

It could probably be a good coaster if it became a floorless like what Cedar Fair did to Mantis/Rougarou. Cobra has a fairly cool layout. Even though it's originally an Intamin/Giovanola, I'm sure that with a few tweaks it could become a floorless and it would be a whole lot better than it is right now as a stand-up.

If it still works, why not ship it somewhere else? Six Flags is opening two parks in China and there hasn't been a standup coaster in China at all. It's pure trash anywhere else but with a few fixes here and there, Cobra can find a new home in China at least for a few more years.

I believe that's a licensing deal. Six Flags won't actually be operating those parks.

PS: Cobra blows.

As for the Cobra, dismantling should take place in May. According to the latest rumors, it should be relocated to another park.

In the previous photo, we can notice the beginning of the work for the Titan. The location will be the same as the old Go-Karts track.

Do not forget that this is the 50th anniversary of the park so it is possible that there will be other announcements soon.

From a few days ago:

16835789_1836857743229229_4505668797157463637_o.jpg?oh=1439ad74617811c131789be6a27d1a05&oe=59371B5B

The admin on Xtreme La Ronde suggested demolition may begin in May but we can't tell for sure

As for the Cobra, dismantling should take place in May. According to the latest rumors, it should be relocated to another park.

In the previous photo, we can notice the beginning of the work for the Titan. The location will be the same as the old Go-Karts track.

Do not forget that this is the 50th anniversary of the park so it is possible that there will be other announcements soon.

• 2 months later...
According to the latest rumors, it should be relocated to another park.

Out of curiosity, where are these rumors coming from? I hope they're not true as Cobra is an absolutely miserable attraction and it really needs to be put out of it's misery.

I wonder if converting Cobra to a floorless was ever discussed. I know it's an Intamin model instead of a B&M, but there are similarities in the track and the conversions of Vortex and Mantis have been well received.

I wonder if converting Cobra to a floorless was ever discussed. I know it's an Intamin model instead of a B&M, but there are similarities in the track and the conversions of Vortex and Mantis have been well received.

I mean, it was a Giovanola design and some of those employees split to create B&M, so the designs are pretty similar. So I'm sure they could convert it if they really wanted to. But I see them replacing it with a new coaster of sorts. Maybe a new woodie or an S&S Freefly coaster. I could totally see them using the Total Mayhem name and paint scheme. I think it would look good next to Titan.

All this dissing Cobra... I mean, it's not a great ride and it's at La Ronde, so I can understand how easy a target it is. But for me, it was better than most of the B&M standup coasters I've been on. With the one exception of Riddler's (years ago). I really didn't find Cobra too bad, and rode it twice 2 summers ago. Meanwhile, I'll only do Georgia Scorcher once per visit. And would only do Mantis once per visit... and rode Chang one time with each of it's color schemes.

I also rode Batman a coaster of the same make at Astroworld (when it was called Batman (surprise!) and all white I believe) and enjoyed it more than the B&Ms stand-ups I rode (Chang, Iron Wolf*, Vortex, Mantis... and perhaps 1 or 2 more?)

*Iron Wolf was stellar in it's opening year, but yeah.. those stand-ups age quick and horribly.

All this dissing Cobra... I mean, it's not a great ride and it's at La Ronde, so I can understand how easy a target it is. But for me, it was better than most of the B&M standup coasters I've been on. With the one exception of Riddler's (years ago). I really didn't find Cobra too bad, and rode it twice 2 summers ago. Meanwhile, I'll only do Georgia Scorcher once per visit. And would only do Mantis once per visit... and rode Chang one time with each of it's color schemes.

I also rode Batman a coaster of the same make at Astroworld (when it was called Batman (surprise!) and all white I believe) and enjoyed it more than the B&Ms stand-ups I rode (Chang, Iron Wolf*, Vortex, Mantis... and perhaps 1 or 2 more?)

*Iron Wolf was stellar in it's opening year, but yeah.. those stand-ups age quick and horribly.

LUCKY! You rode Batman: The Escape at Six Flags Astroworld! The ride looked a little rough around the edges but the themeing looked actually pretty good.

I mean, it was a Giovanola design and some of those employees split to create B&M, so the designs are pretty similar. So I'm sure they could convert it if they really wanted to. But I see them replacing it with a new coaster of sorts. Maybe a new woodie or an S&S Freefly coaster. I could totally see them using the Total Mayhem name and paint scheme. I think it would look good next to Titan.

Would love to see a freefly at the park.

Would love to see a freefly at the park.

Same. If they DID remove Cobra, then there would be more than enough space for one. I mean, there is a long, skinny strip of land behind it so they could put one there, remove Cobra to open up the area and maybe have room for some smaller flats in the future. I'd also love to see them get a Sky Rocket II since they don't have a launch coaster. I wonder why the Sky Rocket II never caught on in more of the Six Flags parks. I mean it was a good model and it seems Six Flags will copy and paste a model at all of their parks.