TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which coasters are the "most fun" to ride?

Here's something that's had me curious lately. We all go on and on about the "best" coasters like the Rocky Mountain coasters, Intimidator 305, El Toro, Skyrush, Nemesis and others. But are they the "most fun" to ride?

When I think of the "most fun" coasters I've ridden recently I think of Lightning Racer, White Lightning, Firechaser Express, Phoenix and Kozmo's Kurves. They're the coasters that I always make a priority to get my friends to ride (except Kozmo's Kurves because credit whoring) because I know that they're re-rideable and that they make you laugh instead of scream "OMG" at the top of your lungs. Yet, Phoenix is the only one that's at the top of my coasters list.

What do you think? Which coasters are the "most fun" to ride, regardless of how "good" they are?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why, but my partner and I really enjoy Wicked Twister. It's not "scary" or "extreme" it's just... fun. Same with Bat at Kings Island. It was just "fun." Bat was one of the surprise coasters of our trip just because of how unexpectedly fun it was!!!

I think Lisebergbanan is one of the "most fun" coasters I have been on. Not extreme in any way, but a nice,fast long ride, and it does have a couple of spots of light floater air. The ride is also very smooth. It's one of those rides I feel I could ride all day without getting tired of it.

Cheetah Hunt also needs mentioning. Would have actually loved to see the trains fitted with lapbars and the heartline roll removed, as it feels very out of place and doesn't really add anything to the ride experience. But other than that the ride is extremely 'fun'.

Of the rides you mentioned I have been on Phoenix and White Lightning and I definitely agree about those. I also think the three "big" coasters at Magic Kingdom (Big Thunder, Seven Dwarfs and Space Mountain) are all extremely fun rides.

The Space Mountains at WDW and Disneyland. I love both coasters so much, especially the Florida one. In fact, all Disney coasters can be in this category. There's just something about them that makes them extra fun. Perhaps the "Disney magic" factor?

Raven at Holiday World is a good one too. It's quick, fast, and pretty intense for a smaller woodie. Nothing quite like those CCI underbanked turns that throw you side to side in your seat, and great airtime too.

Also, put another vote in for Phoenix. Having buzz bars and NO seat belt means so much literal "airtime" that by the end I just can't stop laughing. Classic.

If you define 'fun' as basically the best non-extreme coaster to ride, than my vote goes to Manta at SWSD. This coaster is pretty much the "jack of all trades" when it comes to anything you could ever want in a roller coaster. It has plenty of airtime, G-forces, interaction with the paths/ queue, and has great theming in the launch preshow. The fifty-second dispatches are an added plus. It is perfectly comfortable and smooth. The only major change I would really make to this ride would be to add some theming in the second half, and maybe make a better ending.

Silver Bullet at Knott's. The last of the great B&Ms. Not the most intense but I can't help but have a huge, goofy smile on my face the entire time. I swear it was designed by Intamin the way it flows so perfectly between elements rather than the typical B&M design of "put this element there, then put this element after it."

Here's something that's had me curious lately. We all go on and on about the "best" coasters like the Rocky Mountain coasters, Intimidator 305, El Toro, Skyrush, Nemesis and others. But are they the "most fun" to ride?

When I think of the "most fun" coasters I've ridden recently I think of Lightning Racer, White Lightning, Firechaser Express, Phoenix and Kozmo's Kurves. They're the coasters that I always make a priority to get my friends to ride (except Kozmo's Kurves because credit whoring) because I know that they're re-rideable and that they make you laugh instead of scream "OMG" at the top of your lungs. Yet, Phoenix is the only one that's at the top of my coasters list.

What do you think? Which coasters are the "most fun" to ride, regardless of how "good" they are?

Twisted Colossus during West Coast Bash, when the dueling was lined up. Sure, it is intense but it was also tremendous fun. The dueling adds a lot to the ride. Only RMC I've been on, yet. My favorite coaster I've ever ridden out of 235 (if counted correctly), including i305, Skyrush, Toro, Maverick. I liked Lightning Racer but TC is a much more fun racing coaster, being nearer the other train while doing acrobatics was spectacular.

