TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shame!

I remember one day on the 2009 TPR Scandi Trip. I was with a big group, who wandered over to a Wacky Worm at one park. When we queued up, there wasn't much of a line. By the time I reached the station, there was a huge line of kids and mothers behind us.

At that point I thought, yeah, this is a bit screwed up.

There is no shame, only credits!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't particularly care if I get weird looks from other people, but there is something about giant water play areas like Hersheypark's East Coast Waterworks that just brings out my inner Peter Pan...I'm sure others on this site feel similarly...

Never been there but I always loved water parks and slides. Still do so it's not necessarily a 'Peter Pan' thing.

I don't particularly care if I get weird looks from other people, but there is something about giant water play areas like Hersheypark's East Coast Waterworks that just brings out my inner Peter Pan...I'm sure others on this site feel similarly...

Never been there but I always loved water parks and slides. Still do so it's not necessarily a 'Peter Pan' thing.

Yeah, kinda creepy

If loving waterparks as an adult is wrong, I don't wanna be right. If I ever get crazy boatloads of money, I'm building my own wave pool.

If I had shame, it would be at the fact that I still ride Gravitrons upside down, 'impressing' the teenage boys. I don't *need* to impress teenage boys 'cause my first name isn't Mary Kay. I think I forget how old I am once we're at the gate. I went with a group of friends to the fair a couple of years ago and we ended up full-tilt running past a group of cops that were like 'slow down youngsters!' We were all at least 25 at the time.

Me and my friends were riding Manta at Sea World Orlando, and we were all telling jokes. I decided to tell a very vulgar and offensive one.

After I told it, my friends looked at me harshly, because I completely forgot that a little girl asked to ride with us so she wouldn't have to wait in line, and she was on our car.

I felt completely embarrassed and disgusted with myself

I can think of at least a couple of incidents. Many years ago I was visiting a friend who lives near Cincinnati, and we had planned on hitting KI. Well, the evening I arrived we had some time to kill and so we (we meaning my friend and some of her friends) all went over to a nearby mall where there was a small indoor amusement park (which is no longer there from what I am told) to get the credit on the kiddie coaster. I'm not a huge credit-grabber, but I thought, what the heck, why not? So all of us (I think there was maybe 5 or 6 people, including myself, and there were some men in the group) piled into one train and, well, you can probably guess - the motor didn't have the power to pull that many adults to the top of the lift! For a moment we were afraid we had broken the lift motor, but thankfully that didn't happen. Yes, that was a bit embarrassing, especially since there were other non-coaster people hanging around and probably wondering why on earth all these adults were piling into this little dinky kiddie coaster. Well, we were finally able to ride when we split up our group.

Second was when I was with some other friends and we went to HP one day. I think there was maybe 4 or 5 of us, and we all decided we would ride the claw ride (sorry I don't remember the exact name of it). Well, HP's claw is not unlike a carny ride, at least with regards to its smaller stature. Well, as we all took our seats and pulled down our restraints, at least three of us didn't get the green light. One of the guys was just too tall (I think he was 6'4"), and he had to take the walk of shame for that. One of the women was just too big all over, and sadly, she also had to take the walk of shame, which was after she had tried another, supposedly larger seat the ride op had suggested. My problem was that my chest was just too big for the restraint to come down and lock, and so I moved over to the seat that my larger friend had been unable to stay in, and while it did save me from the walk of shame, it was a very tight, rather uncomfortable ride. So out of our group of five, two had to take the walk of shame and and I almost ended up joining them. And to make matters worse, all of our seat-shifting caused the line to get really long and I'm sure there were people who were waiting who were none too pleased with us.

And finally, I must admit that back in the day when I was "new" to riding coasters, I would actually marathon on the Mind Eraser at SFA (which was before it was called SFA).

The fart thing totally happened after some garlic the night before

About those credits. The number itself doesn't really matter. What does matter is if you are having fun, no matter on what ride that is. I wouldn't go on a kiddie credit on my own, however just having fun on it with a small group does change the situation.

One time my friend and I were at Knott's Berry Farm and we noticed that Woodstock's Airmail, the park's kiddy drop tower, had no wait, so we said "why not?" When we got to the front of the line the ride op said to us "Hi can I help you with something?" We were like "Yeah, we wanna ride." She seemed really surprised but she let us on. As the ride vehicle filled up, every single parent looked at us like we were insane. And during the ride, the parents filmed us. Imagine those parents showing their friends and family that video of what was supposed to be their kid having a fun time but instead shows two teenagers awkwardly riding a kiddy ride with a bunch of 5 year olds.

I don't regret it though- that ride was great! The drops were fun and they delivered some minor ejector air! I would totally do that again!

