TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

La Ronde Discussion Thread

SFMM has Ninja (suspended), Batman The Ride (inverted), Deja Vu (inverted), and Tatsu (flyer). I've yet to hear one guest get them mixed up. True, they're different enough, but an SLC and B&M inverted are different enough, too, so I think this will work out OK.

Eric

No, they are too busy comparing Silver Bullet to Tatsu when visiting Knott's Berry Farm. The whole "inverted" thing goes right over their head when comparing it to Batman, but because Silver Bullet is red and yellow it is much more similar to Tatsu.

On topic, The SLC looks pretty nice for a Cedar Fair paint job.

The fact that the park will have two standard inverts doesn't really bother me. Parks have had multiple traditional looping coasters in their parks for years, and as the invert drops it's unique status (or gimick status) and falls into a common ride style it's okay to me for parks to have more than one.

The traditional sit-down coaster is the Original Recipe

The invert coaster is Extra Crispy

I don't know what design is the new Grilled Chicken, but you wont see two Grilled Chickens in the same park anytime soon.

^God how I love food analagies. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm original recipe! KFC for dinner tonight? I think I'll be having traditional sit down with a butt load of mashed potatoes.

Guy "Wait a minute, If the Original Recipe is a traditional sit down, what would adding the mashed potatoes make it? What if I had the baked beans as well? And the corn on a stick! Ohhhh! And the mac and cheese! Wow! Suddenly I have a traditional sitdown, multi looper, rocket (get it? beans. ),Intimin wood (stick), 4D (m&c). Now that's a coaster I can get in to!" Koepp

I clearly see a difference in the two coasters. Obviously the guests will see that there is four across seating om the B&M and 2 across on the Vekoma. The park also has enough variety already, Goliath Le-monstere Le-Cobra and the others are already good, so I don't see how an slc upsets the balance. The fact that they are both standard is just the way the cookie crumbles. All flat rides are standard, and nobody is ever upset by those when a park has a flat ride that is similar. SF just wanted a place to put the coaster so they could have their money working!

If I'm not mistaken, every single Six Flags park in North America has either a Batman clone or a Vekoma SLC. Obviously Six Flags is not going to send the SLC from Astroworld to a park that already has an SLC. So if you can't sell the coaster, what is the next best thing? Send it to a park with a Batman clone. I believe that's the case Six Flags found themselves in, so they sent this coaster off to a park that was due for a "new" coaster. (I apologize if someone else already posted this thought and I didn't catch it earlier in the thread)

After seeing the LONG lines on Vampire, I think this was the right coaster for the right park. The Canadians really like their Inverted's!

I'm sure the long line for Vampire is due to the fact that Vampire and Goliath are the only quality coasters in the park.

I almost want to make the trip to the park for the ride's opening weekend just to stand at the exit and hear everyone get off after waiting an hour or two say "Wow, that sucks compared to Vampire..."

I've only been on two SLC's - Mind Eraser at SFA and Thunderhawk at GL/MA. Mind Eraser is god awful. Thunderhawk was very smooth and very enjoyable when I rode it at GL in the front seat.

Edited by Capitalize

^^

The last one I rode was Kong at SFDK and that was god awful as well.

I had ridden Serial Thriller at SFAW and I don't remember it being that bad considering it was one of the newest SLC's that had been constructed.

La Ronde just announced today a new (paying- $7.00) attraction for the 2010 season; Terminator X.

Terminator X, the ultimate laser battle at La Ronde!

Terminator X is an interactive laser battle inspired by the Terminator blockbuster movies in which two teams are pitted against each other. In addition, both teams have to contend with the booby-trapped SkyNET artificial intelligence battle arena and elite battle squads inspired from blockbuster movie mogul James Cameron (Avatar, Titanic).

The whole thing takes place in a virtual, surreal, and futuristic environment pulsating to the beat of a unique and entrancing soundtrack immersing participants in a video game environment. In Terminator X, “you are the target!”

During this heart-thumping adventure, the combatants are greeted by elite SkyNET soldiers working for Cyberdine Industries and recruited to test new laser weaponry in the battle arena. After the battle, recruits are evaluated by the SkyNET soldiers and given their scores.

Terminator X was created by the President and Chief Executive Officer of Sudden Impact! Entertainment Company (SIEC), Lynton V. Harris, the man behind The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, the star attraction at La Ronde in 2009 with over 125,000 thrilled participants.

I almost want to make the trip to the park for the ride's opening weekend just to stand at the exit and hear everyone get off after waiting an hour or two say "Wow, that sucks compared to Vampire..."

I've only been on two SLC's - Mind Eraser at SFA and Thunderhawk at GL/MA. Mind Eraser is god awful. Thunderhawk was very smooth and very enjoyable when I rode it at GL in the front seat.

In addition to the 2 mentioned,I also got on T2 at SFKK,and Batman The Ride at Six Flags Mexico(the smoothest one,in my opinion)

• 2 weeks later...

This is definitely good for the park, but it kind of makes me sad. Canada has one of the worst coaster collections in the world. LaRonde has Goliath and Vampire, Canada's Wonderland has Behemoth, and Galaxyland has Mindbender.

So we have 4 'stand out' coasters in total... with every park in Canada included there, Vampire is a mirrored clone, Mindbender is a partial clone, so that leaves us with 2 decent, original coasters.

I wonder why? We have a fairly grim count of amusement parks too, and it can't just be the climate... I mean was Wonderland not one of the most monetarily successful parks in the Paramount repertoire? The parks are consistently busy, and the country has a population of over 30 million. A lot of European countries with way smaller populations and a very similar climate, if not harsher, have way more parks with way more stand out coasters.

Either way, I shouldn't complain, I suppose there are countries that don't have any amusement parks at all.

This will be good for LaRonde, and I definitely agree that the GP won't really care or pay attention to the minor similarities to Vampire.

Yet another coaster sponsored by McDonald's I thought that these red/yellow paint treatment was exclusive to Cedar Fair coasters...

When is this SLC meant to open?

April Fool's joke or is Six Flags doing another viral campaign.

Montréal, Thursday, April 1, 2010 – A mysterious creature has emerged from Lac des Dauphins at La Ronde and traumatized two workmen at a new rollercoaster construction site. Suffering from shock, the two men have not been able to provide much detail about the incident; however, they claim that the creature escaped Lac des Dauphins through an underwater tunnel before retreating into the St. Lawrence River.

A short video found on one of the workmen’s cell phone shows evidence of a creature that is much larger than anything known to occupy these waters.

Last April Fool's they announced both Bizarro's and showed the YouTube clips of them being stuck by lightening.