TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

La Ronde Discussion Thread

Also, I wonder what the name will be !

Knowing it's Six Flags, I'm guessing they probably either keep the Serial Thriller name or go with another "cut and paste" name.

Serial Thriller would translate in an awkward way...

I think they should give it a name after a god or something. An appropriate name would be a medieval or celtic name since the ride is located in the medieval section of the park. It might as well be a kind of sea monster.

I'm just doing too much speculation. Let's wait and what they'll be coming up with !

What doesn't make sense is why didn't they just install it at the Great Escape since they have no inverted coaster rather than add it to La Ronde.

My thoughts exactly! I'm surprised Great Escape didn't install it for themselves.

ok so like they are putting in another inverted rollercaoster i mean yeah the vampire is fun but like i was kind of thinking they should make a rollercaoster thats higher the goliath cuz for a little while it was the tallest rollercaoster in canada but now its canadas wonder land but oh well i am sure it will still be fun

Obviously you dont know that Six Flags is no position right now to build anything above 100ft tall. They were more or less in the past, and might be in the future, but they definitely wont be doing such a thing presently.

What doesn't make sense is why didn't they just install it at the Great Escape since they have no inverted coaster rather than add it to La Ronde.

My thoughts exactly! I'm surprised Great Escape didn't install it for themselves.

Maybe the Great Escape didn't want the SLC.

There's that Intamin Stand Up in that field at Darien Lake, I'm sure the new owners would be happy to send it to Six Flags and La Ronde, duelling Intamin stand ups, wake me when it's over.

If Six Flags is going to start rotating coasters again, send El Toro and SFNE Bizarro to SFMM, that's way closer for me. C'mon do it Six Flags, why start making sense now.

• 2 months later...

Sorry about resurrecting a dead thread but are there any new details about the ride? I personally think they're withholding the name because they are waiting to brand the park with Six Flags. I can easily see an Aquaman themed coaster here and are just waiting for the deal to be made. I have also read online that the park has been trying to brand the park since early of this year, and why not open a new roller coaster with the new branding.

• 2 months later...

I bet the coaster folk at La Ronde are as disappointing as I was when Michigan's Adventure got the "new" SLC in 2008. "Hey billy, it's just like that there Raptor at Cedar Point!"

It doesn't make sense to me why they'd install that when they already have a B&M Batman clone.

I bet the coaster folk at La Ronde are as disappointing as I was when Michigan's Adventure got the "new" SLC in 2008. "Hey billy, it's just like that there Raptor at Cedar Point!"

It doesn't make sense to me why they'd install that when they already have a B&M Batman clone.

It doesn't have to "make sense" from an enthusiast's viewpoint to "make sense." There are several parks with more than one type of suspended coaster. While I realize that both of these rides are full-sized inverted coasters, the two across seating of the SLC, placement over the water, and different arsenal of elements will surely give the ride distinction amongst visitors to the park.

In addition, the new ride is being placed further back towards a dead corner of the park, which through last season only really had a Ferris Wheel, Indoor Family Coaster, and Skycoaster. Smart park operators know that a new marquee attraction in a quiet area of a park not only spreads the crowds, but also helps food/beverage and games revenue numbers in the formerly quiet area of the park.

We can question the choice of sending this ride to La Ronde until we turn blue in the face. Bottom line- it is marketable (nothing like it for at least a 4 hour drive in any direction from Montreal), and most importantly, it fit the challenging site requirements that the park was faced with.

Like other high profile clone installations that enthusiasts may not be all that into, take this as your cue to enjoy more rides on Goliath, Vampire, and Monstre while the masses form a 2 hour queue for the SLC.

SFMM has Ninja (suspended), Batman The Ride (inverted), Deja Vu (inverted), and Tatsu (flyer). I've yet to hear one guest get them mixed up. True, they're different enough, but an SLC and B&M inverted are different enough, too, so I think this will work out OK.

Eric

These two rides don't even share any inversion elements between them. The zero-g and inline twists are similar, but I wouldn't really count them as the same experience. I think the ride experiences will be different enough to set them apart.

Besides, it's Canada, it doesn't have to make sense.

Does it really matter? It's a new coaster for a park that could use one, if nothing more than to draw in more guests. Who cares where it came from, how many they have or anything. Let it go and let the guests enjoy it.

I'm actually somewhat excited for this. I had a lot of fun when I went to La Ronde in 2008 and it's still one of my favorite non-themed parks. I think the idea of having a coaster built partly over the lake is cool. I've been on most of the SLC's in North America with the exception of Kong and the one at Six Flags Mexico and yes, some of them really beat you around. However, they're still fun to ride. I think the idea of having an "extreme" coaster that will beat the crap out of you is something that could be marketed better. If the non-enthusiasts see the ride as being advertised as a ride that will beat the crap out of you, it's something that may be appealing to a certain audience.

Here's a comparison for some of you to think about. When Six Flags Great America had both Shockwave and Demon, nobody seemed to complain about it. In fact, many enthusiasts complained when the park chose to take out Shockwave. It wasn't the best coaster on the market, but it was still fun to ride.

This is a little off topic, but I was just wondering if anyone knows whether or not the other side (left side of station) will be operating on Monstre this year. My friend and I really liked the right side and the left side looks a little bit different than the right side.

Edited by sixflagsguy5

I'm just glad to see it not in pieces anymore... True the park already has an inverted coaster, but park guests will definitely show it a lot of love once it's running. IMO, Batclones are different enough from an SLC where your average visitor will not find them similar.

I'm all for getting this back in action again. It kind of bugs me from the enthusiast standpoint, but it certainly wouldn't be as confounding if the SLC had been there and La Ronde then decided to put up a Batman clone. Looking at it like this, it'll make no difference to the GP who don't spend hours debating the "quality" of their inverted coaster rides. It'll definitely be popular, looks to be in a nice spot and should get more people in the door.

Sometimes I think I am the only person who likes SLC's. Really don't get all the negativeness about them. Fun, fast and since when is a few bump and jolts not supposed to be part of a coaster ride? I guess that's why I like rides like Magnum over Diamond Back and Millenium Force.

Happy to see another one going up (again) and if SFKK wants to get rid of theirs I hope it shows up near me.