TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Boy critical after falling 30 feet from Castles N’ Coasters

"Common sense is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be demonstrated for, accomplished, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men and women had common sense." - Possibly spoken by a former President.

And definitely spoken by a conservative.

Bring politics or some stupid crap like this on our forums again and you will be banned faster than you can fall off a log flume. This has nothing to do with anyone being a conservative or liberal, it has everything to do with dumbasses doing stupid things.

Please refrain from making incredibly stupid posts like this in the future.

Thanks.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this on kpho.com in the comments after their article about this.

Emily Martin · Works at Mad Monster Radio

After looking closely at the picture, I recognize this kid. I was at Castles N Coasters about 2 months ago with my niece. We were in line waiting for the log ride and THIS SAME KID was trying to sneak on the ride. The worker caught him and reminded him he had been banned from the ride for the rest of the day for his behavior. He had been caught cutting in line and was given a warning until the girl saw him switching seats with his friends while it was in motion. I remember this because he had been standing next to us and the employee asked if I knew him and if he was there with us and I had told her no. She then said she was going to have to speak with his parents and he took off. I am sorry this happened to him. I know from experience with my niece that if for any reason you need to get off the ride, tell them and they will stop it and let you get off. They have a set of stairs for people who need to leave the ride. My niece had to get off the ride last year because she got scared. When you first get on the ride, there is a recording that tells you to remain in the log and DO NOT LEAN FORWARD. I too have seen kids stand up right before the big drop to show off to their friends. I hope for the best and hope he recovers ok. Castles N Coasters should not be blamed. They outline the rules both on signs and when you first get on the ride. If someone got hurt because they refused to follow those rules, CNC should not be held responsible. They did their part, its up to the riders to make sure they follow the rules set by the park.

Like · Reply · 9 · Nov 29, 2015 8:06am

PS. Mr. Peabody is right, but I am always glad to hear anyone supporting common sense. The quote I altered is one of my personal favorite quotes ever and is so true, especially today with what we are facing. Not sure who, will need to research the exact quote, but someone said "America could only be destroyed from the inside" and our politicians on both sides are doing everything they can by allowing in so many dangerous people. Have a good day, have fun, and ride safely.

^ I think it's fine to quote someone, but I can't stand it when people start weighing in with their "right wing/left wing" whatever crap. Leave that for the political forums. This is about roller coasters and theme parks.

Interesting find though on that article. At the end of the day, the dumb will end up weeding themselves out. Regardless if they are 12 or 52. Survival of the fittest, right?

Edited by robbalvey

You know, I really am having a hard time trying to feel sorry for this kid's family, because you can't. But on the other side, and I know I'm going to get attacked by everyone here for trying to defend the 'wrong side', the thing is that idiots are everywhere. It's not possible to not have some dumb moron every once in a while who would cross restricted areas under an inverted coaster to fetch his hat or a kid standing up on a log flume resulting in fatal injury. This is why parks everywhere are forced to up their safety so these kinds of things don't happen. And when they DO (because of the victim's own actions, specifically) their families or friends *normally* try to blame anything but the actual culprit. And parks have to go through that stuff and it's sad. Even sadder than having a kid fall off a log flume because of self negligence. But hey, what can you do?

Ive said it before and I will say it again, people suck!

This may or may not be the underlying basis of the relationship between my fiancée and I. We both share a mutual disdain for other people...

In fact, I have many friends where the thing that we enjoy together is discussing how stupid other people can be.

On the topic, does it suck that someone was hurt, absolutely. But as many have pointed out, this is simply natural selection taking its course. To blame anyone at the park is grasping at straws, and the park is going to be forced to do something because of how terrified and stupid members of GenPop are...

I'm still not understanding the "I'm slipping!" part? (because I've seen it mentioned in another FB post, where a girl (who says she NEVER gets on rides), claims she also "slipped" on this same log flume.

I've watched the flume on YouTube, and wonder if he meant he slid back in the boat a bit on the little 'lift' just prior to the drop?

