TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

La Ronde Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Kevin from Theme Park Maniacs went to La Ronde about 3 months ago where he filmed a couple of vlogs and POVs. This is the first POV that was posted on his channel. There has already been 8 vlogs posted on his channel but this is the first one.

http://http://youtu.be/qif5hpzSdhQ

It's a good trip review. It's quite unfortunate how Kevin is no longer with us though. I'm thinking about going to La Ronde sometime within the next few years. I've discovered it's quite expensive though for the amount of rides they have. Also, I've heard the park isn't very nice in operations or appearance. Any advice about going to the park sometime within the next few years?

^Uhh... Yeah, just sit and wait, don't go till they get an RMC or S&S Freespin

In all seriousness though, my best advice is to try and get tickets as cheap as possible (probably online?... Haven't been recently, so don't know much about prices).

Being completely honest, there's only a handful of rides worth doing, most notibly the following:

Goliath: Standard B&M hyper, but IMO better than/on par with Behemoth and Leviathan. There seems to be more airtime hills, along with some great little odd shaped elements near the end that provide some really interesting forces.

Monster: Not a great Woodie, aside from the one pop of airtime about 1/3 of the way through the ride on one track, but I'd say just ride it anyway... That way, if the coaster ever gets RMCed, you can say you did both versions

Dragon: An indoor powered coaster, similar to thunder run at CW. Fun ride, however, like thunder run, lines for this coaster have always been massive every time I've visited the park. If you plan on riding, head to this one first.

Pitoune: Classic log flume ride. Ride this every time I've gone to the park. One of the original attractions that opened with La Ronde back in 1967, and as far as I know, one of the oldest rides still operating in Canada.

Condor: Great Huss Flat ride. Ran on a great program last time I was there.

Cobra: While not as forceful as the now defunct Skyrider at CW, if you're a fan of older standups, definitely check this coaster out. Smoother than one would expect, with some decent elements throughout.

Vol Ultime: Funtime Starflyer, very similar experience to windseeker over at CW, but a little more forceful and enjoyable IMO.

Vampire: Saving the best for last... This is the main reason I even bother to visit La Ronde. While BTR clones aren't everyone's cup of tea, I personally can't get enough of them! IMO, the best coaster in Canada (pick back row, outer left seat). DISCLAIMER: Once you have rode Vampire, all other coasters in this country (Aside from possibly Mindbender out in Edmonton) will seem like complete and utter garbage... You have been warned!

As for operations... Well, as many have stated before, they're Sh*t. Nearly everyone working there speaks broken English, so if you don't know the native language, French, you're pretty much screwed. Only real advice I can give is to go on a day when crowds are light, that way, no matter how bad operations are, you'll at least get some rides in.

As for the park itself, it's no wonderland in terms of scenery, however, the park's been cleaned up a little in my recent visits. The middle section of the park, to be honest, is kind of a sh*thole, however, the front (Vampire, Vol Ultime etc.) and back (Goliath, Dragon etc.) areas of the park are decent, with some nice shaded areas to get out of the sun/rain.

Thanks Canadianparkfan for your review of La Ronde. Let's just say, I'm glad Canada's Wonderland is my home park as it has excellent operations, great rides, and has an excellent appearance. Hopefully La Ronde improves greatly in the next few years before I decide to make my visit.

^Well, it's totally your choice if you want to head to the park. La Ronde's certainly not perfect, however, that seems to be the norm with a lot of local parks. Unfortunately, not too many places I've visited are on par with Wonderland's great operations. It's really a shame, places like Galaxyland and La Ronde are home to some great coasters (ie. Mindbender and Vampire).

I've found the best way to deal with bad staffing is to simply go with a larger group of friends, preferably members of the GP, who don't care what they ride; that way, if operations are slow, or rides are down, the company of your group can help you take your mind off that fact. I totally get that's not the answer that creditwhore enthusiasts want to hear, however, if your willing to sacrifice a few credits, and you know you'll most likely make it back to "insert park here" some other season in the near future, the aforementioned strategy works wonders.

While I've never done the "go with a group of GP" thing at La Ronde, I can tell you that it's definetly helped me through a tough season where I didn't make it out to any parks, and the closest I got to a "park road trip" was to pay a visit to Campbell amusements in the next town over.

Anyway, rant about my sh*tty season with no parks aside, I'm glad I could help. Feel free to check out a few videos I shot on my trip to la ronde a few years back that I've got on my YouTube channel (link in signiture).

Kevin from Theme Park Maniacs went to La Ronde about 3 months ago where he filmed a couple of vlogs and POVs. This is the first POV that was posted on his channel. There has already been 8 vlogs posted on his channel but this is the first one.

http://http://youtu.be/qif5hpzSdhQ

It's a good trip review. It's quite unfortunate how Kevin is no longer with us though. I'm thinking about going to La Ronde sometime within the next few years. I've discovered it's quite expensive though for the amount of rides they have. Also, I've heard the park isn't very nice in operations or appearance. Any advice about going to the park sometime within the next few years?

