TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

La Ronde Discussion Thread

Then it is reasonable to assume that since it did not e stop, all the pedals were in a "locked" position, unless that sensor failed to detect it somehow. Then I just learned something new about these. The train I am familiar with you have to hold the pedal down and if a restraint was left up as the train was dispatched, the pedal stayed down, which would physically hit a switch and stop the lift, it was very cheesey and if you were on the train you could reach out and hit the switch as you went by, stopping the lift, I would guess by now that has been changed. The photo eye-reflector setup seems a lot better.

This is an odd request, could someone post a pic of this setup so I could see it?

All Arrow trains have foot pedals, even the automatic release trains as the foot pedal serves as the manual release device should it be necessary.

I don't know if this could of happened, but I was once told by a person that had previously worked maintenance on Demon while it was at Wonderland Sydney that they had a mechanic that had arms long enough to reach the pedal and release it as the train would climb the lift to scare the other mechanics riding, but would put it back up before the train would release. If nothing mechanically was found wrong maybe that is what happened, and that might explain why those two guests left without reporting it to the ops.

This makes me suspicious of the other 2 kids. This is unrelated but my arm is long enough to push a G-Train release pedal on Twisted Twins lift. I HAVE NOT DONE THIS WHILE THE RIDE IS IN MOTION. Those kids were prolly scarred of getting in trouble!

^ It still would be incredibly hard to reach the pedal unless an additional item was used. Again, that would be just speculation and unfair to the people involved.

Maybe the Arrow foot pedals differ on strength depending on when they were built.

I think so. It seems like the older ones (Demon at CGA circa 1976 or so, formerly Turn of the Century), seem to be more difficult to press down. I believe they are in roughly the same location as on this Boomerang train, and it is kind of strange that the kids took off after this happened, like maybe they had something to hide and didn't want to get caught, but I still can't figure, unless they were seven feet tall, how they would be able to do that. I'm still thinking something could have happened on the second lift when the train caught the lift chain.

• 1 year later...

La Ronde announced today that for 2012 they will add the 150 foot "Vol Ultime" (Ultimate Flight) star flyer to the park.

http://www.laronde.com/larondeen/vol_ultime.asp

La Ronde will help park visitors fly with the upcoming arrival of the latest sensation in tower rides, the “Vol Ultime.” Park visitors will have the chance to soar to new heights in one of the 16 twin seats, circling up to 45 metres above the park – as high as a 15-storey building! “Vol Ultime” will offer passengers a breathtaking view of La Ronde, Montreal and the surrounding area. Once at the top, the circle shaped by the 32 passengers at the summit of the tower will stretch nearly 30 metres in diameter with riders flying at almost 60 kilometres/hour.

Designed for thrill-seekers of all ages, “Vol Ultime”, will be located beside Disco Ronde, right behind the Vertigo.

The first passengers get to embark this coming May, but it is now possible to take a ‘virtual’ ride, thanks to a software program available on the La Ronde Facebook page. In addition to being among the first to blast off on “Vol Ultime,” fans who take a virtual ride get the chance to win a pair of season passes for 2012, the only ride pass that provides unlimited access to the park, and to the new ride.

logo_laronde.jpg.6e99aec159d1c9d702f3917bfe16a0cc.jpg

La Ronde's new logo.

974773051_ScreenShot2012-01-20at9_41_07AM.jpg.1f8b62240280f568899c63474a48003e.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

I wonder why they didn't name it Sky Screamer, the park already has a coaster named Goliath and since we are talking about Six Flags . Though, I do like that this Star Flyer has a different name, at least SF has some creative thinking.

^ Marineland has a trademark on Sky Screamer already.

I kinda wished they stuck with something else like Asterioid or Fireball (those were suggested names that La Ronde listed in a poll to name the ride). But I guess the current name's alright.

Anyone else think this is the one originally announced for SFGAdv, and it was sent here because Six Flags didn't have anywhere else to put it? That's what I thought when I saw the announcement (SFGAdv's was originally 150 ft tall, just like this).

It's nice to see Six Flags putting money into this park, but I think it would be better for them to clean up the park and improve operations first. Even by Six Flags standards, this park's operations were horrible (45 minutes WITH Gold Flash Pass!), and if it weren't for small issues like that it would actually be a decent park. If I ever visit again and I had time to ride this, I would, but not if the line is excessive.

^Unlikely, I'm pretty sure when Six Flags upgraded their Star Flyer order for Great Adventure the manufacturer didn't force them to order the smaller version, also.

Not sure how long it takes to order these, but could it be possible that it was already being built and the 200 foot one is entirely new, leaving them with a 150 one to put somewhere?

Then you will also need to ordor al the other parts as well, longer steel cables and lots more little stuff...

I think that's a great addition to La Ronde, but they indeed must improve operations first You will get a fantastic view of the city, i guess...

^Unlikely, I'm pretty sure when Six Flags upgraded their Star Flyer order for Great Adventure the manufacturer didn't force them to order the smaller version, also.

Not sure how long it takes to order these, but could it be possible that it was already being built and the 200 foot one is entirely new, leaving them with a 150 one to put somewhere?

True anything is possible, no one here has that inside knowledge.

It's nice to see a new SF Star Flyer not using the name "Sky Screamer". It seems like the park is doing the same thing they did with Vampire, take ride that every other SF park is getting, theme and paint it that same way, but give it a different name.

As said in the last page by netdvn, Sky Screamer is trademarked by Marineland Canada, so they were forced to give it another name.

Even by Six Flags standards, this park's operations were horrible (45 minutes WITH Gold Flash Pass!), and if it weren't for small issues like that it would actually be a decent park.

I dunno about you, but I'd consider long waits after paying big money for a Gold QBot to be a serious problem, not a small one.

Even by Six Flags standards, this park's operations were horrible (45 minutes WITH Gold Flash Pass!), and if it weren't for small issues like that it would actually be a decent park.

I dunno about you, but I'd consider long waits after paying big money for a Gold QBot to be a serious problem, not a small one.

The reality is that most of the rides weren't that bad. On average, I would say it was about ten minutes once you joined the queue (which I consider acceptable). However, the SLC took over a half hour (possibly due to one train), and I heard Monstre was 45 minutes (didn't actually ride that one with Flash Pass, so no first hand experience there). La Ronde just has horrible operations in general, and they don't try to do better. For example, a sign in Ednor's station stated the following (translated): "Capacity objective: 1 train-320 riders per hour, 2 trains-630 riders per hour". The numbers may be slightly off, but when I know an SLC has a theoretical capacity around 1000 people per hour with two trains, that really isn't trying hard at all.