TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shame!

Have you ever ridden a roller coaster or have done something at a park that made you feel really embarrassed? It could have been because you are 40 and you rode a kiddy coaster with loades of kids (surprise, surprise!) or you farted on an enclosed ride! Whatever it is share it so we can all laugh and distract ourselves from our own embarrassing moments.

For me it would be falling off storm surge at TP!

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This right here...

I was once a patch jacket wearing, excel sheet roller coaster counting, kiddie coaster riding, total nerd ACE member boasting about how many "credits" I've gotten. Then I realized how incredibly stupid that all was as no one *REALLY CARES* exactly how many roller coasters you've ridden because this entire hobby should just be about having fun.

IMO, if you're more concerned about how many coasters you ride versus which coasters you ride, you're doing it wrong.

Stop counting and starting riding! No one gives two shits if you've been on 50 coasters, 500 coasters, or 1,500.

I wish I would have figured this out sooner and preached this from day one.

Edited by robbalvey

If you're more concerned about how many coasters you ride versus which coasters you ride, you're doing it wrong.

Stop counting and starting riding! No one gives two shits if you've been on 50 coasters, 500 coasters, or 1,500.

I wish I would have figured this out sooner and preached this from day one.

Haha, I liked the photos, and I agree with not counting coasters. I find it slightly irritating when I read trip reports and see people boasting about their 1000th coaster. It is like counting donkeys!

image.thumb.jpg.b01c0c8c966ca621ba587bdc304e8af4.jpg

So I don't know if many of you will com this embarrassing but it was to me.

Im a games supervisor at DP. So this happened during work.

I'm at work one day and I played climbing challenge to try and get guest to play. So after I left the game I went to our stock room to start counting are prizes because we had inventory that night. I kept feeling this weird ich on my inner leg. Come to find out I had about a two inch rip in my pants. I had to walk from our stockroom back behind possession gift shop and by stinger all the way to are hr building. The only thing going through my mind was tht no one would see the rip. Am it happened in the middle of my shift too.

Probably the "leaving-jumping-a-coaster-because-of-the-backpack-dance" at Europapark last winter. And it even happend twice to me! When I left Euro Mir and Matterhorn Blitz. I had the backpack between my legs during the ride and when I steped out of the car, the strips were wrapped somehow around my legs, which caused me to stumble over the backpack I was already holding in my hands. To not fall down, I jumped around till I got the situation "under control". At Euro Mir only my ex-girlfriend saw it while at Matterhorn the ride operator laughed

Another time, not for me but for my friend at Movieland when we rode the kiddie powered "coaster"! I almost had to pull him into the cart that I didn't had to ride alone! And riding alone a Baby coaster isn't as much fun as with other people you are there with... At the end, he feeled totally embarassed and I got bored

Where: Six Flags New England

When: June 2014

I rode the Great Chase coaster, which if you don't know is the resident kiddie coaster. It was during the middle of the day, so there was a healthy crowd of kids with their parents. Rikki decided to pass (smart girl), so I got in line with all of these kids and strangers. The ride op, for some reason, decided he wanted to squeeze me in with some random kid, much to the horrified look of his mother. I'll never forget feeling as lowly as I did at that moment.

I swore to myself then that I was going to stop giving so much crap about credits and counting. I still count, but it doesn't dictate how I decide to spend my ride time; if I don't get all of the credits in a park because I feel like riding their marquee attraction again instead, so be it. I'll still (occasionally) ride kiddie coasters, but ONLY if there's absolutely no line, and preferably if I'm with people (the TPR videos of weighing down wacky worms come to mind). If I do happen to ride one, usually "I'm such a loser I'm such a loser I'm such a loser" is repeating in my mind throughout the ride.

At the end of the day, it's about having fun, not stressing out if I only have twenty minutes to squeeze my fat ass on four separate wacky worms and wild mouses.

A close second would be any time I needed to do the "walk of shame". It's only happened a couple times in my life, but the first two times it happened (Dorney, 2013), it happened on consecutive rides. I felt pretty crappy after that, too.

Edited by michaellynn4

About 10 years ago I was in high school and went to SFGAm pretty much every week on my days off in the summer. Towards the end of the season I won a giant stuffed animal on the basketball game and was carrying it around with me all day instead of putting it in the car because I was an idiot.

Anyways - last ride of the night was Raging Bull, and after thanking the ride crew I went to the bin to grab my prize. To my chagrin, a ride op was hiding in the bin and scared the shit out of me when I opened the lid. I fell, everyone laughed at me, looking back it was actually a pretty great prank.

My sister dragging me on Viper at Darien Lake back in like 1983 - I was crying like a little girl while in line.

I also had a jean jacket similar to Robb's, but it was covered in heavy metal band pins and an Iron Maiden back patch.

I was tough back then.

- The first thing I thought of was that documentary "x-number of coasters in 24 hours" where a group tried to break the record by traveling around California parks. The group would jump on the rides during operating hours; needless to say, the GP didn't appreciate it. The riders were heavily heckled and booed on Medusa at SFDK at Demon at CGA, and I remember feeling embarrassed for them while I watched the show!