Yeah it sucks that he passed away. I found out not to long ago that I was at La Ronde one of the days that he was there too but I didn't get a chance to meet him.

Well if you want to go to La Ronde, you could still go next year but I would wait until 2017 when they get their "major new ride" which will probably be an RMC or another "big coaster". Also the operations are bad but I feel like they're improving each season. Compared to the 2011 season the operations now seem really good. Also yes La Ronde is kinda expensive but at least it's 20-30$ cheaper than six flags great adventure or canada's wonderland. A one day ticjet costs like 40$ while a season pass costs like 50$.

Yeah it sucks that he passed away. I found out not to long ago that I was at La Ronde one of the days that he was there too but I didn't get a chance to meet him.

Well if you want to go to La Ronde, you could still go next year but I would wait until 2017 when they get their "major new ride" which will probably be an RMC or another "big coaster". Also the operations are bad but I feel like they're improving each season. Compared to the 2011 season the operations now seem really good. Also yes La Ronde is kinda expensive but at least it's 20-30$ cheaper than six flags great adventure or Canada's wonderland. A one day ticjet costs like 40$ while a season pass costs like 50$.

TPR Xtreme Fan, I said I plan on visiting sometime within the next few years, not next year. But, La Ronde is very expensive because it doesn't have nearly as many rides as Canada's Wonderland has. When I had looked on La Ronde's website a few weeks ago, a daily admission ticket was $61.99+ tax at the gate while a ticket to Canada's Wonderland was $62.99+ tax at the gate. I'm a season pass holder to Canada's Wonderland so, daily admission doesn't matter to me. Another thing I don't like about La Ronde other than their operations is how they don't have a two day admission ticket as that is what I buy when I go on an amusement park vacation, like I had done at Kings Island last year and Dorney Park this year. I hope they do improve their operations like you say because I want to have a good time when I visit!

Well if you want to go to La Ronde, you could still go next year but I would wait until 2017 when they get their "major new ride" which will probably be an RMC or another "big coaster". Also the operations are bad but I feel like they're improving each season. Compared to the 2011 season the operations now seem really good. Also yes La Ronde is kinda expensive but at least it's 20-30$ cheaper than six flags great adventure or Canada's wonderland. A one day ticjet costs like 40$ while a season pass costs like 50$.

TPR Xtreme Fan, I said I plan on visiting sometime within the next few years, not next year. But, La Ronde is very expensive because it doesn't have nearly as many rides as Canada's Wonderland has. When I had looked on La Ronde's website a few weeks ago, a daily admission ticket was $61.99+ tax at the gate while a ticket to Canada's Wonderland was $62.99+ tax at the gate. I'm a season pass holder to Canada's Wonderland so, daily admission doesn't matter to me. Another thing I don't like about La Ronde other than their operations is how they don't have a two day admission ticket as that is what I buy when I go on an amusement park vacation, like I had done at Kings Island last year and Dorney Park this year. I hope they do improve their operations like you say because I want to have a good time when I visit!

Damn! I just checked the price and it is 61,99$! That's ridiculous! Two years ago it only costed 45$. Oh well at least the season pass still costs 50$. Also yeah the operations have improved a lot but they're still pretty bad. If you go and you want to get the most credits possible. Than I recommend you stay in a hotel and go twice to La Ronde but because you don't have a Six Flags season pass you'll have to pay 62$ for each visit so in that case I recommend you buy a flash pass instead. If I was you, I would avoid going there on a Saturday since that's the most crowded day of the week. The best days to go to La Ronde are always Fridays and Sundays since everyone goes there on Saturday. When I go to La Ronde, I always go on Sunday at around 4 pm because that's the time when everyone starts leaving the park. At around 7 pm the park is so empty that most of the rides have a 15 min wait max or they're straight walk ons.

Damn! I just checked the price and it is 61,99$! That's ridiculous! Two years ago it only costed 45$. Oh well at least the season pass still costs 50$. Also yeah the operations have improved a lot but they're still pretty bad. If you go and you want to get the most credits possible. Than I recommend you stay in a hotel and go twice to La Ronde but because you don't have a Six Flags season pass you'll have to pay 62$ for each visit so in that case I recommend you buy a flash pass instead. If I was you, I would avoid going there on a Saturday since that's the most crowded day of the week. The best days to go to La Ronde are always Fridays and Sundays since everyone goes there on Saturday. When I go to La Ronde, I always go on Sunday at around 4 pm because that's the time when everyone starts leaving the park. At around 7 pm the park is so empty that most of the rides have a 15 min wait max or they're straight walk ons.

