TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

La Ronde Discussion Thread

^What comes to my mind :

-Depending on the amount of peoples at the park at the beginning of the day, you might want to get a Flash Pass as La Ronde can get very crowded on summer days.

-If you've never been to La Ronde, you might want to take a ride on the Minirail early in the day, as it circles the park and would allow you to see most rides and find what you will want to go on.

-As for pretty much any park you visit, start at the back of the park with Goliath, or start on the other side of the park with Vampire. If you follow my previous tip, the Minirail has one of its two stations right next to Goliath (the other beeing next to the main entrance), so you could ride it first thing in the morning and go to Goliath right after, this would save you the walk around the park. Also, if you want the credit make sure to ride Toboggan Nordique (Wild Mouse) early in the day as well, just like most Wild Mouses it has a very low capacity.

-Don't miss the Dragon, it's hidden near the Catapult at the complete end of the park, and even though it's not a "thrilling ride" it's a fairly well themed and fun indoor coaster.

-I think the best fast-foods in the park are BBQ Laflamme (near Ednör) and Lafleur (near Vampire/Cobra). I don't know if you're going with a group, but you might then want to eat at Fort Edmonton as there are about 8-10 restaurants next to each other, so there's variety if not everyone wants to eat the same thing. There's also two Subways, one McDonald's, and a few Pizza restaurants if you're more into "common" food.

-Unless you really want the credit, don't ride the Cobra, it's a POS.

Hopes this will help you at least a little bit!

Hey guys, I'm going to La Ronde for the first time at the end of August. It's the first park on a trip that also includes Seabreeze, Martin's Fantasy Island (both of which I've never been to) and then ending at Conneaut/Waldameer (which I have been to, and I love them both!)

My real interest in La Ronde is Le Monstre. Do both sides typically run during the week? I'll most likely be at the park on Tuesday, August 25th, with the option of going for a couple hours the night before (Monday) and/or a couple hours early Wednesday before I head out to Seabreeze. I'm definitely interested in getting on all the coasters; never been on a Vekoma Corkscrew before, and Goliath seems to have a unique flat turn around (flat turn enthusiast here! we do exist!)... but my main interest is Le Monstre. So the concerns are:

1) what's the probability I will be able to ride both sides of Le Monstre?

2) what are the lines like around then? Do I need a Flash Pass?

Thanks for the input! Any advice is welcome

My real interest in La Ronde is Le Monstre. Do both sides typically run during the week? I'll most likely be at the park on Tuesday, August 25th, with the option of going for a couple hours the night before (Monday) and/or a couple hours early Wednesday before I head out to Seabreeze. I'm definitely interested in getting on all the coasters; never been on a Vekoma Corkscrew before, and Goliath seems to have a unique flat turn around (flat turn enthusiast here! we do exist!)... but my main interest is Le Monstre. So the concerns are:

1. Le Monstre usually runs both sides, but not always with two trains each even on some more packed days. Recently it has runned 4 trains a lot so you might be lucky and be able to ride both sides fairly easily. However Flash Pass is only available on track 2, as, unlike Lightning Racer for example, you board the coaster on the outer sides of the station instead of inside (this would force the coaster to have two FP lanes, and of course they didn't make two).

2. Check for the crowds it will depend, but usually a Flash Pass is a pretty good investment. However since August 25th will be pretty close to school beginning it is not impossible that the park might be less packed than usual.

Hope this can help! Also have a look at a precedent post I made for someone else, I recently posted a few additional tips one post before yours.

Hey guys, I'm going to La Ronde for the first time at the end of August. It's the first park on a trip that also includes Seabreeze, Martin's Fantasy Island (both of which I've never been to) and then ending at Conneaut/Waldameer (which I have been to, and I love them both!)

Wow! That is dedication since La Ronde is way out of the way from all the other parks you're visiting. If you're spending a day or two in Montreal and maybe swinging back through US past Lake George/ Great Escape then it make sense.

I love that La Ronde still has that Expo '67 vibe and the mini rail is a leftover from the Expo that is pretty cool to ride. It's location next to the city is really unique and makes it feel and look "urban" (aka run down a bit). It's a fun day regardless. It can get pretty hot and crowded though.

