TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Video and Question about 4K HDTVs!

Hey everyone! First a little gift for you. Here's a 4K Ultra HD video of Impulse at Knoebels:

If you have a 4K HD TV that streams directly from YouTube in 4K please let us know how it is!

And now a little survey for you! Please answer below as it will help us determine how many more 4K videos we post. It's almost important that you respond if you DON'T have a 4K HD TV!

1. Do you have a 4K HDTV? Yes/No (If no, jump to question #6)

2. What brand do you have?

3. Does your 4K TV have an app that streams YouTube in 4K?

4. Do you watch videos from YouTube in 4K?

5. How noticeable is the increase in quality to you?

6. If you don't have a 4K HDTV, how important is it to you to get one?

7. If you were to buy a new HDTV, what feature would be more important to you? 3-D or 4K? Or both or neither?

Thanks for your input!

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I don't have one.

It's not important to get one right now because I can barely get 720 HD through my cable provider without losing an arm and a leg every month as it is. That, and, I typically sit far enough away from the television that I wouldn't be able to notice the difference between 1080 and 2160. Plus, none of my gaming consoles run at 2160. I'm very satisfied with my iTunes and Netflix content running at 1080 right now. It's comfortable.

BONUS ANSWER! Now, I will be getting a new Macbook Pro in the near future, and that runs at 1800. Because I'm in closer proximity to that screen, the higher-resolution content might make a discernible difference. But the screen (and that of the iMac Retina 4K / 5K by consequence) is just a bonus for me, I'm not buying a Macbook Pro because of the retina display.

1. Do you have a 4K HDTV?

No

Not until more content in 4K is available. I've heard the upconverting a 4K TV does now is not enough of a difference either to pay the huge difference in price. Of course, I haven't looked into 4K in a while so there probably is more content now.

7. If you were to buy a new HDTV, what feature would be more important to you? 3-D or 4K? Or both or neither?

I probably splurge and get both features. Just because I own a few blu-rays now that came with the 3-D disc.

1 - I don't have a 4K TV

6 - I'm in no hurry to get a new TV. I'm quite happy with my 65" Mitsubishi DLP, which I still think has an amazing picture.

7 - When I decide to get a new TV, 4K will likely be a priority. Certainly more than 3D, which I have zero interest in.

dt

No, I don't have a 4K HDTV, and I'm simply not an early adopter or even mainstream buyer in this category. Perhaps I'm easily impressed, but 720 or 1080p satisfies me. Truth be told, the only time I really appreciate the incremental details with each quality level is when I'm watching roller coaster POVs! My laptop can handle 1080p just fine, and that's how I check out TPR and other media.

Overall, my TV usage is low and trending downward. I like several TV shows and my sports teams, but I give much more of my leisure time to reading. I cut cable channels last year, dropped HD this year, and am thinking about canceling altogether and just using my TV for occasional DVDs, video games, and perhaps a service like Netflix. I'm perfectly content with my Samsung 1080p TV, and if it jumped out of a window tomorrow, I'd probably replace it with an even cheaper and/or smaller model -- unless I win a game show prize, "upgrading" TVs in any way just doesn't interest me at all.

No.

Almost not important at all. I read a CNET.com article a while back about reasons to/not to get a 4K TV, and, in a nutshell, to actually have a visual benefit from the TV, you'd have to sit pretty close to it and have it be a 60"+ screen unless you're sitting right on top of it. I sit about 12 feet from my 47" 1080p LED TV, and if it got blown up by a power surge tomorrow, I'd honestly just probably get a slightly larger 1080p. The graph that CNET cited in the article is here:

http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2013/01/27/resolution_chart.jpg

I think there would have to be a significant improvement in technology or a forced technology upgrade (like there was when cable providers announced the need to have an HD adaptable box for standard TVs), or other complete lack of compatibility.

If I was going to buy a new HDTV, a higher refresh rate, reputable brand, and built in Smart TV capabilities/apps are more important to me than 3D or 4K.

1 - I don't have a 4K TV

6 - Will be getting a new TV for living room soon, but probably not 4K since not enough content is out there yet.

7 - When I decide to get a new TV, 4K will likely be a priority. Certainly more than 3D, which I see no point to at home.

Not yet.

