TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which coasters are the "most fun" to ride?

This is why I actually love Lagoon so much, (besides it being my home park.) With multiple coasters to be just plain fun, as well as some rides, it doesn't have to have the fastest or extreme to have the best time, yet we still have Cannibal.

The notable ones are Spider and Roller Coaster. Rattlesnake Rapids is the ride that I have the most fun on there just because of the scenery, theming, and the waterfall is always a great laugh.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously I seem to be in the minority and everyone is entitled to rank coasters however they want but if you find Phoenix to be more fun than El Toro then why would El Toro be ahead of it in your rankings? Is it the intensity of the ride, its reputation in the community? I don't understand it but I'm curious and I think it's an interesting discussion. With me "fun factor" is all that matters but of course everyone is different.

But that's just it, fun factor is just as important to me as well, and it's why I consider Phoenix my top coaster, among other reasons. I (slightly embarrassingly) like to go "boing, boing, boing" on each of the hills on the last stretch. I like to take my non-coaster-riding friends on Phoenix because I know that they'll have as much fun as I do (and they do), and because they're not as intimidated by it. I know where all the airtime is on El Toro, yet Phoenix still always surprises me (likely due to slight variations in the non-pre-fabricated track).

El Toro is absolutely phenomenal, and it's technically the "best" coaster I've ridden. But I hit that coaster's brake run catching my breath, whereas I hit Phoenix's laughing. El Toro is a coaster I walk to with respect, Phoenix is a coaster I run, skip and / or excitedly jump to.

I would actually compare El Toro vs Phoenix to a McLaren 570 vs a Volkswagen GTI, if you know enough about cars to make that comparison.

Obviously I seem to be in the minority and everyone is entitled to rank coasters however they want but if you find Phoenix to be more fun than El Toro then why would El Toro be ahead of it in your rankings? Is it the intensity of the ride, its reputation in the community? I don't understand it but I'm curious and I think it's an interesting discussion. With me "fun factor" is all that matters but of course everyone is different.

But that's just it, fun factor is just as important to me as well, and it's why I consider Phoenix my top coaster, among other reasons. I (slightly embarrassingly) like to go "boing, boing, boing" on each of the hills on the last stretch. I like to take my non-coaster-riding friends on Phoenix because I know that they'll have as much fun as I do (and they do), and because they're not as intimidated by it. I know where all the airtime is on El Toro, yet Phoenix still always surprises me (likely due to slight variations in the non-pre-fabricated track).

El Toro is absolutely phenomenal, and it's technically the "best" coaster I've ridden. But I hit that coaster's brake run catching my breath, whereas I hit Phoenix's laughing. El Toro is a coaster I walk to with respect, Phoenix is a coaster I run, skip and / or excitedly jump to.

I would actually compare El Toro vs Phoenix to a McLaren 570 vs a Volkswagen GTI, if you know enough about cars to make that comparison.

I agree completely. I'd rank them both my #1 wood for different reasons.

Big Grizzly Mountain and Cheetah Hunt are my choices.

Honorable mention to:

Millennium Force

Thunder Dolphin

Space Mountian Disneyland and HKDL

Space Fantasy

Shuttle Loop

California Sleepin'

Wicked Twister

Powder Keg

Racer

I agree with this (for the most part). I have no idea what was going on in Space Fantasy, but I really enjoyed it. Thunder Dolphin is just "meh," but offers great views and looks cool. Powder Keg is very underrated.

Lightning Racer -- It doesn't totally excel in any one g-force category, but I'm always giggling like a schoolgirl throughout the course. It's smooth, hoppy, and visually appealing. The bouncy, weaving stretch through the tunnel has tremendous pacing, and the ride as a whole is excellent. LR is one coaster I would NEVER want RMC to touch.

Beast -- Even with the magnetic brakes and passe straight sections of track, I giggle like a schoolgirl here as well. Night rides are still incomparable, and even a slightly neutered helix still rips. Like Magnum, some people want to topple the legacy of the Beast in favor of newer stuff, but I think these imprecise "old school" layouts add character. I also enjoy the suspenseful ambiance of slowly ticking up the lift hills on Beast, smelling the grease and wood, looking out toward the woods, and hearing that old soundtrack play through the speakers.

