TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Front Seat Vs. Back Seat Coasters.

-A lot of launch coasters (Xcelerator, TTD, KK, Storm Runner)

Storm Runner is actually the only accelerator coaster I enjoyed in a seat other than the front. The back has some /serious/ ejector airtime over the top hat, sustained all the way until the very bottom. Then you're out of your seat through the entire flying snake dive, then again in the final twister section before the brakes. Only downside is the horse collar restraint is actively trying to decapitate you throughout the experience.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

99% of the time we will only ride roller coasters in the front row. UNLESS: We have read or been told to sit else where on a roller coaster for a better experience IE: Magnum, not sitting above a wheel, second to last seat on Beast, ect... However, to us nothing beats being the front of a roller coaster, and having an unobstructed view of what's to come.

I hate having people in front of us on roller coasters. It never fails, if I sit anywhere but the front on a roller coaster I always end up behind a girl with obnoxiously long hair, and half way through the ride I am being hit in the face with her hair. Or there is always that one kid who thinks it's funny to spit on the roller coaster at random times, and I end up getting hit with it. So to avoid any of this we just sit in the front row. Another reason we started booking VIP Tours at any park we go to... We don't have to wait for the front row!

I haven't heard of such a strong preference for sitting in the front seat 99% of coasters before. Interesting to hear your take! Sounds like an impressive case of bad luck with sitting behind long hair or ill-mannered kids.

I typically always go for the back or closest to it. It took me a couple visits to CP before I finally waited for the front row on TTD, Millennium, and Maverick. And I think they're all front-seat rides. On inverted coasters I prefer the front seat - but Banshee's first drop in the back seat has some funky airtime!

Diamondback in row 2 is my favorite row, and Raging Bull's backseat rips you out after the pre drop.

RMC - I'd say Outlaw Run was great everywhere. I really didn't have a preference on where to sit. The whole ride is crazy. On Goliath, though, I enjoy the back seat simply for the first drop.

If you don't count the view generally the back is more interesting (even if it is just because of the first drop). The thing is (at least for me) that I get to ride in the front a lot less often than in the back so that probably makes it feel more special which might affect my judgement. If there is a clear front seat coaster though it's kingda ka (and TTD) as they feel like totally different (less intense) rides in the other seats.

the 'general' best seat of a coaster totally depends on the type and layout of the coaster, and with that 'rule' you could write a whole book about which seat is best, but to keep it short you kinda can guess which one is the best by looking at what manufacturer made it and their type.

B&M

Large dive machines, hypers, and if you are more into airtime BACK

small(er) dive machines, invert, floorless,stand up, giga, shallow drop FRONT

(Haven't ridden any wingcoasters yet )

Intamin

The only 'big'/successful types where the FRONT is superior are their Rocket coasters and giga's (I305 may be an exception)

All the others (which i can think of) BACK (because dear frickin god intamin knows what airtime is )

Vekoma

Brace yourself if you do not sit in/near the FRONT, on most of their coasters.

Yes im talking about you slc . (Expedition Everest is a nice exception though)

RMC

I haven't ridden any of these monsters yet

premier

As they only do lauch coasters FRONT

Old school woodies

Depending on the drops/steepness of the drops

Many low hills FRONT

some big steep drops BACK (if not too rough)

GCI

As they are known for their 'twistyness i'd go with FRONT

Of course they're are dozen of exceptions per type, I think this prediction is pretty close. As I said earlier it totally depends on the layout, however I think the most important factor is, what are you looking for? Speed, airtime, intensity, view etc (but airtime is best )

^^ Supermans pretzel loop is downright maniacal in the back row.

I'll also add I prefer floorless coasters in the front. Since Bizarro never has a line I've started waiting for the front. I also liked Hydra better in the front. The front or back of floorless coasters are usually most forceful imo, but the floorless aspect is only really apparent up front.

Usually I prefer the front seat on B&M's inverting coasters, but Hydra is a notable exception. That first drop and the drop into the corkscrew are both really good in the back.

I always prefer the front seat on launched coasters. There is nothing quite like feeling that acceleration right into your face.

I much prefer the back seat on B&M hypers to any other seat for the sustained floater air on drops, but with other hypers or air-time filled coasters my favorite seat varies:

Back Seat- El Toro, Cyclone (Coney Island), SkyRush, Wicked Cyclone, Phantom's Revenge, Ride of Steel, Steel Force

Front Seat- Phoenix, Millennium Force, X2, Maverick, Bizarro

Push- Boulder Dash & Intimidator 305

I like Millennium Force right in the middle of the train.

Interesting!! I don't think I have ever heard of anyone who prefers MF in the middle. Most people like it in either the front our the back. (Insert that's what she said joke here.)

I almost always shoot for the back with the exception of B&M Standups. They're intense to begin with- a front row ride seems to magnify that intensity.

The first drop in the last row on Raging Bull more than redeems the somewhat fluffy remainder of the ride.

Pretty much any coaster with trains that are open in the front (Skyrush, B&M floorless, B&M inverted, et al), I go straight to the front so I can ride hands up, legs out, like I'm flying. For others it depends on the coaster; I like White Lightning near the back, Phoenix on either extreme end and Rip Ride Rockit near the front, for example.

^^Can you explain your preference for Millennium Force in the middle? I've ridden it about 15 times in 2013/2014, and every single time was in row 18. 90% of the time I'm a back seat rider, especially on coasters that have even a moderate focus on airtime. This summer I'm thinking about waiting out the front for a night ride, but those back seat rides at night are just so incredibly awesome that I don't want to risk ruining that experience if the ride feels sluggish.

^It's not a strong preference. The entire experience kind of underwhelmed me, thus the small slopes on that graph. I've only had one visit, less than a half-dozen rides, none at night - so this take will almost certainly evolve in the future.

With that said, I did find the middle a little smoother on my particular rides. This was especially notable because, for whatever reason, Millie was really triggering my annoyance with it's wheel chatter. Ka and Toro similarly rattle/jackhammer, but strangely, I'm not nearly as bothered on them. (shrugs...)

Secondly, the airtime moments seemed to endure a bit longer, be gentler/floatier, and more inline with the massive scale and sweeping/large radius curves of the ride. The middle seat rides, just seemed to "fit the coaster's personality" better, for a lack of a better explanation.

^^Can you explain your preference for Millennium Force in the middle? I've ridden it about 15 times in 2013/2014, and every single time was in row 18. 90% of the time I'm a back seat rider, especially on coasters that have even a moderate focus on airtime. This summer I'm thinking about waiting out the front for a night ride, but those back seat rides at night are just so incredibly awesome that I don't want to risk ruining that experience if the ride feels sluggish.

A night ride in the front row of Millie is magical in my opinion. Absolutely worth the wait and it didn't feel sluggish at all to me (that ride is so fast!). Every seat on that ride is good, but the front is by far my favorite and I used to be a back-seat only type of rider. MF is the ride that made me want to try front row more often.

There there is the question of the "magic seat" on Phoenix, which I think is the second seat from the very front.

It's either the second or third, I don't completely remember.