4K Is not super important to me, however my partner really wants one, so we will be getting one before the end of this year.

I want 3-D my partner want's 4K. So we are currently looking at a Samsung 65-Inch 4K 120hz Ultra SUHD Smart 3D LED HDTV.

I have always loved 3D for the 3D effect that it gives you (especially during horror movies.) My partner loves 4K for the clarity it provides you, so at least with this TV we each get what we want!

(Hope this helps a little)

1. No.

6. Not very important, but I do like new gadgets. HD is good enough for my dodgy eyes.

7. I currently have a 3D television which I very rarely use for 3D. Glasses are too uncomfortable to wear and use for extended game playing. I hire 3D movies but they are more of a novelty than something I really need. When I replace my TV (in a number of years time) I would rate 4K as a higher priority than 3D but would probably get both if 3D is still going.

- James.

Nope.

Probably won't be getting one for a long time, there isn't enough content for them, and we got a new Smart TV in the last year.

4K. You don't see any content for 3-D TV's, at least 4K shows some promise.

Thanks for your input!

1) No, my 1080p HDTV still works just fine. Won't replace until it dies.

6) It's not important to me until 4K content is as widely available as 1080p/1080i HD content is today. That's still a long ways off so I don't feel any need to hurry. If my 1080p HDTV died today, I'd look for a cheap 1080p HDTV to replace it first before forking over the extra cash for any 4K UHDTV on the market today.

7) 4K will be more important than 3D for sure. 3D never really caught on in the home and will most certainly die a quick death when 4K eventually replaces 1080p mainstream.

To be honest, I had to Google 4K TV's, so if that's any indication...

We are still liking our 55" Samsung LED/LCD HDTV and probably won't get a new one until this one craps out - although the Blu-Ray DVD player in the matching receiver already did, so perhaps the TV isn't too far behind.

Michael has seemed quite interested in one of those curved screen TV's and I guess that is part of the 4K package on some models. So who knows...perhaps down the road.

Edit: If we bought a 4K TV, we would definitely watch the You Tube TPR videos...I already love watching TPR and music videos/concerts on the You Tube app!

1. Nope

6. Once there is enough content to justify getting a 4K TV; there simply isn't enough content out there to justify the expense. As much as I'd love for there to be lots of 4K content, with the state of the US cable industry and their death grip on both the content and the internet access carrying any streaming content, I don't see the 4K transition happening anytime soon.

7. 4K... I have a HDTV that supports 3D and to me it's a nothing more than a gimmick.

Well, looks like I'll be ice breaker here.

Before I left Best Buy, I had the opportunity to buy a 4k for half off after completing some training from Sony and Samsung. So, I figured, why not? The rear-projection was seeing its final days anyways.

1. Yes, I own a 4k TV

2. 55" Sony Bravia XBR55X850C

3. The TV has Android TV built right into it. Therefore, the Youtube App is on it, and it does 4k as well as Netflix which also does 4k content.

4. Yes, we watch 4k content from the Youtube app. I streamed the Impulse pov on it today as well. Quite impressed!

5. The thing I will mention, is that with 4k content, it truly varies. If you're streaming from a 4k DVD player or a content box, absolutely you notice the difference. It's shot perfectly, and there is no interruptions. Even the up-scaling has a noticeable difference. However, Youtube content can vary. Especially if you have terrible wifi reception assuming you didn't plug in the TV directly. You just never know. But gaming...

So in all, yes, I believe there is a noticeable difference. Coming from a 55" 1080p Samsung, Sony colors really do shine here. And on the Impulse video, it was no different. Very sharp, vibrant colors. Even from far away.

7. If I had to buy it over again, I'd say I go still for the 4k TV. I couldn't pass up on the offer. In total, I dropped $900. At the time it retailed for $1,800. But my wife? She does not notice a difference, and was against buying it. But she knew we had to get one anyways. Also, if it has 4k, more than not it has 3D. Our Sony does, but it did not come with glasses.

Hope this helps! I personally would love to see more 4k content. On ride and off ride!

1 - I do not have a 4K TV

6 - If the content and technology for it picks up, I would strongly consider it for my next TV but that is a couple of years away.

7 - Much more interested in 4K than 3D. I have no interest in 3D.

same