TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

La Ronde Discussion Thread

Seemed a bit odd at first as the park already has a pendulum ride (Manitou), but as it became very weak over the years, having a more extreme version will be a cool addition.

I really want to know why corporate parks always screw up the ride programs on KMG Fireball rides. I was always under the impression that these rides sucked thanks to Dorney's version but the one in Wildwood is the best Frisbee ride I've ever ridden anywhere, ever, period.

Manitou is the original version of zamperla's Discovery ride. It used to swing past 90 degrees for the first 2 or 3 seasons. Then it was lowered to 90 degrees for a few seasons. Now it doesn't swing past 45 degrees..... It used to be awesome but now it's just a fun family ride. I've been complaining about La Ronde still calling Manitou a "thrill ride" for a few years now. Titan is making me really happy now ! Then can keep Manitou if they want. It's still a great ride, but it'S definitly not the "thrill ride" it used to be, and it has never been the thrill ride that Titan will be !

It's a nicely themed ride though....

This model is fucking amazing, too bad the one at SFOT always has 500 people waiting in line for it or I'd be on it more often. First one in Canada, eh?

First one in Canada, but they already have The Beast! I hear all these rave reviews about Discoverys but the KMG XXLs look so much better!

It will be like how SFNE has two boomerangs- one giant inverted one and one normal one. This addition makes so much sense for Six Flags.

I think I'll be making my first visit to the park tomorrow. I plan to get a Flash Pass, but noticed two of the non-kiddie coasters (Toboggan Nordique and Dragon) aren't included on the Flash Pass. How bad are their lines typically? I'm guessing the Toboggan gets pretty bad since it's a mouse.

I think I'll be making my first visit to the park tomorrow. I plan to get a Flash Pass, but noticed two of the non-kiddie coasters (Toboggan Nordique and Dragon) aren't included on the Flash Pass. How bad are their lines typically? I'm guessing the Toboggan gets pretty bad since it's a mouse.

Pretty bad..... at least 20 minutes for Dragon and 30 minutes for Toboggan Nordique. If you get a flash pass, instead of running to vampire or goliath in the morning and then wait 30 minutes for flats rides in the afternoon, start with the smaller rides in the morning. Nobody in lines.

Toboggan nordique

Disco-Ronde

Dragon

Demon (better in the morning, before the heat makes the brake slip, ending with a boring ride in the afternoon)

Phoenix

Pitoune (log flume)

Then use your flashpass for the coasters. You'll end up having a great day and going on a lot more rides than people without flashpass who try to do all the coasters early and end up waiting 30-40 minutes on each, before the 2nd trains are on the rides.

And i'll repeat it another time, try DEMON in the morning ! It really is an awesome ride but sometimes it fails to do it's flips, and most of the time it's in the end of the afternoon. In the morning it's the craziest flat ride at the park.

^ Thanks for the tips.

The park was crazy crowded. Once I got off the La Ronde exit from the bridge around 1:30 (I stopped at the Granby Zoo on the way), it took 45 minutes to get to a parking spot and then over an hour waiting at the front turnstiles. I didn't realize they had a second entrance in back, but next time I may try that gate instead. Once I got inside, I grabbed my Flash Pass and was able to get on things quickly.

Goliath was fantastic. I can't decide if this one or its namesake down in Georgia is my favorite B&M hyper. While there are larger ones, I find the larger ones are more graceful while both Goliaths keep their speed better and provide great air-time on all drops. I rode Batman backwards at Great Adventure last year and enjoyed the backwards train again on Vampire. The park had a great collection of flat rides, but I was short on time so I had to skip most of them. I only got to try Vertigo and Orbite. Both were quite good though.

Goliath and Le Monstre had 1 1/2 hour waits according to the attendant at the front. The other coasters on Flash Pass appeared to have half hour waits. I ended up having to wait 45 minutes for Dragon due to slow dispatches and had to skip Toboggan Nordique since that one had a long line and I didn't think it was worth waiting for.

• 4 weeks later...

So after 10 years in Canada, I am looking to finally visit La Ronde with my family in mid October (adding it to a trip to visit friends).

I have a couple of questions for the regulars.

1 At this time of year is it worth getting a flash pass? I think we are aiming for Sunday 16th. I usually pre book tickets ahead of time online (including whatever the Fast pass options are for a park). If it is supposed to be "quiet" at this time of year then I won't bother. I note that the ride ops for this park don't seem to be the most popular so would the Flash pass counteract that?

2 We are staying downtown at a hotel and will have no car with us. I have noticed a few people talk about using the Metro to get to the park. Is there a station nearby or is it Metro followed by bus/walk? The website wasn't fully clear to me so would appreciate the local take on it.

We are looking forward to it, I have been to Montreal a couple of times but have not had the time to visit the park until now.

• 3 weeks later...

Visted La Ronde at the weekend for the first time during trip to Montreal. I love the city (especially visiting people who live there as we got more of a feel for the city this time), thought La Ronde was "OK", mostly because it rained when we were there..and I mean RAINED....made me feel like I was back home in Scotland!

Park opened at 11am, no rides opened till 1pm.

We only had a short trip (due to having to get back to the airport)...so only rode Demon, Goliath, Ednor and Le Vampire. Not much else was open that I could see...it took them a while to get Le Monstre up and running..and that was as we were leaving.

Enjoyed Demon, Liked Goliath, Thought Ednor was going to be worse than expected...it was OK..and I much preferred it to "Flight Deck" at Canada's Wonderland.

Le Vampire???? Ermmm could someone explain to me why going backwards is a big deal!? I am sorry but I did not really find there to be much point to it. I find the thrill to be more enjoyable going "forwards" on B and M inverts. Oh well.

DId not take any photos...it was really that WET!! My wife kept her camera and phone covered the whole time! Hope to come back in the summer when it is a bit drier to get a better reflection on the park. I think Goliath will be even more fun without being pelted by rain the whole way round...and Vampire "forwards" has more appeal.

Don't give them a pass on opening everything 2 hours late and having miserable operations just because it was raining. It would be the same way on a beautiful sunny day. This park sucks something fierce and stands in stark contrast to the city of Montreal which is completely awesome.

Don't give them a pass on opening everything 2 hours late and having miserable operations just because it was raining. It would be the same way on a beautiful sunny day. This park sucks something fierce and stands in stark contrast to the city of Montreal which is completely awesome.

Coasterbill, we were surprised it took them so long to get some things up and running. I did have to roll my eyes at a few of the things that they did not open,even in the rain. With my 8 year old son in tow, a miniature train/monorail type thingy is always welcome and not a problem in wet weather surely! Seemingly so at La Ronde. It did not open at all in our time there! I am very cogniscent of safety concerns on the big rides, but thought they could have had a few more of the kid rides up and running.

My wife also commented that they seem to let some of the buildings fall into a rather "shabby" state, which the Cedar Fair parks (particularly my home one of Wonderland) do not seem to do.

I am glad we went, if only to get an idea of the place, and also I found Goliath as fun as I expected it to be. However, Vampire backwards??? Colour me unconvinced!

The city of Montreal itself? As you said...awesome place...and first time in a while when EVERYONE was ridiculously friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be in Montreal on Sunday, was thinking of stopping in from opening at 11 until 1pm since I'll be right nearby, just can't stay any longer then that. I know it's the last day the park is open so not sure how crowded it would be at opening. If I could get in a few rides I'd be happy, especially Goliath and Le monstre(coasterbills hilarious review of this entire park still made me want to check it out for myself lol) I'm not interested in the virtual reality on Goliath. Think this is possible?