Coasters that I find not necessarily the best or most intense, etc but just plain FUN.

Skull Mountain

Runaway Mine Train (SFGAdv)

SooperDooperLooper

Sky Rocket (Kennywood)

Jack Rabbit (KW)

The Great White (Moreys)

Gemini

Blue Streak (CP)

Steel Force

Nitro

All three b&m hypers/gig as I've been on (Leviathan, Behemoth and Goliath at La Ronde) fall into this kind of category. Nothing too extreme on any of the three rides, but all provide some really interesting forces, and in Goliath and Behemoth's case, long rides.

An honorable mention goes to Tilt a Whirls, Clifhanger/hang-gliders (flying para-trooper style flats), HUSS Enterprises and KMG Freakouts.

While not coasters, all four of the flats mentioned above always pop into my head whenever thinking about rides that aren't maybe too extreme, but always just plain fun.

I guess with me I don't see the difference. The coasters I consider to be the best are the ones I consider to be the most fun. So for me my top 5 are 1) Millennium Force, 2) El Toro, 3) Phoenix, 4) Maverick and 5) Fury 325.

I guess with me I don't see the difference. The coasters I consider to be the best are the ones I consider to be the most fun.

I mean, that's fair. I put Phoenix above El Toro because of the fun factor. El Toro is certainly the best coaster I've ever ridden, but Phoenix is my favorite.

Hmm... it's an interesting way to look at things.

On one hand I'm with coasterbill on this one because every coaster I list (other than maybe Skull Mountain) would already be one of my favorite coaster for being the "best." I might put Millennium Force above I-305 for this one because it's hard to laugh and smile through I-305 and riding Millennium Force at night is how I want to die. I've never been so happy in my life and honestly I think that is the essence of riding coasters.

Other than this it would be more of the same... coasters that are already my favorites because it's hard to distinguish. Skull Mountain would be up there though/

I would suggest that Twister at Grona Lund is much fun to ride. It's a small wood coaster with a

not-so-high lift hill. But once it gets going, it packs a punch, and just keeps (yes I'm saying it) twisting

and twisting around the small footprint it occupies.

I loved it, and was laughing through most of it's circuit, too.

TWISTER_RGB.jpg.95bff76588617d78df2529abc2f24413.jpg

Twister is a great coaster. (o:

I guess with me I don't see the difference. The coasters I consider to be the best are the ones I consider to be the most fun.

I mean, that's fair. I put Phoenix above El Toro because of the fun factor. El Toro is certainly the best coaster I've ever ridden, but Phoenix is my favorite.

Obviously I seem to be in the minority and everyone is entitled to rank coasters however they want but if you find Phoenix to be more fun than El Toro then why would El Toro be ahead of it in your rankings? Is it the intensity of the ride, its reputation in the community? I don't understand it but I'm curious and I think it's an interesting discussion. With me "fun factor" is all that matters but of course everyone is different.

I loved it, and was laughing through most of it's circuit, too.

Some times I prefer rides that just make me laugh.. as opposed to rides that are more intense. . . Maybe it's just the older I am getting, but I really do prefer a nice fun ride, over a extreme intense ride sometimes. I think that is why we rode Backlot Stunt Coaster so much (more than any other ride) at Kings Island. It was just FUN! We laughed, we enjoyed it... It was all around a really fun enjoyable ride. Every time we hit the brake run we were laughing, and to me, sometimes that's better than a ride that is so intense I am glad to hit the brake run, just so the intensity is over. IE: the Batman clones.

Big Grizzly Mountain and Cheetah Hunt are my choices.

Totally agree with you on Cheetah Hunt, that is my definition of a fun coaster. It's not the biggest or the fastest, but its extremely fun, butter smooth, and very re-rideable. My second vote would be Manta at SWSD for the same reasons.