- It happens to plenty of people, but I've been the guy with the stuck restraint on numerous occasions. As the team of ride operators begin to attend to the restraint, the crowd starts looking at me impatiently as if the delay was my decision.

- Occasionally, there are simply so many rowdy kids and carny Walmart adults in a park that I wonder where members of normal society have gone. I've waited in lines where I feel like everyone either came from a rehab clinic waiting room, juvenile hall, or a babysitting center. I'm in this hobby for life, and it always puzzled me that a lot of my friends just see parks as something that you do as a kid, skip 20 years, and then take your own kids. I've often wished that there were more adults who simply enjoyed going to parks. There shouldn't be a stigma there, but I know people who gawk at the notion that I love to visit amusement parks, as though it's an embarrassing hobby. I disagree, but I can't deny that sometimes I do feel like the only non-parent, non-"Walmart folk" adult in a park for miles around.

- The first thing I thought of was that documentary "x-number of coasters in 24 hours" where a group tried to break the record by traveling around California parks. The group would jump on the rides during operating hours; needless to say, the GP didn't appreciate it. The riders were heavily heckled and booed on Medusa at SFDK at Demon at CGA, and I remember feeling embarrassed for them while I watched the show!

- It happens to plenty of people, but I've been the guy with the stuck restraint on numerous occasions. As the team of ride operators begin to attend to the restraint, the crowd starts looking at me impatiently as if the delay was my decision.

- Occasionally, there are simply so many rowdy kids and carny Walmart adults in a park that I wonder where members of normal society have gone. I've waited in lines where I feel like everyone either came from a rehab clinic waiting room, juvenile hall, or a babysitting center. I'm in this hobby for life, and it always puzzled me that a lot of my friends just see parks as something that you do as a kid, skip 20 years, and then take your own kids. I've often wished that there were more adults who simply enjoyed going to parks. There shouldn't be a stigma there, but I know people who gawk at the notion that I love to visit amusement parks, as though it's an embarrassing hobby. I disagree, but I can't deny that sometimes I do feel like the only non-parent, non-"Walmart folk" adult in a park for miles around.

I've often had that experience Samuel. I usually go in a group with my friends who have kids, but I have none of my own. I do enjoy going though.

...Then I realized how incredibly stupid that all was as no one *REALLY CARES* exactly how many roller coasters you've ridden because this entire hobby should just be about having fun.

IMO, if you're more concerned about how many coasters you ride versus which coasters you ride, you're doing it wrong.

I just felt the need to quote this, because it is so true. This entire hobby should be about having fun, not about "How many coasters you've been on." I HATE when people act like they are a better coaster enthusiast than someone just because they have been on more coasters.

----------------------------------------

With that being said, I can not think of anything that I have done that was embarrassing while at a park... However, that might change. I may think of some!!

I remember back when I was ten years old, a county fair thingie that was going on at an old west style open-air museum had a few rides, which included a puny Wisdom Rides Dragon Wagon which I marathoned for a solid hour....The single most creditwhore-ish thing I've ever done...

Ohhhh goodness, on one of my night rides on Boulderdash I decided, right before the gates closed and without asking if it was ok first, to sit down next to the young attractive woman in front of me, who looked like she really would rather I hadn't, because the lady behind me was trying to ride at the same time as the rest of her group and me riding alone would've messed that up. I had to put my bag on the other side of the station platform and ended up stepping on her flip-flop-clad feet as I did so. Pretty sure I had a slight end-of-long-summer-day-funk going on too. She assured her friends behind her she had no problem with it but I felt so stupid about the whole thing.

Shame shame shame!

This right here...

I recorded this show on a VHS tape; I used to watch that serious over and over when I couldn't get to any amusement parks. For some reason I liked the music that was used in that Travel Channel Series (back in the day). Almost watched this one two nights ago but opted for the one with V2 at SFMW featured. Sneaky Six Flags ftw!

On topic, this most embarrassing thing that's happened (and it's happened multiple times) has been me slobbering all over myself when riding coasters when it's cold....I still don't know how I managed to do it. Also the first time I rode Skycoaster at SFKK. I had a panic attack and lost the strength to pull the ripcord so we stayed up there for a minute or two before I finally got it. They were talking through the speakers asking if we were ok, or if I peed myself etc.

So this wasn't my personal embarrassing moment, but I'd gone to Knott's with some friends. My one friend brought a girlfriend of hers and the four of us went on ghost rider. Well, it was summer so the girls were wearing tanks, and ghost rider being as rough as it is... Well... The poor girl's boob came out of her shirt in the photo lol. She was like "guys, we need to leave right now!" My buddy never heard her, and when he noticed he literally screamed "OMG, her boob is out!"

Lol. I died laughing but she was beat red. I don't blame her lol

So this wasn't my personal embarrassing moment, but I'd gone to Knott's with some friends. My one friend brought a girlfriend of hers and the four of us went on ghost rider. Well, it was summer so the girls were wearing tanks, and ghost rider being as rough as it is... Well... The poor girl's boob came out of her shirt in the photo lol. She was like "guys, we need to leave right now!" My buddy never heard her, and when he noticed he literally screamed "OMG, her boob is out!"

Lol. I died laughing but she was beat red. I don't blame her lol

Please tell me you at least bought the photo! lol