TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

La Ronde Discussion Thread

How do I tell which is track 1 and which is track 2? Green/yellow and red/purple?

At the entrance of Monster, Parcours 1 = Track 1 (walk straight) and Parcours 2 = Track 2 (on your right). And I disagree, I like track 1 better!

When I visit La Ronde, should I attempt to speak the couple words of French I know? Or should I just speak in English? I can say "Bonjour" and "Merci," but not much else. I've heard they are rude if you don't attempt to speak French, and I've heard they are rude if you do attempt to speak French

I can get through most of my day w/out saying much to park employees, just curious what the etiquette is.

^As a customer-service employee (at a Subway though, not a theme park ) who's main language is french, I consider it very nice when anglophones try to speak french, and if they have difficulties I will switch to english without problem. Even if it's just Bonjour or Merci, believe me it counts. You did the effort and that's very nice of your part. However that's my POV, it may depend of the employee you speak to, but usually french-speaking employees are willing to help english-speaking peoples.

Also, talking about the rudeness of La Ronde's employees, it's still not perfect but I've seen a lot of improvement over the last two years, and the employees I talked to were a lot more polite and "seemed" to like their job more than previous years. It did not, sadly, improve much the operations of the ride, though.

When I visit La Ronde, should I attempt to speak the couple words of French I know? Or should I just speak in English? I can say "Bonjour" and "Merci," but not much else. I've heard they are rude if you don't attempt to speak French, and I've heard they are rude if you do attempt to speak French

I can get through most of my day w/out saying much to park employees, just curious what the etiquette is.

It's not supposed to be any different than visiting other non-English speaking countries. I visited different European countries this summer. I did not speak a single word of their native language and I was treated with respect. But yes, in Quebec, occasionally, you might get a negative reaction if you speak in English to someone. I wouldn't worry too much about it. La Ronde is a touristic attraction and many employees there would be glad to speak to you in English. Just stay in the downtown area and you'll be fine. If you encounter someone who doesn't want to speak to you in English, don't take it personally, just find someone else.

On my visits I used my limited French but I also made it clear I was American and not Canadian. I had heard the resentment from many in Quebec is towards English speaking Canadians.

Thanks for the input, guys! I'll go forward with my "Bonjour" and "Merci"s

Out of courtesy say Bonjour, but I can assure you that they will know you primarily speak English the second you finish. All tourist areas and especially Downtown is very English friendly. There is not much animosity today, especially from the 30 and under generation. I wouldn't go out of your way to proclaim your American though, no one cares and you might come across pompous. I would recommend visiting Old Montreal if you have the time. It has beautiful architecture, with stone streets and great restaurants.

^Thank you! Does the front gate AND rides both open at 11am? Need to plan my attack

If on the website it is stated that the park opens at 11am, then yes, it means both the front gate and rides open at 11am. However, if you really want to be the first to go on rides, I suggest you to be there at the front gate at 10am (an hour early) and stay in line. This year, they added tons of fences and the agents at the gate take their time searching each bag (we don't have metal detectors), so sometimes there's a long line up in the morning.

Monstre has one side open today, #1. Boomerang and Goliath are also down, Boomerang with train at base of 2nd lift. I like Le Monstre, it has some good kick. Super Menage was also fun, but the aesthetics of it and it's surroundings are downright depressing. Most of the park looks like that There is so much potential ... if the park were in the right hands.

I couldn't believe how intense the Batman clone is; perhaps it's the shorter train? I've ridden a bunch of those tons of times, never experienced that level of intensity.

Bummer not getting all the "credits." Man I really want to ride track 2 of Le Monstre!

Having fun but I'm so glad my home park is Great America. Although also a poorly run Six Flags... well, I have a lot to be grateful for!

Going back into to check out some more... Greener pastures at Storyland tomorrow!

Edited by AirMBTB

I stopped by the park yesterday. Goliath and Boomerang were down too. Makes for a less than great day when one of the premier coasters is down. That left Vampire as the only good coaster running. Got a front row ride and it made me a little woozy. Can't imagine the back row on this thing. Wow, it's intense.

This was my first ever solo trip and I got a chance to really observe people. Their is such a difference between enthusiasts and the GP. They were amazed at Ednor, like it was some new creation. I saw people daring their friends to go on it, while I was thinking this piece of junk has been cloned everywhere and I am getting the measly credit. After riding Monstre, the fellow beside me asked "wasn't that great?!". I smiled with a yes, but inside was thinking, no that was violently aweful. Monstre looks great though. RMC would have an awesome creation if they ever got a hold of this. I would predict a Medusa/Wicked Cyclone ride, due to its height and twisting layout.

As for the park, it is really run down more than I remember a few years ago. So many unused, worn buildings. Most coasters need paint. Cobwebs everywhere, especially in Dragons line. I guess I have been spoiled visiting so many other great parks, even other Six Flags, and my standards are much higher now.

I'm suprised that Goliath is down. That thing is usually always up and running. We have one of the best Batman clone, and yes, it's pretty intense. Sit at the last row on Goliath if you get the chance to go on it! Also, go on the single rider line to get on the first row.

ArgoZ, Monster was somewhat less violent with the older train and better, now it's almost unpleasant. They should convert it into RMC for the 50th anniversary (I really hope so...)

