TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Buy or Build your own theme park???

I'd probably help out some smaller community amusement parks (the Bay Beaches of the world), but the bulk of the money would go to buying a ton of rainforest or savannah and hiring the coldest killers imaginable to watch over it as a wildlife refuge. Like a pack of Chechnyans that watched their families die. Just ice cold.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not gonna lie, I totally thought about this when considering what I would do with that kind of money. Didn't realize buying a park was an option.

I've considered the feasibility of having a backyard coaster, but what's the point unless you hired someone to operate it for you? And then you have to deal with finding independent contractors and whatnot to maintain it. Would be better to own a park, and then you could collect money from that park and pretty much be set for life (assuming your park succeeded).

I'd probably be more in favor of building a smaller park (with room for expansion) near some big-ish city that doesn't already have an amusement park close by. Maybe Arizona or somewhere like that, I'd have to do my research. I'd start relatively small with some good dining venues, some family rides, a water ride or two, a good wooden coaster and maybe one thrilling steel coaster (but not like a Giga or something huge) that could draw some attention from enthusiasts and encourage people to visit my park. I'd also possibly explore the idea of having a zoo attached with like rescued animals and endangered animals.

Also, I've always wanted to have a dolphin or orca, but idk if my park would be large enough to have one there. So maybe I'd purchase an orca from Seaworld and then just leave it there and go visit it whenever I wanted to.

Here's what I want to know....

Rather than buying/building a amusement park.... can I just buy a coaster or two? What would prevent me from getting myself a chunk of land, and then meeting up with B&M / Intamin / RMC (or all three) and saying "Here's a check for 20 million dollars, build me a coaster"?

Here in Canada, the major parks are very spread out. If i had the money, I'd provably start a park in a mid-sized city that doesn't already have one; Regina, Saskatoon, Winipeg, somewhere in Northern Ontario, etc. Given the cities mentioned all have pretty short summers, I'd probably build them indoors.

If the first park turned out well, I'd consider building a chain of mid-sized indoor parks in the various cities listed above.

With regards to the original question, I would certainly buy Conneaut Lake Park (presumably for $1), pay off their debts, clean it up, restore the hell out of Blue Streak, and add a few flats. Then operate at a loss while continuing improvements.

This is EXACTLY what I would do, with the intention of making it profitable but that would take many years of good investments and probably some offerings that aren't normal amusement park offerings. Even if the park always operated at a slight loss, it wouldn't matter with that kind of money.

If I were to buy a park,I would buy Great Adventure.I would then tear down GL and rebuild GASM (but done by Vekoma),rebuild Rolling Thunder with Topper Track and then have Intamin rebuild The Chiller.And as far as rebuilding GASM,I would try to get Vekoma to have the first loop be a wraparound corkscrew like on Drachen Fire.

I'd do neither- ownership is too much responsibility and just buying into a park wouldn't be enough. Instead, I'd get the big house with the massive land around it, march over to Disney and buy the copyright and plans for Horizons (the ride system was for sale at one time) and start making magic happen. I'd be nowhere near Florida so the roof issues wouldn't happen, and I know enough people that are into animatronics for fun that would jump at the chance to get paid to maintain them. And there would be much rejoicing.

Vekoma could make it smooth.

If Vekoma could build rides like Expedition Everest and Rock-N-Roller Coaster that everyone loves I'm sure they could rebuild an old Arrow coaster.And the reason I would rebuild an Arrow coaster is-because I could !!

They did that once, and Ninja was the result. So....

In reality I would spend my money on other stuff but just for fun...

I would start a massive amusement and water park right outside NYC which needs a big park. I would add many coasters including

Intamin Giga- Blue Lightning

B&M Hyper- Excelsior Infinity

Triotech Dark Ride - Malfunction

RMC - The Knight

Intamin Accelerator - To the Moon and Back

that's just to start off but it would be one of the best parks out there up with CP and SFMM. If it was successful I would start a chain like CF of SF all over the US.

I'd want a seaside park along the lines of Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Maybe I'd find some land in San Diego and put it there and have it be also military themed. Nothing huge, but it would have to have an iconic coaster a la Giant Dipper. I'd probably take the Disney California Screamin route though and not have it be a woody, but simply look like one. RMC would be ideal, but it'd be the first RMC with no inversions, just a ton of airtime. A 300ft plus drop tower and Sky Skreamer would anchor either end of the skyline. I'd probably only have 2-3 other coasters. I loved the idea of a coaster themed to a fun house (forget where that actually is), so I'd steal that idea (at least I admit to stealing it). There'd be a ton of flat and dark rides though, and at least 2-3 water rides, and definitely something like Tsunami Soaker at SFDK.

• 2 months later...
In reality I would spend my money on other stuff but just for fun...

I would start a massive amusement and water park right outside NYC which needs a big park. I would add many coasters including

Intamin Giga- Blue Lightning

B&M Hyper- Excelsior Infinity

Triotech Dark Ride - Malfunction

RMC - The Knight

Intamin Accelerator - To the Moon and Back

that's just to start off but it would be one of the best parks out there up with CP and SFMM. If it was successful I would start a chain like CF of SF all over the US.

Nice line up of rides. Not sire on the title, to the moon and back, but oh well.

I would start a small waterpark in Grand Rapids mi. It would have 3 slide towers with 2-4 slides on each tower. A kids play structure and a wave pool. Like a father I would watch my baby grow in a huge massive waterpark. Start it small and let it slowly develop

I wouldn't waste my money on either of these options. I would use the money to travel all over the world to visit parks instead. Why be tied down to one park?

Well, I would. Doing either of the options would only take like £5-10 million and that's barely denting my winnings.