Favorite Defunct Roller Coaster/Ride

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

One dark ride that I miss is the wonderfully cartoony, yet gory Zombie Paradise at the Tokyo Dome. It was a very cool Sally ride, but they removed it some years ago when they redid the place.

Here's a video shot by Sally (they didn't allow guests to shoot video or photos inside).

Glad to see gone: Viper @ SFGAdv. The upgrade from Viper to El Toro is a primary contender for best upgrade in any park anywhere.

Miss: Since Laser still tours, it'd have to be B&R: the Chiller, especially once they installed the lap bars. Imagine if they had reversed the cars like they did on Freeze? Both the zero-g roll and the replacement hop (double down drop!!) would've been intense.

I have some sentimental attachments to GASM and Rolling Thunder, too, but I don't miss them. I still view GL as an upgrade and Rolling Thunder at its best rises to mediocre. It ran okay in its last couple of years, but there was no salvaging it. Zumanjaro and El Diablo are both upgrades, no matter what anyone with rose-tinted glasses says.

I'm glad to see the old Rattler gone even though I never had to ride it (IRat is too awesome to miss a Dinn). The only ride I've been on that's gone is Motorama Turnpike, but I prefer Batman. I'm sure if I got to ride Thunder Road I'd miss it but again, a border-flitting racing coaster has so much RMC potential. Or, heck, what if Intamin started doing something similar? #ifonly

Okay, so I have to admit that I slightly miss Disaster Transport. Yes, it was old, yes the building it was in was falling apart, yes what replaced it is 100% better.... But Disaster Transport had something unique about it. It was a fun little ride, and kids loved it!

Everything that was in the mountain that Volcano is in now at Kings Dominion. Time Shaft/Smurf Mountain/Haunted River. Not coasters, but it does say coaster/ride, so...

For coaster, Big Bad Wolf. Verbolten is cool, but I'd rather have kept Big Bad Wolf.

Big Bad Wolf and Drachen fire top my list, like many others.

For sentimental reasons, the Peoplemover and Rocket Rods at Disneyland. I know the Rocket Rods were awful, but still, seeing that empty track there makes me a bit sad. Also, even though I never got to ride it, the original Journey into Imagination with Figment at Epcot.

I see all of you mentioning Big Bad Wolf (which i never rode). I prefer its Arrow prototype big brother...The BAT @Kings Island. It was out of control and so fun. Almost always closed. I am one of the few that got to ride it, I'm also old now.

I had the pleasure of riding both. And while BBW was close, there is/was no Suspended Arrow like the Bat. I'm old too, I guess, but I managed to ride it ten times in its short existence. I truly miss it.

Big Bad Wolf for sure. Sadly I only got to ride it three times during a Howl-O-Scream visit ten years ago, then by the time I made it back to the park, I was too late. Worst part was seeing the ride standing there (not long before being torn down), and knowing that I'd never get to ride it again. That being said, I think Verbolten is a great ride.

Typhoon Sea Coaster/Skull Mountain at SFA was another great ride...at least on the days it actually worked.

King cobra at kings island was always a favorite of mine as a kid. I was sad to see it go and would rather have it than dilerium. .

I take this back, all of it. Complete non sense, what was i thinking. Stupid Shockwave ruining memories.

Should have listened to chuck!

• 3 weeks later...
One dark ride that I miss is the wonderfully cartoony, yet gory Zombie Paradise at the Tokyo Dome. It was a very cool Sally ride, but they removed it some years ago when they redid the place.

Here's a video shot by Sally (they didn't allow guests to shoot video or photos inside).

Yeah, that was such a great dark ride! It was pretty disturbing as only Japan can do!

Looping Star at Bobbejaanland. I love Typhoon, but still miss the great Schwarzkopf-classic.

as for other rides:

Ali Baba's Palace at Walibi Belgium. Certainly not as great as Eftelings Fata Morgana, but still an enjoyable darkride in the eighties.

I cannot think of a single defunct ride/rollercoaster I have been on that I miss. From the top of my head these are the now defunct rollercoasters I have been on (not counting those which have been relocated):

- Sierra Tonante

- Gwazi

- Great American Scream Machine SFGADV

- Rolling Thunder

And probably some kiddie coasters....

I think my ride on Great American Scream Machine may have been the least terrible, but it was only one ride and it was back in 2008 so honestly I cannot remember much of it.

• 5 months later...