TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Fair adds new limits on dinning plans.

Under the radar and after many have purchased the dinning plan for there 2016 platinum pass dinning, cedar fair has made some changes.

You will no longer be able to use the season pass dinning plan during any of the haunt in sept/oct. This new policy is only at a handful of there parks. The parks included in this change are...

Worlds of fun

Kings Dominium

Canada's wonderland

Carowinds

I am not to happy with this new change, as we plan on hitting the parks quite a bit during this time of year. Not sure why this change has been made, but it would have been nice to know this before we purchased our passes for next year.

Here is the link to the story...

http://cpfoodblog.com/select-cedar-fair-parks-add-haunt-restriction-to-all-season-dining/

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well that's stupid.

Thankfully, my home park isn't on that list, or I'd be really mad!

This is a terrible idea, seeing that people have shelled out $80 (I think) for a service that they don't get to use as long as they thought. Imagine a phone company says, if you switch to us, we will give you service all year long for a flat rate of $100, and then once you buy it, they say "Never mind, cutting your service off 4 months early. Sorry!". That's essentially what's going on here.

I stand corrected. However, it's still not surprising since those are "special events" where park hours wouldn't be what they are if not for Halloween.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is the beginning of them becoming ticketed.

I just reviewed the Kings Dominion web site for the 2016 Season Pass + Dining information. There is no restriction on Meals during Haunt for 2016. (Gold & Platinum SP + Dining |with and without the Souvenir Drink Bottle offer).

My guess is that, whoever manages the Cedar Fair park chain web sites, either got the parks mixed up or the info was miss-communicated. The wording I saw was that All Season Dining was not valid for admission for Haunt. In any case, it has been corrected for Kings Dominion on their web site.

I assume that, if there is any restriction for the 2016 all season dining offer, it is directed to those Cedar Fair parks who have a separate admission for their fall Haunt event. Right now, that includes Carowinds, Knott's Berry Farm, and Canada's Wonderland.

Given that KD Gold and Platinum Season Pass holders get admission to Haunt for 2016, I feel that the event is not going to be a separate admission for Kings Dominion.

WOF is not a seperate ticket event.

In fact, I think only Scarowinds is on that list

Canada's Wonderland's Haunt is a separate admission event too! I'm assuming this dining deal change is supposed to be for those that are separate admissions as pointd out, but it's weird to see the other two on there unless there was a mistake.

I stand corrected. However, it's still not surprising since those are "special events" where park hours wouldn't be what they are if not for Halloween.

Heh, I suppose that's true. I guess you could also say that July park hours wouldn't be what they are if public school was in session then. In any case, it seems to have been a mistake on the part of whoever is webmaster over these sites (I'm sure given the uniform appearance they have a small crew doing all of them centrally).

I think if they aren't already separately ticketing, they probably won't separate it now. The blow back would be significant in season pass sales, and I'm sure the inclusion of Halloween events are a major drawing aspect to Cedar Point and Kings Island's season pass sales given the number of surrounding Halloween attractions in their key markets.

Honestly it does not really bother me because I usually work at my homepark´s HAUNT event (Worlds of Fun) so the fact that I don´t get to use it does not bother me. I can see all those parks switching to a separate ticketed event in the future, which again would not bother me.

Heh, I suppose that's true. I guess you could also say that July park hours wouldn't be what they are if public school was in session then. In any case, it seems to have been a mistake on the part of whoever is webmaster over these sites (I'm sure given the uniform appearance they have a small crew doing all of them centrally).

I think if they aren't already separately ticketing, they probably won't separate it now. The blow back would be significant in season pass sales, and I'm sure the inclusion of Halloween events are a major drawing aspect to Cedar Point and Kings Island's season pass sales given the number of surrounding Halloween attractions in their key markets.

Good to know!

I'm not sure why they would change the dinning plan after the majority of them have been sold for the next season already?

The curiosity in me wants to know what reasoning they would have to change the policy. The only reason I could think of would be staffing? Even that's a reach though.

Good to know!

I'm not sure why they would change the dinning plan after the majority of them have been sold for the next season already?

The curiosity in me wants to know what reasoning they would have to change the policy. The only reason I could think of would be staffing? Even that's a reach though.

There's fine print in every theme park ticket/pass that says "subject to change..."

As I originally said, my guess is this is the beginning of turning Haunt into separate ticket events across the chain. From a business standpoint, you are paying all the extra staff required of a haunt, but losing out on extra revenue if dining plan holders can still use their pass. Most likely the change was a response to the success of Haunt's across the chain and noticing food and beverage revenue wasn't where it should be.

Good to know!

There's fine print in every theme park ticket/pass that says "subject to change..."

The "subject to change" clause doesn't give carte blanche to entertainment companies to effectively cancel the validity of tickets and force owners to repurchase them. It is intended to provide them legal cover under a variety of circumstances, but they can't sell a pass for unlimited admission during operating days and then, at will remove 50 operating days from the calendar and repackage them.

As I originally said, my guess is this is the beginning of turning Haunt into separate ticket events across the chain. From a business standpoint, you are paying all the extra staff required of a haunt, but losing out on extra revenue if dining plan holders can still use their pass. Most likely the change was a response to the success of Haunt's across the chain and noticing food and beverage revenue wasn't where it should be.

Maybe, or maybe the solution has more to do with the way the websites are managed. Who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