Maverick: This coaster is SO much fun. Front seat, charging up the LSM lift is amazing, instantly brought a maniacal grin to my face. Hitting the drop and being thrown into the restraints (I've only ridden it with the new restraints) is really awesome and some incredible airtime. The first airtime hill is great and feels like a bucking maverick. The inversions are nice and smooth, non-obtrusive and not a large focus of the ride, but still very fun. Going under the station into the mine is really cool. The launch brings a huge smile to my face and feels VERY fast. I'm not a huge fan of how early the trim kicks in, but diving down over the lake is awesome and looks great both on and off the ride. My personal favorite elements are the over-banks which just whip you over to the side and quickly bring you back. Some of the best and almost weird airtime I've experienced. The last airtime hill is good, and I hit the brake run all five times completely satisfied. Sure, it's intense, but it was SO much fun. It is tied with Millie as my favorite coaster, which is very fun, but it can't top Maverick for me.

Honorable Mentions-

Magnum XL-200: My dad rode Magnum the year it opened when he was my age, and him being able to ride it with me this year was really awesome and brought back a lot of nostalgia. The airtime on the way back is so good it almost hurts.

Millennium Force: Fast, smooth, comfortable, my first and so far only Giga

Outlaw Run

Beast

Whizzer: Just a really fun ride, especially for it's age.

Phoenix and Lightning Racer are both great coasters. Never had a bad ride on either.

The Intamin stratas are fun too when they are open and don't have a huge line.

I would say that some Arrow loopers are fun too. Viper at Darien Lake is very smooth, and while not the greatest coaster, it has a nice laid back pacing and is a nice break during the day.

I guess with me I don't see the difference. The coasters I consider to be the best are the ones I consider to be the most fun.

I mean, that's fair. I put Phoenix above El Toro because of the fun factor. El Toro is certainly the best coaster I've ever ridden, but Phoenix is my favorite.

I will never get when peeps say that. Last time I checked, favorite, and best are synonyms.

I guess with me I don't see the difference. The coasters I consider to be the best are the ones I consider to be the most fun.

I mean, that's fair. I put Phoenix above El Toro because of the fun factor. El Toro is certainly the best coaster I've ever ridden, but Phoenix is my favorite.

I will never get when peeps say that. Last time I checked, favorite, and best are synonyms.

I get it. When it comes to coasters, there are two general categories a good coaster will fall into...thrilling or fun. Now, of course a ride could be fun because it is thrilling, so things can get muddy in this discussion. However, after rides 150 coasters over the past 16 years (sincd I was 9), I got pretty good grasp of the distinction when I ride a coaster. A fun coaster will have me smiling ear to ear without being a very intense or stimulating experience...a thrilling coaster will get my adrenaline pumping and be an overall intense ride experience.

That is my best explanation, anyway

I get it. When it comes to coasters, there are two general categories a good coaster will fall into...thrilling or fun. Now, of course a ride could be fun because it is thrilling, so things can get muddy in this discussion. However, after rides 150 coasters over the past 16 years (sincd I was 9), I got pretty good grasp of the distinction when I ride a coaster. A fun coaster will have me smiling ear to ear without being a very intense or stimulating experience...a thrilling coaster will get my adrenaline pumping and be an overall intense ride experience.

Technically a thrilling coaster like El Toro is still fun.

Technically a thrilling coaster like El Toro is still fun.

I know, I mentioned that. I look at it like a Venn diagram...there are two extremes with lots of overlap.

- Racing coasters, including Grand National and Racer (Kennywood) where the tracks run close enough to interact with the riders in the other train. I've been part of some pretty amazing ERT sessions on those rides.

- Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket at Universal Orlando, though much of this is due to the on-board audio

There are lots of fun coasters out there for me. To name a few:

Any Junior Wooden Coaster with Comet at Waldameer being most fun

The Bat at Kings Island

Adventure Express at Kings Island

Thunderbolts both at Kennywood and Six Flags New England

Leap the Dips at Lakemont Park

Sooperdooperlooper at Hersheypark

Bobsled at Seabreeze

Rebel Yell at Kings Dominion

White Lightning at Fun Spot America

Expedition geforce gets my vote! Yes the drop is extreme, but the rest of the ride is just pure ejector filled fun ride.

An honerable mention goes to lightning racer and george and the dragon, just plain hands up in the air fun, and dont't forget the booing at the end

Very fun rides but not top rides for me are:

- Th13teen at Alton Towers

- Racing at Bakken

- California Screamin' at Disney California Adventure

- Tornado at Bakken

- Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Studios Singapore

Edited by rctneil

I would say The Smiler at Alton Towers, the suspense in the queue line with the cars racing over your head, and then the 14 inversions on ride are just amazing. Shame the ride is closed at the moment. I've just got back from a 3 week honeymoon in Florida and I've got to say I think I found the most fun to be The Mummy at Universal, loved it.

Shaun