Thanks TPR Xtreme Fan for the information. If I were to visit the park, it would be on a weekday as those are the least busiest days and arrive before the park opens. Also, I have stayed in a hotel on my other trips to other parks in the past as well when I had gone to Kings island in 2014 and Dorney Park in 2015. So, I really wasn't going to decide to sleep on the street just because it is Montreal, Quebec. Too bad their isn't a two-day admission ticket or a special deal for two tickets. But, maybe in two years time there will be. I'm just hoping the park improves greatly before I arrive but, maybe that's asking too much. Just another question, how is the French/English language barrier? Just wondering because Canada's Wonderland is my home park and there are no French signs in the park so, I'm wondering if it would be that way at La Ronde, except with English?

Thanks TPR Xtreme Fan for the information. If I were to visit the park, it would be on a weekday as those are the least busiest days and arrive before the park opens. Also, I have stayed in a hotel on my other trips to other parks in the past as well when I had gone to Kings island in 2014 and Dorney Park in 2015. So, I really wasn't going to decide to sleep on the street just because it is Montreal, Quebec. Too bad their isn't a two-day admission ticket or a special deal for two tickets. But, maybe in two years time there will be. I'm just hoping the park improves greatly before I arrive but, maybe that's asking too much. Just another question, how is the French/English language barrier? Just wondering because Canada's Wonderland is my home park and there are no French signs in the park so, I'm wondering if it would be that way at La Ronde, except with English?

Well even tho the employees don't talk that much English they will still understand what you are telling them but most of them will have a little bit of difficulty finding their words. Also, ALL of the signs are translated to english. Also, when you about to board a ride there's always a recording explaining the rules of the ride and that is always translated to english at the end. Honestly, I don't think you'll have to worry about the english barier because La Ronde is a pretty bilingual place. Also, a lot of people say that La Ronde's employees are rude but it's not really that their rude but it's just that when you talk to them in English, some of them might not know what to respond back but employees speak English tho since they also teach you English at school here in Québec.

It has been about six years since my visit, but I don't remember La Ronde as being run down, having rude employees or having a lot of difficulty ordering food or drinks due to language barrier. Has it really gotten that bad?

The thing that I remember about La Ronde was that their coaster and ride selections were simply not that great. Almost on par with what I would expect on a visit to say...Elitch Gardens.

The two positive things that stuck in my mind about our visit was that Goliath was a fun coaster and that I liked the location with the great view of downtown Montreal (which is a fantastic city, by the way).

It has been about six years since my visit, but I don't remember La Ronde as being run down, having rude employees or having a lot of difficulty ordering food or drinks due to language barrier. Has it really gotten that bad?

The thing that I remember about La Ronde was that their coaster and ride selections were simply not that great. Almost on par with what I would expect on a visit to say...Elitch Gardens.

The two positive things that stuck in my mind about our visit was that Goliath was a fun coaster and that I liked the location with the great view of downtown Montreal (which is a fantastic city, by the way).

Well yeah La Ronde started getting worse and worse until 2012. That's the year when it started getting better in my opinion.

Yeah La Ronde's coasters are about average imo, le Monstre is fun but rough, le Goliath is also very fun and snooth but did you ride le Vampire? Le Vampire is without any doubt the best coaster there. For some reason it's a lot more intense than the other Batman clones but that's probably because of the shorter 7 car trains on le Vampire as opposed to the 8 car trains on the Batman clones.

• 2 weeks later...
change of Attraction. It is one of six flags st louis?

https://youtu.be/S2mGWNbaApY?t=3m20s

Yes, it appears that it is Rush Street Flyer from Six Flags St. Louis. I wonder they didn't go with the original Gravitor ride (Gosetto Party Dance)? I'm glad they decided to keep the Chance Falling Star in the Six Flags chain as it is a rare ride nowadays.

Agreed, coaster lineup is "meh". If monster gets RMCed though, that'd definetly make the park worth going to again... Triple threat with Goliath, Vampire and "Twisted/RMC" Monster, plus a few decent flats.

As for the language barrier thing, I think the problem has to do with the fact thatMontreal has become more French due to the government regulating anything English and encouraging anything French over the past few decades (Not too knowledgable about the issue, but that's what I know from living here in Canada). The park's probably just hiring local students looking for summer jobs (who may not have the best education in English, depending on what school they go to, where they live, etc.), and because many locals in the area are French speaking, the language barrier happens.

Anyway, issues aside, really looking forward to vampire backwards in 2016. The back row's always been my favourite on that ride, so this should be great.

Well yeah La Ronde started getting worse and worse until 2012. That's the year when it started getting better in my opinion.

Yeah La Ronde's coasters are about average imo, le Monstre is fun but rough, le Goliath is also very fun and snooth but did you ride le Vampire? Le Vampire is without any doubt the best coaster there. For some reason it's a lot more intense than the other Batman clones but that's probably because of the shorter 7 car trains on le Vampire as opposed to the 8 car trains on the Batman clones.

Yes, we rode Le Vampire but I didn't really notice much difference in intensity compared with the ones that I have ridden at SFGA or SFMM. Don't get me wrong, I do like the Batman inverts...I just didn't really recall this one being much different from the rest.