Feel terrible for the family, but yeah, they are not coming across well in the media (reeks of a money grab), and this accident seems totally on the kid.

Gramma and Grampa might have seen it differently, but multiple folks are supporting the park's version -- the kid stood up at the top of the drop.

"I want people to know what really happened there," Stevenson said.

This is what "really happened"...

What "really happened" is that a kid stood up on a log flume, disobeyed park rules and therefore severely injured himself.

What "really happened" was a very unfortunate and avoidable accident.

What "really happened" is that at some point the concept of "unfortunate accidents" went away in this country because all anyone ever wants to do is blame someone else for the things that they do. Guess what... sometimes people do stupid things, sometimes it's nobody's fault but their own. You don't always have to blame someone or sue someone. This is obviously the kid's fault. Hopefully he comes out of this okay and hopefully he learns from it. Period... the end. Unfortunately this woman wants to let everyone know what "really happened" and blame someone else because that's all anyone wants to do any more.

People suck.

^ First off, nobody died in this accident.

Secondly, while I know it may be harsh of me to say, sorry but I have no sympathy for the kid. That log flume has operated now for 24 years without any reported incident. I'm sure a LOT of twelve year old and younger kids have been on the ride in that time. But this one decided to do something stupid and stand up on the ride.

The knock-on effect of this kids stupid mistake will affect many people and businesses for years in the future. And there is just no excuse for that. It's a shame the kid is going to have to learn an awfully hard lesson and such a young age, but as Darwin would say, "natural selection."

I agree...i took my 2 year old nephew on Thunder Creek Mountain at Dorney and even with the lack of common sense that 2 years olds have he knew instinctively to hold on.

I'd be willing to bet this kid is an overall pain in the ass. Id love to hear from neighbors, teachers, and anyone else who knows this kid. I imagine he rarely follows any rules . I could be wrong but I'd bet money he and his family are a huge pain in the ass. I feel bad for neither of them. It's easy to ignore rules but most of us take the time to learn the rules and do the right thing.

Please let us see an interview with this family.

I know it was 100% his fault but how can some people say he deserved it and have no sympathy? So what if he was a pain in the A$$, he still doesn't deserve to have this happen to him and potentially die at age 12.

If he is consistently ignoring rules it his fault and i don't feel bad. Now the park and all amusement park visitors will pay for his stupidness. His white trash family will sue for millions.

If it comes out that he's a kid that does good for everyone around him and the accident is legitimately the rides fault I will apologize. He's as stupid as the dumb ass that got Raptored.

I know it was 100% his fault but how can some people say he deserved it and have no sympathy? So what if he was a pain in the A$$, he still doesn't deserve to have this happen to him and potentially die at age 12.

I guess in the strictest sense of the word "deserve", he stood up which was the exact catalyst for the natural reaction that followed. Unsympathetic as it sounds, he technically deserved it in a purely natural/scientific sense. Its not like an outside third party saw what happened and, after some consideration, sentenced him to falling off a log flume.

I personally do think this is sad, and I am praying for him and his family because it sucks any time someone gets hurt. However the fact that the park is being blamed is outrageous and I don't feel any obligation to see him as some kind of victim.

Bring politics or some stupid crap like this on our forums again and you will be banned faster than you can fall off a log flume.

I know...I probably shouldn't....but I can't help it....have to....just....LMFAO at this post!

Same. I laughed too hard when I read this quote as well.

It is that kids his own mistake and I feel sorry for the park, who did nothing wrong at all and are getting bad media attention right now. It is sooooo simple: STICK TO THE PARK RULES!

Wanna bet the parents are gonna try to get a nice six digit number from the park? (That is what usually happens, right)

I totally missed out on what the hell this has to do with politics.

Edited by ItsMe

The shame is, it is behavior like this that has forced other parks to install more restrictive lap restraints in their log flume ride vehicles... I wouldn't be surprised if this triggers other parks with similar installations to begin considering more stringent safety options for their rides.