Ednor and Cobra are the unrideable coasters, just there for decoration. Goliath, Vampire and maybe Monster (especially if they convert it into RMC) are the highlights of this park.

^Man! I hope you at least get a ride on Goliath before you have to leave!

Not a big loss for me, I'm usually done with B&Ms after a ride or 2 (unless I'm with friends that want to ride more!). The 2nd track of Le Monstre being closed, now that was a big loss!

The ride got faster and faster each time I road it! It went from "good" to "holy cow this thing rocks!!" It got so awesome, I considered changing my plans and heading back to the park today.

Le Monstre has a wild design that seems to be amplified by the heavy PTCs. The track hardly has any true rough or bumpy spots, perhaps just the bottom of the 3rd drop. In my book, it's wild like a coaster should be. Bill Cobb would be proud. People were loving it; a couple ride ops also told me they liked it better with the new trains.

The teens in Canada seem much better behaved than their US counterparts, way less "acting out." People seem a little more laid back and less stressed in general. Interesting to see a female employee in the male restroom; it shouldn't be a big deal and it's nice to see it's not in Canada.

I stopped by the park yesterday. Goliath and Boomerang were down too. Makes for a less than great day when one of the premier coasters is down. That left Vampire as the only good coaster running. Got a front row ride and it made me a little woozy. Can't imagine the back row on this thing. Wow, it's intense.

This was my first ever solo trip and I got a chance to really observe people. Their is such a difference between enthusiasts and the GP. They were amazed at Ednor, like it was some new creation. I saw people daring their friends to go on it, while I was thinking this piece of junk has been cloned everywhere and I am getting the measly credit. After riding Monstre, the fellow beside me asked "wasn't that great?!". I smiled with a yes, but inside was thinking, no that was violently aweful. Monstre looks great though. RMC would have an awesome creation if they ever got a hold of this. I would predict a Medusa/Wicked Cyclone ride, due to its height and twisting layout.

As for the park, it is really run down more than I remember a few years ago. So many unused, worn buildings. Most coasters need paint. Cobwebs everywhere, especially in Dragons line. I guess I have been spoiled visiting so many other great parks, even other Six Flags, and my standards are much higher now.

I actually find the front row of Vampire to be more intense. Back row's more fun though!

The teens in Canada seem much better behaved than their US counterparts, way less "acting out."

That's interesting... The last time I was at Canada's Wonderland, it actually got to be a joke among the group of us that went how rampant the line jumping was! It was almost as if it WAS a sporting event there! I had to keep checking to make sure I wasn't at SFMM or SFGAdv...

Maybe it's just the French Canadians who are better behaved!

• 2 weeks later...

According to a local newspaper, La Ronde will be receiving a flat ride package consisting of a Larson Flying Scooters named Phoenix and Gravitor, a ride which promises to bring you soaring to new heights "in an ocean of sound and light". Finally, Le Vampire will have his trains switched backwards, although the news article didn't specify if it will stay backwards all season long.

I think Gravitor might be one of those rumored giant Zamperla Air Race, according to the description given by the news article. I guess we will find out tomorrow!

Source (in french): journalmetro.com/actualites/montreal/835122/des-nouveautes-a-la-ronde-en-2016/

acc80-venir-en-2016_750x375_v1.jpg.03b0a256940e5b49e96630de0d3a71f7.jpg

La Ronde's new rides

According to a local newspaper, La Ronde will be receiving a flat ride package consisting of a Larson Flying Scooters named Phoenix and Gravitor, a ride which promises to bring you soaring to new heights "in an ocean of sound and light".

An ocean of sound and light? Sweet, put an Air Race indoors and make it even better! I'm a firm believer that putting any flats indoors and adding lighting, fog, and sound effects make them instantly a billion times more awesome.

Well that's great news! The Flying Eagles, if we don't take account of the poor capacity, is a fun ride which will be a much needed addition for families at La Ronde. Vampire backward, I was expecting it to come to Montreal someday, so I can't wait to try it out! And the third ride, whatever it is... A new thrill ride, it's better than a slap in the face, right?

^Thought the same thing... Guess for the next two years I'll be heading to both parks... Flats in 2016, Ziz at CW and the 50th anniversary coaster at La Ronde (maybe?) for 2017.

Anyway,looks like I'll have to push that CP, HP/SFGAdv or SFGAm (Can't decide which one i plan to hit yet) trip back a few years... I'll be getting my fill of great flats (and POSSIBLY coasters) up north!

La Ronde in Montreal is set to bring guests exciting new adventures as it flips the trains on the iconic Vampire coaster to run backward, and adds two rides in an all-new section of the park: Avenue Aventure: Phoenix — a flying scooter ride that puts guests in control as they soar against the wind; and Gravitor — a fun adventure that lifts guests high above the ground as they turn around and around in an ocean of lights and sounds for a real dance party in the sky!

2016NewCapital_OneSheet1.thumb.jpg.8701a2c1ba86fdad5f319532504d052f.jpg

lr-ave-ka.thumb.jpg.2d3c3779a6a60711e1c749a26e088047.jpg

lrfr-vb-ka.thumb.jpg.d8e07b13f67f5693351914541565cb51.jpg

Edited by robbalvey