It may have just been me, but I noticed two distinct groups of onlookers, when a TPR Tour had members

riding 'en masse' a children's coaster overseas...

If it was in Europe, the looks on parents' faces was usually of concern and mild amusement. Not happy.

If it was in Asia, onlookers would suddenly break out in big smiles, photograph us, wave back,

(if we waved at them), and generally get a kick out of the "foreigners" riding a kid's coaster.

I prefer being shamed in Japan or China, lol.

2027110366_Resizeof0012_14.jpg.dd5af6f9006505621635d7b1daa1c2ed.jpg

Pick any kids' coaster, we rode it! TPR 2012 China Tour.

It hasn't been embarrassing in the least yet, but I've gone on the road runner express at SF:DK a few times. Anytime my friend goes to the park with me and it's busy I'll try to encourage him to try it because it technically is a rollercoaster and the wait isn't nearly as long as even Cobra.

The last time I was embarrassed was last Saturday. I go to SF:DK to check out Pacific Rim "5D". Get inside the park right at opening and go right for Pacific Rim. I end up being the only one in the line. when i get buckled in, put the 3d glasses on over my existing glasses. ::Loud speaker:: "belt on, glasses on. Are you excited!?" and i let out the stupidest "wooooo" and give thumbs up.

Then of course I got on it 3 more times throughout the day, even though it's just barely okay since that theater is finally operating again.

No shame in my game. I'll ride anything I want and could give a rats A$$ what anyone else thinks. That's their problem, not mine.

Yes, most people's shame lies in riding kiddy coasters, just for the credit. (Sort of) good for you for not minding any ride you go on.

First time I tried to ride Grand Exposition Coaster at SDC and couldn't fit.

Also embarrassing the time I had to take the "walk of shame" off Millennium Force after they had shortened the seatbelts several years ago.

As for credit counting, I agree not doing it, if that is all a person cares about and wants to brag about it. I still count for my own personal record having fun with it. I never brag about it, because I know there are many people out there with twice as many credits. To me, it is about having fun, but also a feeling of accomplishment whenever I reach a certain milestone. It reminds me of how far I've come and look back at some of the coasters I first rode as a kid. Sure, it seems stupid to ride the kiddie coasters to get credits. But, at the same time, it can make some great stories for future conversations. As long as you're having fun doing it, that's all that matters. You make a lot of memories just traveling around doing what you love.

Another fun embarrassing moment was on the Great Chase at Six Flags America. It took about 10 minutes before we could dispatch, waiting to get me in. At first I struggled to get in with one leg on each side of the bar. The ride-op then informed me both legs had to be on one side of the bar. During this time, she told us there are bigger coasters out there for us to ride. Even though everyone else was staring, it was a fun time.

Although I count coasters, it is more for myself than anything. I don't find myself bragging about it or making a big deal over it. I am more of an Amusement Park Enthusiast anyway. Seeing new parks and how they are set up and everything about them (food options, dark rides, shows, etc.) is what gets me excited. Coasters are really just gravy.

That said, I still have my fair share of kiddie coaster embarrassing moments.

As an adult, I have no shame - ask any of the people I've been on a TPR trip with .

That being said...I can think back to some of the stupid crap I did in my pre-teen years and cringe. For example, a couple of friends and I were maybe 12 at SFoG. For some reason, we were marathoning the Log Ride. Every time we went down the last drop, we'd yell "Oh My F*&^%ng God!" We thought we were so very cool, but I think back to that and just want to slap my younger self for being a douche.

As an adult, I have no shame - ask any of the people I've been on a TPR trip with .

That being said...I can think back to some of the stupid crap I did in my pre-teen years and cringe. For example, a couple of friends and I were maybe 12 at SFoG. For some reason, we were marathoning the Log Ride. Every time we went down the last drop, we'd yell "Oh My F*&^%ng God!" We thought we were so very cool, but I think back to that and just want to slap my younger self for being a douche.

This brings me back to when I was 8-9 and thought I was so cool that I was saying "damn" and "hell" instead of darn and heck I think we all go through that phase.

A picture is worth a thousand words...

It's so small you can't even face forward! I can't believe they let you ride like that. I hope it wasn't one of those super-jerky kiddie coasters or it looks like you'd be in for some serious pain.

I guess that picture needs a little more context. Those tiny kiddie coaster are found at several places in Colombia (mostly super market parking lots). For a good $169.629,00 Colombian Pesos (or USD50) they will let you ride anything, anyway you want! lol

That being said, yes, I banged my head several times and got some bruises all over my body. Sadly, as I said, there were several of them in Colombia and I ended up riding them at more than one location

Yes... I'm a whore

1530393_10152205353369243_428960602_n.jpg.323a384139ab57b34b7c05bf17b0ece0.jpg