TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Evacuating a flying coaster.

Has anybody worked on a flying coaster (B&M or Vekoma) that needed an evac from the lift or brake run? If so, how's it even done? I know there's floors that move up the lift, but as for actually getting guests off, how's it done? Is there some kind of restraint key that'll swing the cars down to their inverted position?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend was evacuated from Air on the brake run and said it was really simple. They rolled a step underneath the car, released the leg restraint so that your legs drop down onto the step and then release the main restraint so that you just walk out from underneath. I guess it's similar on the lift hill

I worked on Supes at SFGAdv during the opening year. When the train lifts into position you can distinctly hear a whirring noise. That's the locking pins moving into place to hold the seats in the prone position. Evac was simply a manual release of those pins. We had a stick with a socket on the end of it. Each row had an access hole that you stuck the tool into and unscrewed. The seats would then slowly lower to a regular seated position and we would then release the restraints.

I worked on Supes at SFGAdv during the opening year. When the train lifts into position you can distinctly hear a whirring noise. That's the locking pins moving into place to hold the seats in the prone position. Evac was simply a manual release of those pins. We had a stick with a socket on the end of it. Each row had an access hole that you stuck the tool into and unscrewed. The seats would then slowly lower to a regular seated position and we would then release the restraints.

Would it lower that row slightly on each turn of the key? Or was it more like releasing the harnesses where after a certain amount of force is applied it lowers by itself, just slowly?

I saw a clip of it a while back, but the row just swings down gently after a certain number of turns of the crank tool.

They seat row seems quite nicely balanced so the movement is say comparable in "intensity" to when a zacspin car freely levels itself, or the car on a zipper.

I never understood why the flyers never have the catwalk straight under the train, like on inverts.

Who wants to stare at a big piece of metal all the way up the lift hill?? .... I'm assuming it was done for a "scare" factor. Having to look straight down to the ground as you climb higher and higher. (At least that's what I'm guessing could have been a reason behind it.)

I never understood why the flyers never have the catwalk straight under the train, like on inverts.

It's mainly so that people can enjoy the view, but on inverters it's not actually really a catwalk anyway, it's just mesh and they still use a moveable walkway to evac trains

I'd be curious to see how it works on Tatsu @ SFMM considering the steep hillside that drops off below the lift hill. That elevation change gets pretty drastic rather quickly.

I've always wondered how an evac would go on Tatsu, seems like it'd be extremely cumbersome

I'd be curious to see how it works on Tatsu @ SFMM considering the steep hillside that drops off below the lift hill. That elevation change gets pretty drastic rather quickly.

I've always wondered how an evac would go on Tatsu, seems like it'd be extremely cumbersome

All flying coasters have an evac platform running on rails on the lift, it doesn't matter what the terrain under the ride looks like. You can see it on Tatsu in this picture.

http://rcdb.com/3305.htm#p=16178

Said platform is a horrible design however, as the gasoline engine exhaust is blown in the riders faces!!

I would assume you only have the motor engaged to drive the platform up the lift, if it's anything like the floors on floorless coasters (basically big ol' hunks of metal that you manually put in place one row at a time) then you just move it in to place with the motor, turn it off, and set up the railings/level the platform.

I'm aware of how it works. But I personally have been on Tatsu's lift hill for over 30 minutes and when they have issues with the platform moving and it's stopped right in front of your row blowing exhaust in your face, it sucks. All I was saying was that it was a flawed design.

I'm aware of how it works. But I personally have been on Tatsu's lift hill for over 30 minutes and when they have issues with the platform moving and it's stopped right in front of your row blowing exhaust in your face, it sucks. All I was saying was that it was a flawed design.

ah I misunderstood what you meant. Yeah I'd imagine that's no fun.

From what I've understood about evac-ing a coaster is that they are suppose to evac the first row they come to. So ideally they would evac the train from the last row to the front row on a lift hilll, there for you should never get stuck with exhaust blowing in your face.

I don't think it's flawed design. I think it was the team who was using it wrong. When used the way it is intended to be used, there shouldn't be a problem.

From what I've understood about evac-ing a coaster is that they are suppose to evac the first row they come to. So ideally they would evac the train from the last row to the front row on a lift hilll, there for you should never get stuck with exhaust blowing in your face.

I don't think it's flawed design. I think it was the team who was using it wrong. When used the way it is intended to be used, there shouldn't be a problem.

There is no way to "use it wrong."

You are actually supposed to start with the guests the furthest away from you. That way everyone is in front of you.

KBF and DLR are the same way. Furthest away from the station gets EVACd first.

I think all new B&Ms actually have a sign on the lift now saying 'if the last coach is past this point then secure the train prior to evacuation' (or words to that effect). Apologies for the tangent. But yes, they normally evac from front to the back for the reasons above, and also another benefit is that it familiarises those on the train with the evacuation procedure as they'll be able to see it.

^ that's part of it. Although if the train is anywhere near a point where it has the potential to move when the weight shifts, it'll be secured to the track where it's at.

Ok, makes sense. Think I'm the video posted earlier, the people evacuating the coaster were trying to secure the train as they got people off from the back.