Have a blast and drive safe.

When I went to La Ronde the crowds were pretty big in the afternoon and the Monstre kept breaking down. But in the evening most of the rides (including Monstre) were walk on rides.

If you're going to both MFI and Seabreeze, you should hit Darien Lake, which is right in the middle.

MFI and Seabreeze are both nice little parks with a lot of charm, but I think you'll find that you won't be spending too long at either, mainly MFI. Of course, you can marathon the Silver Comet, but if they are still running the same loading procedure you may become aggravated. I suggest sitting mostly in the front for that one. Besides the first drop, the back really has no airtime. The front does on every dip.

Seabreeze is a nice little park. The Bobsleds are a unique coaster, and I really enjoyed Whirlwind. Jack Rabbit is pretty tame altogether, but that's what to expect from a coaster that's 95 years old. They have a very big nice waterpark too, and the log flume is nice. I think it holds the record for steepest log flume.

^Thanks for the advice guys! I'm choosing to skip Darien Lake as I was there a few years ago. No hurry to get back there

I'm glad to hear they usually run both sides of Le Monstre. It feels a little "shaky" going so far out of my way for a six flags park, but I've never been and I wanna get there before anything big changes with Le Monstre (including a progressively rough track, as I know the ride runs heavy PTCs now, but was designed for lighter Morgans).

I'm a sucker for older mom & pop parks, so I think I'll be happy spending a day at Seabreeze. I'm meeting up with a friend at Martin's, and we don't plan on spending the whole day there.

Any advice on eating in the park? I usually flat out refuse to waste my time and money trying to eat in a Six Flags park; it's not that the food is overpriced or that it's crappy, it's the horribly long and unorganized wait in line that keeps me away. I might just go out the cooler in my trunk and see what I got, unless there is a good option in the park? I shouldn't judge the service of the park before I go, but I've heard bad things and well... it's a six flags.

Any advice on eating in the park? I usually flat out refuse to waste my time and money trying to eat in a Six Flags park; it's not that the food is overpriced or that it's crappy, it's the horribly long and unorganized wait in line that keeps me away. I might just go out the cooler in my trunk and see what I got, unless there is a good option in the park? I shouldn't judge the service of the park before I go, but I've heard bad things and well... it's a six flags.

The food at La Ronde is typical Six Flags. However, if you plan to get to La Ronde by public transports, there's a lot of restaurants at the Longueuil Metro Station and in Montreal, depending on where is your hotel, so for lunch it might be more difficult but if you don't mind eating a little late I would suggest finding a nearby restaurant after your visit.

I cannot comment for La Ronde, as I've never been there. But I have made multiple visits to both MFI and Seabreeze so I can offer any advice for both parks.

Both are reasonable with prices and food. Nothing out of this world amazing, but not as bad as some parks. Fantasy Island has a good pizza stand by the Crazy Mouse and a restaurant called Boppers next to the Disko. There's also a chicken stand in front of the Silver Comet. It all depends what you have a taste for. Make sure to get sugar waffles on the way out from the yellow stand. Definitely a tradition for me.

Seabeeze food is pretty similar to MFI, many stands within the park selling the same kind of stuff. For dessert or a snack, there is a really good ice cream stand in front of the park. You could totally do a whole day there, many unique rides and a good waterpark.

Thanks for the information guys! I'll be driving my own car, so I'll probably just keep my cooler packed and go out to the lot if I need a sandwich or snack. I did notice there is a Subway at La Ronde. Can't be too bad, could it?

I did notice there is a Subway at La Ronde. Can't be too bad, could it?

Well, it's pretty much like every Subway everywhere, a little more expensive There's two actually, one in the Fort Edmonton "themed" area near the main entrance, and one next to the back entrance, close to Ednör.

Speaking of chain foods there's also a few Pizza-Pizza (I think they are only in Canada but I'll still mention it) and a McDonald's in the kiddie area.

Well, it's pretty much like every Subway everywhere, a little more expensive There's two actually, one in the Fort Edmonton "themed" area near the main entrance, and one next to the back entrance, close to Ednör.

