TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

La Ronde Discussion Thread

It's nice to see a new SF Star Flyer not using the name "Sky Screamer". It seems like the park is doing the same thing they did with Vampire, take ride that every other SF park is getting, theme and paint it that same way, but give it a different name.

As said in the last page by netdvn, Sky Screamer is trademarked by Marineland Canada, so they were forced to give it another name.

I don't care why they didn't use that name "Sky Screamer", I was just saying that its nice to see it have a different name, even if that park was forced to do so.

Anyone else noticed the increased capacity on this one, 32 passengers instead of 24. Is this new, or is it the same on the other Six Flags Star Flyers as well?

All the SkyScreamers have the capacity at 32 riders, since their 16 rows and two people ride each one so that is 32 passengers!

Anyone else noticed the increased capacity on this one, 32 passengers instead of 24. Is this new, or is it the same on the other Six Flags Star Flyers as well?

All the SkyScreamers have the capacity at 32 riders, since their 16 rows and two people ride each one so that is 32 passengers!

Here is proof:

(Found on TPR's Park Index)

It's nice to see a new SF Star Flyer not using the name "Sky Screamer". It seems like the park is doing the same thing they did with Vampire, take ride that every other SF park is getting, theme and paint it that same way, but give it a different name.

As said in the last page by netdvn, Sky Screamer is trademarked by Marineland Canada, so they were forced to give it another name.

Well I don't know if Marineland actually trademarked the name, but LaRonde tends to use the French langauge in naming anyway.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw this on Twitter just a few minutes ago. Apparently an employee somehow died in an accident at the park today. No one is quite sure what happened yet.

http://noticiasmontreal.com/51537/un-fallecido-en-un-accidente-laboral-registrado-en-el-parque-la-ronde-de-montreal/

Rough Google translation:

An accident would have resulted in the death of a person in the park La Ronde in Montreal , said the chain a few minutes ago TVA.

Although no details of what happened, this is a man between 55 and 60 years old. It was near an attraction when it was located by Urgences Santé.

Users report more than one hour what happened through Twitter and although there is still no confirmation on that, who commented on the fact ensure that the incident would have occurred in the attraction called "The Vampire".

http://www.canada.com/Worker+dies+Montreal+amusement+park/6895619/story.html

A 35-year-old maintenance worker at Montreal's La Ronde amusement park was killed Friday afternoon after he was struck by a ride he was working on.

"They forgot to stop the ride" and it hit the man, said emergency health spokesperson David Sasson. He couldn't specify where the man was fatally struck or the name of the ride.

The man was declared dead at the scene. Another person was transported to hospital to be treated for shock, Sasson said.

Health officials received the call at about 1:30 p.m.

A La Ronde employee emerged from the park and handed assembled media a release, but offered no further comment before returning inside.

"One of our esteemed colleagues lost his life after he entered a restricted zone and was struck by the train of a rollercoaster. His identity will be kept confidential until his family has been notified of his death," the release said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."

Inspectors from the province's workplace safety board, were en route to La Ronde mid-afternoon.

They will start their investigation gathering facts and eye-witness accounts, said Emilie Pelletier, a spokesperson. A report on an accident can take months, Pelletier said, depending on the gravity and complexity of the incident.

The ride has been closed until further notice but La Ronde remains open.

La Ronde did not specify the ride involved, but an eyewitness on the scene who spoke to The Montreal Gazette said the victim was working on the Vampire, a 32-metre ride that travels up to 80.5 kilometres per hour.

The witness said people were panicking and running around. She said she helped security, who seemed overwhelmed, clear the scene of bystanders. She also saw staff members being taken away in golf carts.

"A lot of them were upset and crying," she said.

The Vampire is listed as one of La Ronde's more extreme thrill rides.

According to La Ronde's website, the roller coaster is 32 metres high at its peak and travels 80.5 km/h along a 823-metre track.

The Vampire has five hills and can handle 1,400 riders an hour.

It was designed by the Swiss coaster firm Bolliger & Mabillard.

This is awful. I don't have much to say other than that... At first I was wondering what could haven been done to prevent this, but suicide is fairly hard to prevent when someone has access to a restricted area and wants to die. What a sad event.

These kind of accident's does not happen. Sure if somebody who does not have access to the area is in there, like the Batman accident, the ya, it can happen. But not for somebody with experience and knowledge about the ride.

It makes a lot more sense after reading that it was a suicide.

It sounds like the ride was open to the public at the time. If this is true, given the design of the train, chances are the worker was struck by someone's foot/feet. Imagine the lasting psychological effect on that person. I can't even imagine how they would be thinking/feeling right now. My sincere condolences to all involved or related to those involved.

My condolences to the family of the deceased, regardless of the cause of death.

It's freaky. I don't associate my hometown and my home park with high-speed accidents, and suddenly, mere kilometres from my house, a repeat of the Georgia accident goes on.