TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite Defunct Roller Coaster/Ride

Sometimes we take it for granted! We have a ride we love and we ride it not realizing it will at some point come to a end. But one day we get up and hear the news! Your wonderful ride is auctioning off it's final rides! First you get angry then you're brought to tears. Finally after some time you make your way to the park for a marathon of riding to get your fix before it's too late. You've said your goodbyes. Finally you can start getting excited about what surely amazing and new ride is coming to the park! You wait and finally the park announces their NEW (more like relocated) Vekoma Boomerang! You are then so angry that you smash your computer and collapse to the floor in a pile of grief and tears! What have they done you scream towards the the heavens! What have they done!?

So with that unnecessarily long example out of the way

I was wondering what peoples favorite defunct rides are?

Also, were you happy with the replacement?

Also, what ride were you most happy about being removed? What ride removal made you dance with glee?

For me the one I still miss isl Orient Express at Worlds of Fun. I just always had a thing for that ride. Now I don't blame the park it was time for it to go. But I do still miss it.

Now rides I was happy to see go. Nice knowing ya Windjammer!

Edited by cfc

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the ride I miss the most is the Wacky Soap Box Racers at Knott's--we need more of those old Steeplechase rides, and this one was great. The replacement, Windjammer, was terrible, but at least they replaced that piece of junk with Xcelerator.

As for the ride I was most happy to see go, that's a tough one--probably a toss up between Drachen Fire at Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags Great Adventure. The Spanish Inquisition would've loved these rides.

I'm really sorry to give such a common answer but the one that really sticks out for me is Big Bad Wolf. I know everyone talks about how much they love coasters once they're gone but I can honestly tell you that when I visited Bush Gardens this was by far my favorite coaster there (Griffon was not built yet) and it's been in my top 10 list ever since. It was a really unique coaster and I really wish it was still around. I haven't ridden Verbolten yet so I can't say which ride I prefer but I'll always miss the Big Bad Wolf.

I believe I've only ridden two defunct coasters, but five if we count SBNO coasters.

The ones I was most disappointed to see go of all of them is a toss-up between Disaster Transport and Wildcat @ Cedar Point.

As for rides, I was extremely upset to see the demise of JAWS. It was a really neat ride and it was a shame to see it go.

Edited by molemaster43

^^Deja Vu isn't defunct, it's just relocated. (EDIT, then again, I think the term "defunct" could be relative)

Both Big Bad Wolf and Jaws are probably the ones that hurt me the most. I remember going to BGW in 2009, noticing all the signs celebrating the Wolf's 25th birthday, getting on the ride, loving the thing all over again, and then hearing the announcement one week later. I also miss Jaws because of just how fun a ride it is. It would have been the most glorified attraction at any other park in America, and getting a skipper who is really into the story, be it for genuine laughs or genuine scares made the experience so much more enjoyable than all the technology on its own. I miss both the wolf and the shark, and I have yet to ride their replacements, but I do look forward to checking them out.

Honorable mentions:

L̶a̶s̶e̶r̶ ̶(̶u̶n̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶i̶t̶)̶ Thanks a lot A.J., it looks great

Rotor at Riverside Park/SFNE: That ride was my favorite as a child.

As for rides that I'm genuinely happy are gone, there really aren't many I can think of. While rides like Python or Star Jet weren't the greatest of rides, I never really thought, "it's about damn time" when they decomissioned. Unfortunately, all the coasters on my bottom 10 list are still standing.

Edited by VinTheAttendant

This is all based only on rides I've been on.

The two coasters I disliked being removed the most were Stealth and Deja Vu, but since both were relocated they don't really count as defunct. For a coaster that is actually defunct, I'd probably say the Wacky Soap Box Racers, although this is mainly based on pictures as I don't remember it very well (my parents say I did ride it, however). The coaster that I cared least about its removal was Spellbreaker, as I never really cared for it and it's replacement is a very unique ride. In my opinion, the biggest upgrades for defunct coasters were Windjammer Surf Racers to Xcelerator and Psyclone to Apocalypse the Ride, and the biggest replacement downgrade was Wacky Soap Box Racers to Windjammer Surf Racers.

For non-coaster rides, the one whose removal I dislike the most is probably Perilous Plunge since it was a very fun and unique ride, although the replacement does look like it will have a much wider appeal.

My list seems to be made up of Arrow rides, exclusively.

Shockwave @ SFGAm

Drachen Fire @ Busch Williamsburg

Big Bad Wolf @ Busch Williamsburg

Those are of the coasters I've ridden. Everland's Suspended Arrow terrain coaster looked incredible, but I'll never get to see for myself.

Jaws, Back to the Future, and Kongfrontation at Universal, though I love Kong's replacement The Mummy. I also liked Wildcat at Cedar Point. And Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World.