The big question would be is who's running it? Six Flags or Subway? Subway is usually fast

Speaking of chain foods there's also a few Pizza-Pizza (I think they are only in Canada but I'll still mention it)

Well that's almost a deal sealer for me! I had my first Pizza-Pizza slice last year on my way home from Canada's Wonderland, and it was one of the best slices of pizza I've ever had. Maybe I was just really hungry and in a good mood, but it was incredible. Heaped with BBQ sauce, chicken, the works. It was nuts!

Thanks for the information guys! I'll be driving my own car, so I'll probably just keep my cooler packed and go out to the lot if I need a sandwich or snack. I did notice there is a Subway at La Ronde. Can't be too bad, could it?

You could also try the middle eastern restaurant Amir located near both Subways. If you want a sandwich, try the chicken pita, my favorite. In my opinion, a better choice and possibly one of the healthiest food choices at La Ronde.

The Monster is not all that great. It's an old rough ride. I like Goliath better. People complain it's not tall enough, but compared to other B&M coasters, our Goliath is pure enjoyment with lots of airtime! Hope you enjoy it! Yes, the last week of August tends to attract a lot of people if the weather is nice. So you might want to get a flash pass.

• 2 weeks later...

From google maps and the La Ronde home page, it looks like there are 2 entrances to the park? Plenty of folks have told me it's hard to find the entrance from the bridge... can anyone explain the best way to get into the parking lot and park?

1149583452_laronde.thumb.jpg.98ea3e40793d029bfc8268c44faaa6e3.jpg

From google maps and the La Ronde home page, it looks like there are 2 entrances to the park? Plenty of folks have told me it's hard to find the entrance from the bridge... can anyone explain the best way to get into the parking lot and park?

It's not hard to find the main entrance. While you're driving on the bridge and coming from downtown Montreal, stay on the right lane and follow the road signs, you'll have to turn to get on Jean Drapeau park. Then, you just follow the signs with the word "La Ronde" to get to the main parking lot (though some people find the signs confusing). You park your car and walk all the way to the main entrance (not difficult to find at all). If the main parking lot is full, they will direct you to the parking lot at the back of the park near Goliath and then you'll have to enter La Ronde through the second entrance. This is how it works unless if things have changed.

Going by metro is much easier and better and you won't have to pay for parking (unless if you have the pass).

^I wouldn't say it's easy to find when driving. I circled around Jean Drapeau park a few times before finally figuring out where the main entrance was down a diagonal driveway. It was a bit infuriating but fine once you finally get it. At least I got to check out the park, which is really nice. Still, taking transit there is by far the easiest way.

Thanks for the info, I'll be driving in. If anyone cares to draw on the map where exactly I go (which is the main lot and which is the overflow? which is the main gate and which is the secondary? Are both always open?), please post it or send in an IM. Thanks guys

^Thank you! That clears a lot up. I might shift my trip a couple days and try to get to La Ronde on Saturday; I know it might be crowded, but it's best bet for both side of Le Monstre being open.

Both sides were open last Sunday night, so your plan might work. Then again, they might also be open during the weekday. Just a little note though, the Monster isn't as good as before. Ever since they introduced the new trains or whatever they did to the structure, it has become much more rough to the point of being uncomfortable and painful. It will soon enter my list of unrideable rides. I wouldn't have said this, say, 5 years ago. You might still like it, but I really hope they convert it into a RMC soon (which I know they won't do)!

^One of my reasons for wanting to get on Le Monstre quick is that... as soon as they announced it was getting PTCs (2 yrs ago?) I knew it would eventually tear itself apart. I remember the Bill Cobb interview (probably in Amusement Park Journal) stating the structure and track are designed for certain train weight. I think I heard Le Monstre now has some topper track? Smart move!

I know it's not the best, but I've a feeling I'll like it

Both tracks are open most of the time, but with the season quickly coming to an end, they might close one side depending on the day of the week. Honestly, go for track 2 first, as it is IMO the best out of the 2 tracks, and it is more likely to run 2 trains than track 1 because Le Monstre only has flash passes on track 2.