TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which Coaster Could You Ride Without Restraints?

Disclaimer! I am not in anyway endorsing unsafe riding habits or behaviours as restraints are in place for your safety on most amusement rides. I am just wondering which coaster could you handle if you had the choice to have no restraints? This is just for fun!

I would have to say The Fly at Canada's Wonderland would be extremely intense if it didn't have lap bars because you'd have to hold on tight as you navigate the tight turns at high speeds and also you'd have quite a bit of airtime on the first drop!

Edited by Johnlloyd

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you could ride 98% of all B&M hypers without a restraints... because you know they "provide no airtime whatsoever."

B&M Hypers should have one seat without any restraints, and anyone that says B&M coasters are forceless or "lacking airtime" would be forced to sit in it.

It would make these enthusiast boards much more pleasant.

I'm sure you could ride 98% of all B&M hypers without a restraints... because you know they "provide no airtime whatsoever."

B&M Hypers should have one seat without any restraints, and anyone that says B&M coasters are forceless or "lacking airtime" would be forced to sit in it.

You would still float out of your seat.

I like that idea!!

You would still float out of your seat.

Because if my size, I occasionally have an (irrational) thought of a restraint popping open while mid-ride. Whenever this thought crosses my mind on Nitro, it doesn't even phase me.

^ I actually had my restraint on Nitro loosen one click on the first drop...I can't say that it gave me a very pleasant feeling.

As far as riding without restraints, I would say that it would be near impossible unless you were riding a kiddie coaster. Although I wish that they would get rid of the seat belts and locking restraints on rides like Blue Streak and just go back to the buzz bars.

Because if my size, I occasionally have an (irrational) thought of a restraint popping open while mid-ride. Whenever this thought crosses my mind on Nitro, it doesn't even phase me.

As I explained in the SFGadv thread last night, Ive put on some weight this last year and combined with winter clothes had issues *almost* not fitting into Batman yesterday and Talon back in October. While I managed on both, yesterday it took the might of myself and two ops to get the restraint to close/buckle to snap, and it was so tight throughout the ride that when we hit the brakes I immediately unlocked my buckle for some relief, and the restraint popped open a good 8-10 inches from my chest/stomach. Even though we were now just advancing back into the station I instinctively grabbed it and pulled it back toward me, kinda freaked out a little knowing that the buckle was doing most of the work holding me in tightly. Then again its all positive Gs so I probably would have been fine. Still a little unnerving though.

^ So true.

I would imagine that if I tried to ride the kiddie coaster at my home park that it would probably throw me to my death too!

What made me think of the kiddie coasters was me watching one of the Coaster Expeditions from Europe yesterday where everyone was cramming themselves into the kiddie dragon coaster. Too funny!

None. I value my life, and after doing lap bar almost all the way up rides on Goliath and S:TE back in my SFMM ride op days, I can say for sure that it is absolutely terrifying.

I would say X2 really only needs handle bars to grab on to for certain parts of the ride.

The ride is designed so well you're not going anywhere.

Tatsu's another one I wouldn't mind getting on without restraints. Gravity keeps you in the seat.

Of course I'm being utterly ridiculous.

I don't think I'd get on any ride without restraints. Same reason I don't drive (or let anyone else be in the car with me) without a seatbelt on.

I'm not sure if the seat belts have changed on it, but Jack Rabbit at Kennywood has (or had) tiny spaghetti strap belts that stretched across both riders and were fastened loosely like a dog leash. The airtime on that double-dip can be so nuts that I never could figure how those tiny straps would ever really hold someone in the seat.

When I was a kid, I would ride with one of my parents and I remember the strap stretching out for their bodies to the extent that I could probably just stand up and climb out of the ride. It was about as close to having nothing there as it gets. The ride was always safe and great fun, but the airtime when I was younger hovered right on that "Never in America/this day and age!" edge. That's about as far as I'd go!

Edited by Samuel

^ They are seat belts with the grab bar on the back of the seat in front you. Its a shared belt and you still feel like you are standing up down that double drop. One of my favorite coaster elements anywhere ever.

I'd see being able to do a good chunk of the mine trains without any restraints since they aren't too forceful, a couple have a lap bar that doesn't seem like it does much, and there have been similar sized coasters that up until recently, ran without restraints (Roller Coaster @ Blackpool).

If you don't fall out and die before the midcourse brakes, then I'd also argue for Goliath & Titan in their 2nd halves.